4 replies [Last post]
Archery CO GMU 444 Deer

Hello,

New to the forums. I drew a Mule Deer Archery Tag for Unit 444. I understand that in 07/08 the herd took a pretty big hit from the winter but has since come back and should be pretty good. I was wondering if anyone had advice on which part of the unit to attack? I plan on hiking in with a pack. I've looked at coming into the unit through Hagarman Pass but also through Eagle to be near Crooked Creek.

Jason
Aurora, CO

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
444 isn't that big of a unit

444 isn't that big of a unit that you need to think about packing in on. I have hunted it for the last 20 years and have averaged a deer about every 4 years, but then I am looking for big deer and pass on a lot of the smaller ones each year. Your plans sound good and you should do well. I have hunted the area to the west of Crooked Creek Pass a couple of times and have always seen deer, the area back to the east seams to hold some larger ones but then you are getting into the wilderness area.

Thanks for input.  Any free

Thanks for input.  Any free camping for RV's in those areas that I can get a 36 footer too?  I intitally was gonna base out by Turqoise Lake and that was the reason for packing in.  But if I can get in closer with my RV maybe through Eagle then I wouldnt have to.  

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
I have never hunted the

I have never hunted the Hagarman Pass area but it should be a good area. As for parking a large camp trailer I don't think that Eagle has anyplace to put one for a week or so. There is always the state park at Sylvan Lake but that can get expensive and it has been long enough since I was up around Crooked Creek Reservoir that I am not sure about it. There are a couple of camp grounds by Gypsum one pay and the other is BLM along with pull out on the Cottonwood Pass road but that would be a long haul to hunt 444 except for the western boundary of it.

If it was me I would stick with the Hagarman Pass idea and take a weekend trip up there to get the lay of the land.

I'm gonna take a trip up

I'm gonna take a trip up there this weekend and do just that... Learn the land. Thanks for the input.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like