12 replies [Last post]
Any advice on hunting unit 18/28 in CO

looking on hunting archery with the unit 18 tag in colorado. this tag includes many units meaning a lot of ground to cover this summer to find deer and elk. all i am asking for is some advise on where to start looking. finally giving up on my old spot due to a long dry spell of not seeing any game. so if any of you have hunted these units and are willing to point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it.

exbiologist's picture
Re: Any advice on hunting unit 18/28 in CO

Get out of that area, head further west, north or south. Those are terrible units, put yourself in a position to succeed by getting somewhere more productive. Sorry if that's not what you were looking to hear. And I guess if you do want to stick it out, head down the Williams Fork and the mountains around there.

hey thats good advice, if those areas are not worth the effort then i wont waste my time. just lookin for an area in which i can buy an unlimited over the counter archery elk tag in since ill be doin the rifle hunt with my family this winter. i bowhunt on my own (everyone else gave up cause they never killed anything) so i dont want to travel too far from my denver home but im good with up top a 3 hour drive. and i want fairly limited access, i hate hunting heavily "roaded" areas since thats where everyone else likes to go so they can bugle off of their ATV. (seen it many a time) but thanks for the heads up. ill do some other research. long as your not trying to scare me out of your favorite hunting units?..... Think

exbiologist's picture

I ain't trying to scare you off a unit I want to hunt, or am I ? Evil! I don't like the Flat Tops either, you can have those too, and the Bear's Ears while we're at it. No, but seriously, 18,181 and 28 are some of the first OTC units you come to when heading west out of denver, so they are convenient, which makes them overrun. I rank 18 68 out of 68 OTC archery units, 181 is 62nd, and 28 is 50th in my data sets. What really hurts those areas is the fairly low elk density combined with fairly high hunter pressure. There's plenty of public land, but even with all that land, you're still looking at 8 hunters per square mile in unit 18. That's twice as many hunters are there are elk per square mile. I try to point people to where the odds are a little more in there favor. And in low pressure places, even you don't kill, you tend to have a good time. Like I said before, go north towards North Park and Steamboat, west towards the Gore Range or Vail, south towards the South Park units (mostly draw only, though, but easy odds typically). Every one of the places will drop the hunter densities to closer 2 or 3 per sq. mile (it really isn't that high, as I doubt everyone who hunted the unit hunted the same weekend, but you get the point).
I just think too many people get accustomed to the high pressure, and say, "oh well, that's Colorado". But outside of a handful of extremely popular areas, all of which would be good if there weren't so many people, most of Colorado is fairly low pressure. I was serious about the Williams Fork Mountains though, not many many guys fool with those, especially all the way down the Middle Fork. That's some pretty rugged country though.

Ex has some sage advice. He won't tell you, but check out his website. His other posts are pretty exemplary of his dedication to the sport.

ecubackpacker's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!

The South Park units? Which units make up this group?

exbiologist's picture

I consider the following DAUs the "South Park Units":50/500/501 and 49/57/58.

ecubackpacker's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!

Thanks Ex. I've been looking @ both 501 and 49 during my off-season research as well as others. Looks like 501, I would be able to hunt every other year & 49 every 5th year during 1st rifle. I'm just looking for a good, mature bull or even one as good as the bull you have posted in another thread. Which one of these units would you pick and why?

exbiologist's picture

I'd take 501. It's a toss up in trophy quality, elk density is close, but a little higher in 501, better sex ratio in 501, a little lower success in 501in 1st rifle (I don't have the archery stats for the limited units up yet), and the hunter density is 3x higher(but still very low in both), combined with the high elk density makes for a lot more elk per hunter, but still very good in both. And 49 takes more points for a rifle tag, so I think 501 is a better value.

28 is a fine area to archery hunt,plenty of public and u can get well away from roads.we saw a ton of elk scouting up there last august/september,all were up high and just hanging out.i shot my first bull in 28 and a couple of others and that was during rifle which is a little harder to hunt than archery season in 28.i really dont hunt up there anymore now that i live on the western slope.we really never ran into to many other hunters because we hiked in and got away from any roads.shoot me pm if u want some more info on foot access.

28 is just east of 37/371 (across the Blue River), where I hunted last year. There was a ton of beetle kill and deadfall in those units, which make it difficult to stalk and hard to pack out a critter. I am not sure about 18/28 or the specific areas you are thinking about, but those dadgum beetles seem to spread farther and faster every year. Something to consider.

Cheers

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Colorado Elk huntingdougbaldwin702/17/2009 01:15 am
Colorado Elk Hunt Unit 4tommore608/15/2003 09:15 am
unit 371 for elk, deer in unit 18 same season, any advice?new2elk710/06/2011 18:28 pm
Unit 47 coloradoJeremyzx900r101/22/2013 08:32 am
AZ Elklilbudsjst112/22/2009 17:20 pm