10 replies [Last post]
hawkeye270's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Any Successful 2010 Sheep Hunters

Has anyone that drew a sheep tag gotten one?

CVC
CVC's picture
It doesn't look like anyone

It doesn't look like anyone was successful.  Did anyone go sheep hunting this year?  I went mountain goat hunting but that is a lot less expensive than sheep but similar terrain I think.

We have 5 of us applying for

We have 5 of us applying for sheep tags in our family but no sheep tags this year.

CVC
CVC's picture
Where do you apply and how

Where do you apply and how hard is it to draw a tag.  Obviously it is not a gimme as none of you drew.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Sheep

CVC wrote:

Where do you apply and how hard is it to draw a tag.  Obviously it is not a gimme as none of you drew.

It all depends on what state and speices that you want to put in for.  Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Nevada, and I believe Washington and Oregon not to mention Alaska all have sheep that you can hunt with Alaska being the easiest to get a tag in.  The odds in the rest of the states are a lot like winning the PowerBall jackpot  two weeks running.  I have been putting in for Utah and Colorado for 15 or so years and the chances of me going sheep hunting don't look any better now than it was when I started.  By the time that I draw a tag I'll need a wheelchair that can make it up and down the hills that the sheep inhabit. 

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Hey, you forgot to mention

Hey, you forgot to mention California.  We have sheep hunting too!!!  But, then again our odds of drawing out here are like winning the Powerball....TWICE!!!!! lol

CVC
CVC's picture
Ah yes, California, the home

Ah yes, California, the home of governor elect Jerry Brown!

I would love to do a sheep hunt but I doubt that I can maintain sheep hunt conditioning for the amount of time it might take to draw a tag.

hawkeye270's picture
Wow you guys are really

Wow you guys are really optimistic about the situation! ha I for one can tell you that I am going to be drawing my sheep tag here in Colorado next year. I am certain of it. I plan on getting my ram out of a group of 7 rams on the 3rd day of the hunt. He will have 16 inch bases and his left horn will tape to 40 1/8 inches and his right will tape to 39 2/8. He will be 14 years old and be heavily broomed while carrying his mass all the way to the weathered tips. 

You ask how I know all this. I went to my tarot card reader and she drew the albino moose card and said that it corresponds to this. I guess I believe her. I'm sorry you guys are so pessimistic. I suggest getting your palms read or something.  lol

Critter's picture
It is interesting that some

It is interesting that some people think that they are going to draw a tag in the year to come.  I started to put in for a buffalo tag in Utah back in the 70's  before they offered bouns points and have been putting in every year since and am now sitting on a bunch of bonus points that I have obtained over the years.  Every year people will tell me that this is the year for me and expect for me to draw that tag, but for some reason I am not that lucky of a hunter.  I have had friends put in just for the fun of it and draw out with zero points and then expect for me to take them to the hunting area and show them where the cirtters are.  Witch I usually do unless I had to work.  The same thing is going on with my Utah sheep tag.  I just donate my application fee every year and don't even worry about having to hunt one of them.  Perhaps by the time that I draw my tags the DOW will offer me the chance of hunting them from a off road vehicle just so that I can pack my oxygen tanks along with me.  But until then I will continue to put in for the draws and not even worry weather I will draw out or not.  Perhaps if I planned an extended vacation out of the US  for when the hunts occure I may draw out.  That's something to think about. 

CVC
CVC's picture
I guess I am just the

I guess I am just the opposite.  I always fret that I won't draw a tag even when it is a fairly high chance that I will such as for antelope in Wyoming.  Some people are luckier than others and some are glass half full type people.  I guess I think I won't draw so I don't get my hopes up too high and that way I won't be too disappointed when I don't draw.

It is becoming a really long wait

I have been applying for 12 years in colo. but still haven't drawn one yet.  I'm not sure how the weighted point system works but I don't think it gives you the advantage of the squared bonus point system.  If anyone knows how these weighted points work could you please explain it to me.  Either way somebody has to draw those tags each year.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
2010 Wild Sheep related Raffles / DrawingsRamDreamer010/25/2009 14:12 pm
Sheep hunting magazinetrouthunter006/15/2004 10:34 am
Great Taxidermist!! For Sheepjraper108/31/2005 18:01 pm
Dall sheep hunterstylerfreel312/04/2005 22:45 pm
Idaho Bighorn sheep raffle fire5179007/08/2010 18:48 pm