59 replies [Last post]
best all around rifle -338 win mag

to each his own maybe someday you will be able to get a howitzer and you can go antelope hunting with it,you know because its all you had avaliable.

Giving it a little more thought.
An all around would have to include large dangerous game.
The 375 H&H makes more sense as an all around.
Inherently accurate.
Can be downloaded to very low levels.
Can be up loaded to very high levels.
Will reach, way out there, and touch something. A great open country round.
Is usable on african dangerous game.
Good selection of bullets.
Good selection of powders.
Will penetrate at any angle of entry.
Recoil is tolerable. For awhile!

The 338wm is good.

There are some very fine 338's.
For the lower 48. I would go with something in a potent 30 cal.
Include Alaska and Africa. I would bypass the 338's and opt for the 375.

A 30-378 WBY Mag would reach way out there, and there's also the 338-378, which would kill just about anything. Really though, for this continent, a 300 Mag is more than enough.

I have a Winchester 70 in .338 Win.Mag. and i really like but as to an all around rifle there ain't no such thing.Now i know some of our better halfs sneak on these forums and sooner or later their going to realize that maybe we can get along with one rifle.Just think about it no more new guns (scary isn't it ).Hell we have a government up here that already wants to take all our guns and put frying pans and brooms in our hands.Anyway i also have a .270 and use it for deer and other things and my .308 is kind of the same but it kills deer and different things and my swift is for yotes/foxes and more different things ( getting the picture ) so as far as an all around gun i don't think there is one ?? eye roll

Taking the topic at face value and saying the 338 Winmag is the best all around rifle is like saying because it works the peanut butter and jelly sandwich is the best all around sandwich. Crappy analogy but you get the point. There are things that the 338 is good at and then there are things it is not good at.

Sure it will smack the snot out of any animal in North America, but it also smacks the snot out of the shooter and most people do not care to be beaten about the head and shoulders when they shoot. For the lower 48, it is basically overkill. Sure you can load it down if you handload, but part of being the "best all around" should also take into consideration that if you have to tailor make ammo for it, then you are having to alter things to make it fit.

What if you could get enough power to hit hard, or speed to shoot string straight all in one cartridge without handloading? No dinking around, off the shelf, just find the colored boxes that work best through that rifle to shoot p-dogs to elk, moose and bears. Would you be interested? Would you be interested in it if it didn't murder your wallet or your shoulder and the wife or girlfriend or kids could shoot it and not get beaten up?

Jack O'Connor recognized it as being more versatile than the .270 he loved. Teddy Roosevelt took it to Africa. PHs in Africa still recommend it for plains game today. It has been around for 99 years and still is always in the top 5 in reloading die sales according to the manufacturers. The 30-06 does it all and has been doing it for nearly 100 years. it does the job with less muss and fuss and recoil, costing less per shot than the .338 Winmag.

Is the .338 the best? Nope, just another choice in the shop.
Is the 30-06 the best? No, but it comes a lot closer to it than a lot of calibers do.

I agree,wel put.

I've had to date 6 30-06 rifles and have nothing but respect for them and if i never went after large bears /moose/elk i'd have no use for the bigger mag's.This just isn't the case and since bears seem to be where the moose/elk are sometimes i'll stick with my mag.As far as recoil the .338 does kick a little more but she'll sure flatten anything that wants to eat me. 8)

I killed my first 3 elk with an 06 and I never had to make a follow up shot with it,I would never count it out as a elk cartridge.

Firstly i never said the 06 wouldn't kill a elk or moose all i said was if your hunting in an area that has large bears the .338 would be a better chice.

Depends on what you consider "all around",as far as big game go,on this continent,there are many that are capable of being called all around,if they will kill the game animals and do it at the distances you need to shoot them at then I would consider them "all around".

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Rifle permit question.kamuzai810/10/2011 16:17 pm
Rifle for saleTndeerhunter204/27/2010 18:47 pm
Custom Rifle Action?Highflyer1811/16/2008 10:46 am
Nebraska Rifle Mule DeerLuckydaddy005/29/2008 10:47 am
Rifle for beginnere4c4ever1610/12/2006 16:14 pm