9 replies [Last post]
BuckBuster26's picture
Anyone hunting the Maybell Colorado area 3 & 301

anyone hunting the maybell/craig area 2nd season. I will be heading up saturday morning as i cant get out of work early enough. Anyone have any good advice on finding some good to decent bucks?? ive hunted these areas for the past 5 years but always drawing doe tags (which you can tag out very quickly just about anywhere in these units). Decided to get buck tags this year anyone know of some good spots?? Also has anyone had any time to scout this area this year and know if the elk have  moved into the area? I know their are a few cow tags left but not sure if it would be worth it to pick one up. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

exbiologist's picture
not this year...

But I have in the past.  I feel like the are is a lot better for bucks later in the season when they are more visible, but hunt your doe hot spots or get up around the Godiva Rim country.  Good deer up there.  Probably wouldn't bother with the cow tag for 2nd season.

hawkeye270's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I second all that Captain!

BuckBuster26's picture
I absolutly love the godiva

I absolutly love the godiva rim area!!! i actually proposed to my wife up there last year!! just had the wedding 10/1/11!!!!

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Nice photo!  Congrats on the

Nice photo!  Congrats on the wedding, you guys look really happy!

Welcome to the site.  Be sure to stick around and browse the forums, adn be sure to throw up some of your own stories and photos.  We'd love to hear them.

Best of luck with the upcoming season!

BuckBuster26's picture
im from fort collins too!

hawkeye270 wrote:

hey hawkeye just noticed your from fort collins. same here!

SGM
SGM's picture
Cannot help you with that

Cannot help you with that area but want to say welcome to the forum and good luck to you on your hunt. Very cool how you proposed to your wife. Hope to see some pictures and read about a successful hunt.

numbnutz's picture
Welcome to BGH!! You'll find

Welcome to BGH!! You'll find a ton of great people and great info here. Not too many people will be willing to give up there hot spots though. I'd take Exbio's advice as he knows his stuff. I'm not much help for the area or state your talking about but just wanted to extend a welcome. Congrats on getting married. Being married has been one of the most rewarding and frusterating thing in my life at the same time. I hope you can bag a monster buck. Does your wife hunt also?

BuckBuster26's picture
thanks for the warm welcome

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!! no my wife doesnt hunt but she loves going along and spotting all the deer for me! She really has an eye to spot a well camo'd deer hiding in the brush or a slight movement of a body 600 yards out. She swears she wil never hunt or kill and animal but respects us hunters and love to tag along. She says this year she may even watch me field dress the deer! So in a way I think I am making progress with her!! We leave TONIGHT!!! cant wait got the camper all packed and everything else all I need now is this work day to go by really fast so I can get out of here!!!!

hunter25's picture
Welcome to the forum and hope

Welcome to the forum and hope you do great with your hunt. I have only hunted in those units for antelope in years past so have no information about the deer. I saw quite a few but just don't know the area as well as you already do.

Good luck again and let us know how it turns out. It looks like from you profile picture that you've had some pretty good success in the past though. Thumbs up

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Maybell Colorado Elk Report Unit 11,211SakoSlayer010/13/2009 23:15 pm
info on CO GMU 7/8 & 9/19/191BuckBuster26803/01/2012 10:42 am
mapsBuckBuster26412/08/2011 11:57 am
Moving to Colorado soonsaf8772503/20/2009 23:27 pm
Co Unit 10 Yampa riverColojoe1204/07/2010 10:00 am