20 replies [Last post]
Critter's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Western Colorado
Joined: 03/26/2009
Posts: 3771
I would be willing to say

I would be willing to say that 90% of the areas that we run the wheelers in you can drive a truck and the other 10% you would need a jeep.  The big disadvantage that being in a truck or a jeep would be having a harder time seeing tracks but it is possible.  The spot that I took mine this year you could drive a 4x4 truck within a couple hundred yards.  As far as hunting them I use a TC Contender pistol in 7-30 Waters and while I have taken 100 yard shots I prefer to get within 50 yards or even closer.  This year I was in a middle of a herd and ended up shooting one that was looking at me around 10 yards away.  Now if I was rifle hunting I could of shot one from where I spotted the ones that I went after.  The nice thing is that it is nice just to get away in February and all the snow and cold but then this year it was 7 degrees one morning and we felt right at home since when I left my house it was -24. 

Topgun 30-06's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Allegan, MI
Joined: 12/11/2010
Posts: 692
I didn't even realize anybody

I didn't even realize anybody went on hunts especially for them, but rather just shot them like I do when hunting down in Texas.  The few I've shot have been when they came in to feeders that are set up for deer and/or hogs.  They are a very unique animal in that they have what I refer to as a teat that is located right on the top middle area of their back.  It's basically like a musk gland and most say they should be removed before your start skinning them.

Critter's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Western Colorado
Joined: 03/26/2009
Posts: 3771
If you just skin the animal

If you just skin the animal it comes right off with the skin.  You get into problems when you try and remove it. 

hunter25's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Colorado western slope
Joined: 11/13/2009
Posts: 3013
And I have to say in Arizona

And I have to say in Arizona we really hunted for them. In texas about 5 minutes after they heard the corn tinkling off the feeder blades they would come running out of the brush, We killed 5 in 2 hours in Texas and 1 in 2 weeks in Arizona.

Critter's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Western Colorado
Joined: 03/26/2009
Posts: 3771
It is interesting that in

It is interesting that in Texas they are considered varmets and in Arizona, and New Mexico they are big game animals.  But then Texas is Texas. 

Topgun 30-06's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Allegan, MI
Joined: 12/11/2010
Posts: 692
Not really!  I believe most

Not really!  I believe most counties have a limit of 2, but don't quote me on that!!!

hunter25's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Colorado western slope
Joined: 11/13/2009
Posts: 3013
southern zones is limit of 2

southern zones is limit of 2 and northern is 1. But there is no carcass tag to put on them.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Location: San Diego, CA
Joined: 07/27/2007
Posts: 5703
Very nice Critter!  A big

Very nice Critter!  A big congrats to you!

What part of Arizona did you hunt, or did you already say that?????

Critter's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Western Colorado
Joined: 03/26/2009
Posts: 3771
We hunt an area that is about

We hunt an area that is about 30 miles north of Tucson out of the town of Oracle. 

Offline
Moderator
Location: Kentucky/ Colorado
Joined: 06/23/2005
Posts: 1737
Sounds like you guys had a

Sounds like you guys had a great time. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Back From Arizona Javelina HuntCritter1104/07/2012 19:22 pm
Arizona javelina anybody?wyflyguy701/08/2007 08:54 am
1st javelina huntPSYCHOBILLY502/17/2009 06:26 am
javelina sizehunter25202/26/2011 19:06 pm
Unit 21 Archery Javelina Huntazcoyotehunter401/07/2009 19:31 pm