6 replies [Last post]
Arrow Repair 101

July 2008 Feature Article:

Arrow Repair 101

As the wide-racked buck stood stiff-legged at 30 yards checking the wind, I ran through my preshot checklist in my mind: relaxed grip, shoulders straight, kisser button in the corner of my mouth, squeeze the trigger. Everything felt good as the release opened and sent the arrow toward the buck's boiler room. As I watched the arrows arc-like path, my eyes picked up something that I had not seen through the peep sight. Despite my sudden belief in telekinesis and my desperate attempt to alter the arrow's path slightly, the broadhead met with the limb as if it had been the intended target. I could do nothing other than watch as the arrow ricocheted and sent the buck bounding away unscathed. My only consolation was knowing that I would be able to spend more of the off season thinking about hunting as I added another arrow to the pile of those in need of repair.
Read more...

Please use this area to post comments or questions about this feature article.

Arrow Repair 101

I use the same broadheads you have in the article. I'm just curious to know what the extra o rings that are package with them are for and secondly.. if I use the 2 rings and the veins of my fletching and my arrow blades don't line up is this a problem? I'm new to bow hunting so any help with be greatly apprecaited.

Arrow Repair

Mark,
First of all, congratulations on taking up bowhunting!
As far as the broadheads, I can only tell you what I do. I use both spacers on the broadheads, but for no other reason than I don't want to lose them. They might intend for the consumer to use both or they might include them as spares. To get a definitive answer, check out the contact info on G5's website. They are a fantastic company and pride themselves in personal customer service. I'm sure they would be happy to tell you the true intention of the spacers.
You will find that many professional archers spend a great deal of time trying to get their broadhead blades to line up with their fletching. But some also weigh each arrow, field point, nock and even fletching! They most likely make small improvements in their shot groups that might make a difference in a tournament. Is all this necessary for bowhunting? In my opinion, no it is not. I don't give a second thought to whether my broadheads line up with my fletching. They will hit the 12 ring all day, if I can do my part. I just put one through the boiler room of a fat doe this morning and I can assure you the broadhead/fletching misalignment didn't change the arrow path one bit.
I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Good luck this season!

Arrow Repair 101

I know this is an older post but I'm a new member and just discovered this site. I'm relatively new to archery and I always thought it didn't matter much if the broadheads aligned perfectly with the fletching. I'm glad to hear a more experienced bowhunter confirm this. I enjoyed the article.

Arrow Repair 101

Welcome to BGH BeauAR!! First off... It matters what TYPE of broadheads you are using wether or not fletch alignment is needed. With the G5 Montechs it matters not. BUT... With some it is EXTREAMLY critical that your BH alignment is spot on or you will have planeing problems. Your Broadhead will try to guide the arrow one way while the fletchings are trying to guide it another. As far as those washers included with the G5's, they are for Arrow insert protection. Some feel that they are for fletch alignment when they really arent. The spares are there in case your blind like my old rear end and drop one not able to find it! Brick Wall,) There are many Broadheads out there that claim "field point accuracy" but Ive seen few that actually come through with that claim. So as far as fixed blades are concerned, you must test them to see how they fly no matter what they advertise. There are even some mechanical bh's that will plane improperly if not aligned. Seen it with some old rockets. Had left hand bh's and my fletches were right handed. Couldnt get a group if I walked up and stuck the damn things in by hand! So never assume. TEST for yourself and good luck...Welcome to the wonderful art that is archery!

Arrow Repair 101

Thanks for the info cam69conv. What kind of broadheads do you like to shoot?

Arrow Repair 101

I've shot the G5's ever since they came out. Never had problem with them yet. Also have Slick Tricks. They are some bad lil mammer jammers as well. I just spin them on my arrows and go to town. BOTH brands have always grouped dead on even with my field tips and I have the several sliced in half arrows to prove it. Thumbs up But again. Always test for yourself and good luck.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
arrow wieghtbrokenarrow104/19/2010 21:44 pm
Always check your arrows!!GooseHunter Jr604/17/2011 11:18 am
The right arrow set up for Elkshawn0915404/13/2010 21:48 pm
Arrow Selectioncomulies09203/30/2010 10:07 am
Need an honest opinion for a bow & arrow product being syoungblood207312/28/2006 04:47 am