11 replies [Last post]
Any one hunt with a Rem. 7400 or Win. 100 ?

Would like some input on these rifles as to accurac and reliability. I presently hunt with a Bar carbine in 30-06 but would like to get another semi Big smile

I think the BAR is a better semi than the Remmies. I had a 742 that was very reliable but sad in accuracy. May not represent the lot of rem. semis but I won't have another one.

I recently had a negative experience w/ Rem 7400 semi auto. Bear hunting & my son wanted to use my Browning A bolt, so I used the remington 7400 that he was using. I didn't realize that when in the stand & chambering the first shell, you couldn't simply slide the bolt up quietly, but had to release it & let it slam up, making noise. I put it up quietly & needless to say when the bear came in, the gun wouldn't fire. I sat & quietly watched him eat & walk away hoping to see him at a later date w/ my Browning.
I'm not saying Remmingtons are bad, but I would get a bolt action.

Model 100

I have no experiance with the Remington 7400 though I've heard they're really reliable and accurate. I have hunted with the Winchester Model 100 in .308 though. It's my grandfathers gun, my dad has it now.

The Model 100 has pretty good sights. Depending on your skill, out to about 200 yards I'd say. It is a real slick shooter and you hardly notice that you have it when in the woods. Overall its a great deer rifle.

What should one do or not do when preparing semi-autos to hunt in cold weather?

I have both an older model Remington 740 ( 1956 year of manufacture) 30-06 and a Winchester Model 100 ( first year of manufacture 1961) .308. Neither have ever given me any problems. Both are scoped 3-9 x 40mm. It is very important to keep the action clean and wipe clean any oil for cold weather hunting. All I have ever used is Remington ammunition, so I am not sure if there is anything to the stories about jamming using certain types of ammo. I use only siliconized gun oil and a very light application of gun grease on key assemblies. As stated both have been good to me for both deer and moose hunting over the years. [/b]

I have a Remington 742 in .308 caliber which I love, also a BAR in .270 caliber which I also love......if I was going to buy another auto loader it would be a Benelli R1.... it comes in 30-06 and .300 mag. It is about 2 lbs lighter than the BAR but recoil is such that you have an excellent sight for your second or third round. Any auto loader requires a certain amout of maintenence to keep it trouble free, but I have heard that the 7400 Remington is more prone to problems than either the 742 Remington or the BARs. Good Luck on your choice!

PS in answer to 147 grain's question on cold weather for auto loaders....it is the same for any rifle.....strip it of all oils and greases, if you want it to function as it should....after the hunting trip oil it up again.

WD-40 is a great lue for cold weather hunting,it was designed to handle the sub-zero temps of outer space it will handle ours!

i think the accuracy and reliability with both rifles are good.

I have a 7400 that's very accurate and outshoots the 30-06 BAR, which I believe is better built and performed admirably right out of the box.

Concerning the Remington 7400 in 30-06:

Initially, the first 50 rounds produced jams every third round, so I went to work on it by bedding the action / stock / installing a LimbSaver Barrel De-Resonator / adjusting the trigger to 3 lbs., and dry-firing / working the action 1,000 times.

A major and very thorough cleaning of the action and chamber was performed. Did I say take your time and pay close attention to detail in cleaning the action / chamber / bolt?

Afterwards, the 7400 30-06 has not jammed in the last 200 rounds and is shooting groups that vary between 7/8" and 1 1/8" off a benchrest and 1 3/4" to 2" groups offhand - using 180-gr. Federal Solid Base rounds.

Speer Hot Core 165-gr. were slightly more accurate and shot the smaller groups, with the 180-gr.'s being the largest, but not my a large margin.

Will try some Nosler Ballistic Tips and AccuBonds next.

Steve

P.S. Groups definitely opened up when the barrel's hot, but no accuracy problems in firing a quick 4-round magazine from a cold barrel, as in the worst case hunting situation.

my uncle shoots a 7400 and loves it and i dont think its ever jammed on him so i dont know what hes talkin about maybe he bought a lemon winchester 7400 are great guns just make sure you look into it before you buy it or get it make sure its been cleaned right over the years and taken care of not to say they never jam but if they are taken care of right they shouldnt.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like