23 replies [Last post]
Buffalo Bore

My next box of ammo will be 225 gr. Barnes TSX loaded by Buffalo Bore.

I'll letcha know how I like them in a couple weeks.

Ty said

I talked to Ty from Barnes today. He confirmed what everyone's been sayin allslong. I dont need to go for heavy bullets when I'm shooting their TSX's.

I can't wait to try them out!!!!

Don Fischer's picture
There's a reason for that.

There's a reason for that. TSX type bullet's come out the same weight that they go in. Lead core bullet's don't. even the Nosler partition is designed to shed 30% of it's weight. I have to wonder if the TSX types do as much damage as reg cup and core or the Pasrtition?

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Damage

Don Fischer wrote:

There's a reason for that. TSX type bullet's come out the same weight that they go in. Lead core bullet's don't. even the Nosler partition is designed to shed 30% of it's weight. I have to wonder if the TSX types do as much damage as reg cup and core or the Pasrtition?

Of the animals that I have shot with the TSX style of bullet they all have been one shot kills except for one huge bull elk that took two of them, but he was dead on his feet after the first shot after the bullets took out both lungs, he just didn't know it. I do know that a couple of the cow elk that I have shot have lost quite a bit of their lower lungs when I took that type of shot and some of the others that I have shot through the neck didn't know what hit them but then again any bullet would of done the same on a neck shot.

My main reason for shooting them is the accuracy that I can get out of them, that along with not having to take a second shot except for once. So until I have a reason to switch I'll keep shooting them. Not to mention that if the environmentalist keep getting their way lead core ammo is on its way out. Sad to say.

Don Fischer's picture
i'm wondering if with the

i'm wondering if with the same shot placement results would be any different so long as a proper bullet was used? Kind of hard to do I guess, but makes me wonder. i don't use TSX type bullet's because I never felt the need. And, they're awfully expensive. On accuracy I hear a lot of people claim they are verry accurate. But some people have had no luck with them. Sounds to me like different rifles that for some reason just don't like the bullet.

I don't use partitions at all. Tried them a few times but never got them to shoot all thet well. I also like a bullet that retains weight, partitions lose to much for me. Irony of the TSX against cup and core bullet's is that you can go down in bullet weight and not loose much if any weight in penetration. Just the opposite with cup and core. To maintain bullet weight you need to go up in weight and/or down in velocity. No more than I shoot any more I probably should try some. I would rather the guilding metal bullet though. probably the copper bullet would work, Barnes has been using copper for bullet jackets for a long long time. Early TSX type from Barnes I heard had a problem with copper fouling and pressure. Them they added an extra band that was supposed to take care of it. As I recall the old barnes cup and core bullet's were made with copper tubing for jacket's, they were supposed to be very tuff!

The origional TSX type bullet I think was made by P.O. Ackley. He made copper 17cal bullet's by turning them down on a lathe. He said they killed all out of proportion to their size. They were used to take animals up to donkey's with them. Well can't find it right now but I recall his amazement at how they killed. Good books if you can find them anymore, simply volume 1 and II.

BleuBijou's picture
Ty

Ty has been there quite a while. I remember bugging him for 2 summers about 8 years ago. He was the best customer service person I had ever talked to. Very knowledgeable and very patient. I like the Barnes as well for accuracy and their knockdown power. I also like my animals to bleed from 2 holes instead of one. I also lose less meat when I make a shot in the shoulder or rib area. I shot a small Bull with 180 gr. Ballistic tip. I found the green tip under the elk's arm pit and copper and lead every where. Had a blood (bruise)spot as big as a basketball and lost some meat. However, could not find much lung larger then a quarter. I try and miss the shoulder when I can.

?

Why do you think the 225 gr. TSX carries more energy down range than the 250 gr. TSX?

And Don you gave a great post on BC. The TSX has a smaller # than most 225 gr. bullets, but yet it performs so well. I don't know of any other all copper bullets out there so I'm comparing them to other 225 gr. bullets like Sierra, Nosler, Woodleigh, Hornandy to name a few. I don't understand that one. I don't believe I'll be one to get caught up in BC numbers, but how does one argue that data?

And Critter, I seriously thought hard about selling my rifle to buy a 340 last week. But I'll make my first Weatherby rifle one I've waited longer than 15 yrs. for now. A 378 Weatherby.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
The 225 grain Barnes TSX

The 225 grain Barnes TSX bullet doesn't have more weight retention than a 250 grain Barnes TSX bullet but it does compared to a standard or premium cup and core 250 grain bullet. The reason is that the Barnes bullets are copper where the majority of others have a copper jacket over a lead core. So if you are now shooting a 250 grain Nosler Partition you can drop down to a Barnes 225 for more velocity and weight retention than the 250 grain Nosler Partition will.

Now for the .378 Weatherby all I can ask is WHY? Are you planning a trip to Africa for the Big 5? If you think that the ammo for your .338 Win is expensive take a look at the ammo for that .378. There is nothing on this side of the world that you would need a rifle like that for.

There is a story in a reloading manual that is told about a professional hunter on a hunt with a client for a lion. The client shot the lion with a .378 Weatherby just before dark. The lion made it into the tall grass from the clearing that he was shot in. The professional hunter really didn't want to go into the grass looking for a mad wounded lion. That was until he went over to look at the site where the lion had been shot. He said that there were chunks of lion, not just blood but pieces of meat. They found the lion less than 20 yards away.

BleuBijou's picture
A little

A little off subject, but I shot a 444 marlin and a 378 weatherby at some Prairie Dogs. WOW!!!! Carved a canyon right through the dog mound sending the dog 15 feet into the air. Bullets at that time were 25 cents a piece to reload for the 378. I only shot once with each round because I did not like the recoil!!! I think you will like the 225 gr. Keep us posted!!!

WHY NOT!!!

The loaded ammo that Weatherby has on their site is $159 I think. That's stupid expensive. Kinda makes me laugh really. Like I said. Its a rifle I've wanted since I decided that one day I would live in Alaska. 15 or more years ago. HAAA!!! Weren't you ever young and stupid once? Heh...so I guess for no other reason but to fulfill a childhood obsession. Both Alaska and the rifle. Uh... I might settle for the 338-378 Weatherby though!!!

Shooting a 225 gr. TSX ofcourse!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Has anyone tried Barnes ML bulletsAlphaMan012/01/2005 17:52 pm
ProGrade Ammo?COgunmoney003/28/2014 10:03 am
115 Gr Barnes TSXAFHunter604/15/2009 12:39 pm
Barnes Triple-Shock X-Bullets in .22-250Bluegunner603/18/2006 09:34 am
Barnes BulletsAlphaMan501/19/2006 13:53 pm