34 replies [Last post]
April 15 2006 bear hunt

My 2 friends

April 15 2006 bear hunt

walking the cutline

April 15 2006 bear hunt

once we reached the river we decided to cross it and check on the other side of it, because of the fact that the other side of the river was damp and dark and has some thick ,, I mean thick bush.. so We crossed the river and after few steps there it was ................. A Bear Den.. right in the middle of some thick bush !!
that's what I wanted You to try to spot in pic # 3 above . Unreal how deep this den was..it was messy, stinky and Bear tracks were all over it.

I will be right back I need to sort the rest of the pictures Thumbs up

April 15 2006 bear hunt

Sorry for the delay Guys.. I will start posting new pictures rightaway.

Once We got close to the den , we start checking the surrounding very carefully not knowing if the Bear was nearby or even still in the den, but knowing Bear could not be in the den at this time of the year, I start looking around to see if I could spot him or see any signs that will lead Me to him, in few minutes I saw Bear Hair on the ground nearby, from what I have seen I think the bear has lost most of it's winter coat and still sticking around the den or even sleeping in it every now and then..
Below is a picture of that Bear's hair that I found nearby.

April 15 2006 bear hunt

After few circle around the den We found fresh bear tracks and decided to folow them hoping that these tracks were made not too long ago. after about an hour or soo We hit some heavy well used game trail and We decided to put one of my cameras there to see who is behind these trails..

April 15 2006 bear hunt

after installing the cam We sat nearby and decided to have a quick lunch , so we put our gear down and had a quick lunch and laid down to rest ,it was around 1:30 .
All of the sudden We heard something not far,, We all kissed the ground at once lol and start lookng to where the noise was coming from!!
Few looks and there was a big black thing walking on four not 100 yards away from Us, We weren't sure what it was at first but We were hoping to see a black Bear.
My freaking camera and rifle were right next to the trail cam on the ground, I was not able to move to get them, scared that I might spook the Bear nor did any of my friends for the same reason ,this Bear caugh us by surprise!
after few minutes ( felt like eternity ) the Bear start walking away and disappeared so we grabed our rifles and our gears and the hunt just began.

Soon after the brief visit We saw the Bear walking near a treeline not far from the den, I took a picture while the Bear was barely visible to Me ,, You should be able to see the Bear near the treeline in the picture below.
We start closing in on the Bear and decided to split into 3 groups and try to surround the Bear so one of us could take the shot. I had sooo many gears on me so I told the guys not to count on me to take the shot, but I will take pictures of them doing so.

April 15 2006 bear hunt

The pictures below were taking during the chase ..This Bear was always a step ahead no matter what we did or how sneaky we were. Last time We saw this Bear was near the treeline of a thick dark wood.

My 2 friends decided to corner the Bear from each side so one of them could get close enough for the shot or push the Bear out to the open where I was waiting and taking these photos.

soon enough and again the Bear caught us sneaking on him,, my 2 friends were caught in the open trying to get close while me behind looking at this hunt take place ,, I could see everything but the Bear , but I can tell the Bear is near and every second pass by the Bear is cornered and sqweezed more and more.

April 15 2006 bear hunt

Few minutes pass by and while fighting with my gear I heard BANG.... looked to the guy on the left side saw him runing toward the guy on the right so I took a picture of him runing,, then looked toward the guy on the right and saw runing toward the thick bush .....Where the Bear was standing before the shot.
What happen ? I yelled .. did You get him ? is he down ? what ? what ? tell me ?! but he kept running and then ducked down and disappeard behind the trees.

April 15 2006 bear hunt

When I saw the guys runing toward the thick bush I decided to run there too.. I droped my gears and ran like a 15 year old kid Big smile ,, soon I reached him I asked him again did You get him ? He looked at Me and said I MISSED!!!! I said no way ,, are You serious ? but from the look on his face I could tell He was not joking.. He looked at Me and said take a look at my scope!
I looked at the scope and almost banged my head to the tree.. The scope front was off the ring .. I said to Him it's ok buddy we will get Him next time.

After the short chase we stoped again at the river and agreed to quit the hunt and look for a bait site to install another cam I have with a bait next to it and leave the area and come back to check it again in few days !

The picture below is where this whole chase took place. the yellow arrow is where we parked the truck,, the yellow line is the path we took looking for Bears and the red arrow is where the chase took place . The bait site is not too far from the red arrow..
Click on the photo to enlarge it for more details.

April 15 2006 bear hunt

We walked for an hour and picked a nice spot and hanged the meat about 6 feet off the ground and the camera right next to it.. by the time we were done it was about about 6 pm.

We start our walk back toward the truck with a memory we will not soon forget ( doubt I will ever forget ) and the whole way back home we were talking about the chase and the Bear and everything else that we went thru in this awesome day in the outdoor !

We are not disapointed of the outcome... what happen to My friend is part of hunting.. hey a bad hunting day is better then a good day at work..We do not consider yesterday's experience a bad one it was an awesome, fun, enjoyable hunt , a hunt that we will never forget and one we are ready to do it again and again for many years to come !

The pictures below are during the setup of the camera site , I thought some of You might wanna see it..
Now it's ur turn to post ur pictures and ur hunting story.. Thumbs up

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Bear Hunting Magazinebearmag012/23/2005 12:14 pm
Colorado Lion LicensesEnglund205/25/2006 09:08 am
Bear(s) Hunt September 4 2006HoTm00n3509/10/2006 22:47 pm
4 Day Turkey huntRegina001/22/2010 11:11 am
Minnesota Bear Applications April 1stbrketo003/16/2005 09:09 am