3 replies [Last post]
any good ideas for nosler green tip in 300 win mag

My rifle is a remington 700 sendero in 300 win mag. The bullets im most interested in experimenting with would be the Nosler green tip, Nosler accubonds, and the Nosler Partition. For the Partions I would like to stay with the 150 gr cause they seem to bleed off energy real fast past 300 yards. I like the idea of ballistic tips cause I feel like they shoot flatter, and group more consistantly. I understand the concern for ballistic tip bullets because they expand so fast. I am currently loading 165 gr green tips with 70gr of IMR 4831, and 150 gr partition with 72gr IMR4831.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Nosler green tips as you call

Nosler green tips as you call them are balistic tip bullets and are not intended for thick skined game such as an elk.  They are designed for rapid espansion once the bullet hits the animal and that is why they say that they are intended for deer and antelope.  They will work on elk size game as long as you don't hit the shoulder or have a shot that hits heavy bone.  I would also not use them on an elk if I had a quarting away shot. 

Nosler green tips are not as

Nosler green tips are not as I call them but how my Nolser loading manuel calls them. Yea I know alot of people dont recomend them and why. I also reccomend my friend to not use a 243 on elk but he does well with it. What im looking for is any good load reccomendations for that round or for partitions. Good post though

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
What's a good round in my

What's a good round in my rifle my be a bad round in yours.  I take back what I said, I went and looked and the green tip is the Nosler E-Tip lead free round. 

The best way is to start with your reloading manual and load up some rounds and see what they do.  I will usually load up 3 rounds of 3 or 4 different loads and take them out to the range and check them out.  I will also shoot them over a chronograph to see just what the velocity is and also check for signs of pressure such as harder to eject, brass flow into the ejector, and looking at the primer for cratering.  If I pick up any of these signs I will go back to a slightly less load and try again.  However some of my best groups have been with loads that were right next to maximum without showing any signs of excessive pressure.  I have even seen s difference in loads from going from a Federal to a CCI primer.  Once you have a good load then you can play around with the bullet seating depth.  Some rifles like the bullet almost touching the rifling where others like for the bullet to have a long jump to get to them, it all depends on the rifle. 

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Nosler Accubond bulletscarmen410/05/2005 05:39 am
nosler accubond bulletscarmen111/07/2003 02:09 am
Nosler 165 grain Ballistic TipWings807/04/2011 22:22 pm
30cal bullets (Co)Englund105/04/2006 18:00 pm
AR15 .223Milliondollarbear612/12/2006 16:37 pm