7 replies [Last post]
amy
archery season 2002 for elk in colorado

Has there been any discussion if there is going to be a archery season this year in Colorado due to the fires?

cowgal's picture

Hi Amy, I live in Colorado and to date I have not heard that the fires will affect any of the hunting seasons. It of course will depend on where you plan on hunting, since the whole state is not impacted by the fires.

amy

We are planning to hunt/camp in the Grand Mesa National Forest, near Colbran, Colorado. I have been watching the news, and updates on the internet. Please give me any information concerning hunting/camping in this area due to the fires.

cowgal's picture

To date that area has not been affected or impacted by fires. In fact that portion of Colorado has been ok so far. However things change from day to day and I would inquire a few days before coming out. When are you planning on coming out? From where?

amy

Hi Cowgal, We are planning to be there from 8-30-02 -9-7-02. I'm really concerned about the smoke and if they are even going to let people into the parks just for precautions. We live in Missiouri and this will be our 4th year elk hunting there. Thanks for getting back to me. Its greatly appreciated. Where do you live?

cowgal's picture

Amy, for right now the Collbran area should be ok, and not affected by the smoke. Our winds are primarily from the west, so the fire would have to be west of that area. However when the winds shift, then yes the whole state has had smoke, but that generally creates an overall haziness and should not affect hunting. Most of the smoke has affected the eastern half of the state, like around the Denver/Colorado Springs area. I live in western Colorado, about 100 miles north of Collbran, and we've had smoky days, but this past week its been clearing up very nicely. They did have some smaller brush fires down around Grand Junction, and those are likely to cause some smoke in Collbran, again depending on the prevailing winds. Post here again or drop me a private message, I would be happy to give you the status when its closer to the date you start traveling. We'll keep our fingers crossed that the fires calm down & we get some RAIN!!

The entire state does have fire bans, so no campfires, and I'm guessing it will stay that way through hunting season. So hunters do need to come prepared for that situation.

[ This Message was edited by: cowgal on 2002-06-26 21:35 ]

bitmasher's picture

Amy,

I'll back up what Cowgal said. Unless you are going hunting near Lake George or Durango, it doesn't look like there should be a problem. Although there are the hottest months of the year still ahead.

Sounds like Arizona is getting the worst of it now. Hope they get some rain soon too.

Amy,

You may want to check out what areas of the state are closed due to fires or fire dangers. Look here for the latest info. We will try to post new info as the Colorado Division of Wildlife releases.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like