23 replies [Last post]
BARNES 285 TSX

Would a Barnes 285 gr. bullet made for the 338 Lapua work for the 338 Win. Mag.?

Critter... I'm gonna buy a box of Barnes 250 gr. TSX ammo next to try at the range. So I looked into the bullet online ofcourse to see what others were saying about it. I read more good than bad. But while reading I say that one guy had mentioned a 285 gr. TSX. I know you shoot a 340 and Barnes bullets. Any input?

And yes I realize that the cartridge isn't interchangable. I'm only curious about the actual bullet itself.

FORGET IT

NEVERMIND GUYS. FORGET I EVER POSTED THIS.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
OK, I forgot that you posted

OK, I forgot that you posted this.

One thing about shooting a Barnes bullet is that it is solid copper. When you are shooting a solid copper bullet you can drop the weight of the bullet down and get the same penetration power as the heavy bullets. So instead of a 250 grain bullet I would suggest that you try the 225 grain bullets.

Don Fischer's picture
I don't believe that

I don't believe that penetration from the Barnes bullet comes from a copper bullet. I do believe that penetration with it comes from retaining so much weight. From the point of entry to exit the bullet start's to disrupt. With cup and core bullet's and even partition bullet's that means the bullet start's to lose weight, one of the things that create good penetration is weight. Whenn the TSX type bullet's exit they weight almost the same as when the trip started. Nosler partitions are designed to lose 30% of their weight so the same weight partition in theory will exit weighing 30% less than when the trip started. The lead core bullet's expand and lose weight. The lost weight create's a larger wound cavity and the lost weight can also go in the form of secondary projectiles. I have heard people say the there is not as much meat destroyed with the TSX type bullet's, I wouldn't know as I don't use them, never have. I think the place that TSX type bullets shine is in their ability to make a lighter bullet retain more weight than some heavier bullet's. 

A 250gr bullet that shed 30% of it's weight only weight's 175gr. so some where between entrance and exit the bullet sheds 75grs. As that bullet sheds it also loses speed. Remember all things being equal, the heavier bullet out penetrates the lighter bullet. So to get the same results from a TSX type as a 250gr lead core you only need a 175gr bullet. I have Ackley's books and I recall he exoperminted with copper bullet's long before Barne. His were 17 cal and he turned them on a lathe. He reported that they killed like lighting! Well I don't recall the weight of the bullet, but a lead core of equal weight would probably have blown up on the way in. It will shed it's weight and velocity before it get's to where is does any good. Two things penetrate, speed and weight. If speed is excess and tears up the bullet, penetration lessens. Another thing of intrest in Ackley's books was an article on bullet wounds done at Edgewood Arsanal. They were testing the effects of bullet's trying to figure out how to better deal with bullet wounds in soldiers. One of the things that they found wes that at some point, velocity lessened penetration. The part that's hard to understand there is that I think they were testing with FMJ bullet's! I could understand with lead core bullet's. as velocity increase's, the bullet disrupts more losing weigh and effecting penetration. But with the FMJ, I don't understand it.

sooo

I would be dropping down because if I would shoot a 250 gr. they would over penetrate? Meaning not opening up enough to cause enough trauma? Then why would Barnes even make a 250 gr. bullet for a 338 win mag? Did they have CXP4 game in mind for the hunter?

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
I have found over the years

I have found over the years with shooting the 225 grain bullet that it does quite well. I have taken over a dozen elk, quite a few deer, 1 bear, and a antelope with it and none of the bullets were ever recovered from shots from 30 yards to 700 yards. As to why Barnes makes the 250 grain bullet and heaver ones, you would have to take to them about it. If I ever see Randy Brooks again I'll ask him. I do know that some people like the heaver bullets going real slow, it's a lot like a freight train going through a town-you don't want to get in front of it.

I personally like the lighter bullet for more velocity and down range performance, and there isn't a living creature on the North American Continent that would stand up to a 225 grain TSX bullet at 2900 fps.

I will suggest that even if you don't reload yet to purchase one or two reloading manuals and start reading them. They will give you a lot of information on the questions that you are asking. Just for starts if I was you I would purchase the Barnes and Nosler manuals.

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Not same caliber but here is

Not same caliber but here is a pic of a 7mm 160 TSX recovered from a bull elk at 529 yards. The only one I've ever recovered as it hit quartering to and up hill from me and broke the front shoulder and neck. Dropped on it's tracks like most animals shot with it.

PreviewAttachmentSize
001 (640x480) - Copy (4).jpg
001 (640x480) - Copy (4).jpg77.87 KB
BleuBijou's picture
Barnes

Here is a 180 gr. 30 cal shot from a 30-378 @ 200 yds from my Bull last year! First time I have ever recovered one! 2 shots and both stuck in the skin on the other side. He also had 6, 50 cal. Power Belts stuck in his skin! He was a tough cookie!!!!

slowly but surely dangit

Ok. Ok. The more you guys show me that an animal can be efficiently harvested with a lighter bullet....I gotta say kinda bums me out!!! I like the idea of using heavy bullets! But I'm liking the idea more and more of sending a bullet a little farther and still getting the same results.

Got any pictures of that elk?

BleuBijou's picture
200 LRX

I bought 3 boxes of the Barnes 200 grain LRX to try out. If I can get them to shoot I will use those. Here is a picture.

PreviewAttachmentSize
chad bull.jpg
chad bull.jpg386.54 KB
GEEZ !!!

Nice bull Bleu!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Has anyone tried Barnes ML bulletsAlphaMan012/01/2005 17:52 pm
ProGrade Ammo?COgunmoney003/28/2014 10:03 am
115 Gr Barnes TSXAFHunter604/15/2009 12:39 pm
Barnes Triple-Shock X-Bullets in .22-250Bluegunner603/18/2006 09:34 am
Barnes BulletsAlphaMan501/19/2006 13:53 pm