4 replies [Last post]
Arizona Elk Unit 4A Archery 2008

I've been putting in for Arizona Elk for the past few years (building up bonus points) and this year I (along with my two buddies) were lucky enough to draw tags for Arizona's Unit 4a. I was just curious if anyone has hunted this area before, and had any advice/tips on the area.[/b]

Great tag! Thumbs up 4A is my back yard. Concentrate on the thickest tree-lines that meet the meadows, especially those that adjoin the tributary drainages of Chevelon and Clear Creek Canyons. With an annual rainfall of only 6-7", the elk rely heavily on stock water. Also, don't overlook areas near seeps, springs and pot holes in the shallower tributary canyons. A good starting point in the lower country is west and south of Burro Weed, along Clear Creek Canyon. Good luck!

AZ~Thunder

Ryan Byman's picture
Unit 4A

What time of the year is your hunt? If its during the rut you are lucky! You can use calls and get closer to bulls because they are distracted by everything else. If its late season (nov.) then good luck. I got drawn for 22N late season. Guaranteed you wont hear a peep from the elk late season. More often than not you will become quite angry at the darn squirrels giving away your position. Congrats on drawing that area, it is one of the best in the state.

Another thing, dont road hunt. Go as far from the roads as possible (any season) and rugged terrain is your friend (late season).

Hey thanks for the advice, I'll definetly check those areas out. I spoke with a friend who is suppose to be meeting up w/ us out there, and he suggested starting in Leonard Canyon, which i believe is just south of Clear Creek. Have you ever hunted this area before?

And as far as calling techniques go: I was planning on doing more cow calling as opposed to bugling (more for locating)... any other tips?

Thanks Again,

Nate

AZThunder wrote:
Great tag! Thumbs up 4A is my back yard. Concentrate on the thickest tree-lines that meet the meadows, especially those that adjoin the tributary drainages of Chevelon and Clear Creek Canyons. With an annual rainfall of only 6-7", the elk rely heavily on stock water. Also, don't overlook areas near seeps, springs and pot holes in the shallower tributary canyons. A good starting point in the lower country is west and south of Burro Weed, along Clear Creek Canyon. Good luck!

AZ~Thunder

I have hunted 4A a number of times. Dont rule out the northern region of the unit .... Ohaco Tank is one that you may want to look at.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Archery Cow Elk Hunt in Arizona Unit 11MCGRHunter006/30/2009 22:49 pm
arizona huntsdarb308/22/2004 23:27 pm
Unit 21 Archery Javelina Huntazcoyotehunter401/07/2009 19:31 pm
Arizona Unit 27 Archery ElkStanB003/31/2013 14:51 pm
Arizona Unit 27 Archery ElkStanB204/03/2013 08:29 am