13 replies [Last post]
cowgal's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: Colorado
Joined: 03/10/2002
Posts: 1787
Anti-Gun Blacklist Introduced in US House

New bill being introduced by Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.) would prohibit you from acquiring a firearm if the government decides you are a terrorist OR simply suspected of being a terrorist. Remember they just came out with a memo identifying groups of people that may lean in that direction already.

Note too that this bill is being introduced by a Republican. Very disappointing.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=4879

H.R. 2159 would give "the Attorney General the authority to deny the sale, delivery, or transfer of a firearm or the issuance of a firearms or explosives license or permit to dangerous terrorists. . . . if the Attorney General determines that the transferee is known (or appropriately suspected) to be or have been engaged in conduct constituting, in preparation for, in aid of, or related to terrorism, or providing material support thereof, and the Attorney General has a reasonable belief that the prospective transferee may use a firearm in connection with terrorism."

This new bill in unnecessary, because we already have laws that prohibit certain individuals (ex-cons, mentally ill, etc.) from purchasing firearms. This bill would not require proof that an individual is a terrorist - only suspected!

expatriate's picture
Offline
Location: Arizona
Joined: 10/26/2002
Posts: 3207
Anti-Gun Blacklist Introduced in US House

So as I read this, the language basically gives the Attorney General the power to expand NICS to deny sale to anyone he deems a threat to state security.

It's not that you've committed a crime...it's that you MIGHT commit a crime, are SUSPECTED of activity that's in preparation for, or RELATED TO terrorism. And we've seen how DHS defines such things, haven't we?

So if your name shows up erroneously on the "do not fly" list, you're done, right?

If this ever passed, it'd never make it past a post-Heller Supreme Court. They won't allow 2nd Amendment rights to be denied without due process -- especially because you MIGHT do something.

At least, I hope it wouldn't.

cowgal's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: Colorado
Joined: 03/10/2002
Posts: 1787
Anti-Gun Blacklist Introduced in US House

Yup, you got it right.

I have a cousin that was on the "do not fly" list. Her name happened to be similar or the same someone on that list. Talk about a pile of grief and hassles. She'll probably always have trouble when she flies. At least when you fly you're allowed to give more info about your identity. In purchasing a firearm, when someone is denied, there is no reason given (to the seller), its simply denied. The buyer can pursue the denial, but it's a headache and basically prevents you from buying anything until the records are cleared.

Offline
Joined: 04/01/2009
Posts: 435
Anti-Gun Blacklist Introduced in US House

Aren't you all taking this second amendment stuff a little far?

The bill reads, "deny the sale, delivery, or transfer of a firearm or the issuance of a firearms or explosives license or permit to dangerous terrorists"

Can't see why you want to give guns to terrorists? I mean reading them their rights is one thing but giving them guns? what next the right to vote?

cowgal's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: Colorado
Joined: 03/10/2002
Posts: 1787
Anti-Gun Blacklist Introduced in US House

The big issue is how the government will define terrorist. We already know that even veterans can end up on that list.

We currently have strict laws that clearly define who can/cannot buy weapons, they're based on an individual's criminal record and mental stability. No need for more laws.

WesternHunter's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/05/2006
Posts: 2363
Re: Anti-Gun Blacklist Introduced in US House
cowgal wrote:
New bill being introduced by Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.) would prohibit you from acquiring a firearm if the government decides you are a terrorist OR simply suspected of being a terrorist. Remember they just came out with a memo identifying groups of people that may lean in that direction already.

Note too that this bill is being introduced by a Republican. Very disappointing.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=4879

H.R. 2159 would give "the Attorney General the authority to deny the sale, delivery, or transfer of a firearm or the issuance of a firearms or explosives license or permit to dangerous terrorists. . . . if the Attorney General determines that the transferee is known (or appropriately suspected) to be or have been engaged in conduct constituting, in preparation for, in aid of, or related to terrorism, or providing material support thereof, and the Attorney General has a reasonable belief that the prospective transferee may use a firearm in connection with terrorism."

This new bill in unnecessary, because we already have laws that prohibit certain individuals (ex-cons, mentally ill, etc.) from purchasing firearms. This bill would not require proof that an individual is a terrorist - only suspected!

Sounds like just a variation of the Patriot Act. All the more reason why the Patriot Act never should have been signed into law. Obama could score a couple points with me if he were to abolish that anti-American and unconstitutional Act.

All that Act has done is give the government much more legal ability to pound on Americans if they deem you suspect. Anymore legislation that resembles the Patriot Act is not going to be good for America.

Offline
Joined: 04/01/2009
Posts: 435
Anti-Gun Blacklist Introduced in US House
Quote:
even veterans can end up on that list

Well, the second most deadly terrorist attack on US civilians was by a veteran, why not put them on a list of suspected terrorists?

Western Hunter maybe you should ring up Russ Fiengold. Give him an ata-boy, tell him he was right after all, and ask him what you can do to help repeal the act. (He's the only senator that voted no)

Edited by Moderator. Pangolin, stay on topic.

CVC
CVC's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Kansas
Joined: 03/04/2006
Posts: 3586
Anti-Gun Blacklist Introduced in US House
Quote:
Is it ok for a certain woman to say terrorist of her apponent but not the US Gov?

Can anyone translate for me? I think I might agree, but I won't be sure until someone explains what he just wrote.

Offline
Moderator
Location: Florida,USA
Joined: 08/21/2003
Posts: 1566
Anti-Gun Blacklist Introduced in US House
CVC wrote:
Quote:
Is it ok for a certain woman to say terrorist of her apponent but not the US Gov?

Can anyone translate for me? I think I might agree, but I won't be sure until someone explains what he just wrote.

I think I can.
I seem to recall a book titled "Lower Life Forms of the World, a study of Lefties and microorganisms." in which it stated that lower life forms, IE: Amoebas or Amoebae, sometimes can not determine who their opponent is as they all mostly look alike. To solve this they appoint an opponent, however lacking in intelligence they cannot remember the whole big words so they combine the two and formed the word "apponent". It is sometimes referred to as "the emeney" also.

bitmasher's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: Colorado
Joined: 02/27/2002
Posts: 2973
Anti-Gun Blacklist Introduced in US House

What a joke. If this suggested legislation had anything to do with curtailing the first, fourth, fifth, sixth, or seventh amendments of "suspected terrorists" there would be no question to its legality. Rather because it has something to do with guns and the word "terrorists" it gets the typical knee jerk reaction.

If you are a suspected terrorist and a citizen you should get due process and found guilty before revoking rights.

Ironically the people that believe that gitmo detainees (non-citizens) are being denied due process are probably the same ones that believe this is good legislation (denying due process to citizens). Now that's double think.

Offline
Location: California
Joined: 09/06/2008
Posts: 1071
Anti-Gun Blacklist Introduced in US House

Cnivilin wrote,

Quote:
Well, the second most deadly terrorist attack on US civilians was by a veteran, why not put them on a list of suspected terrorists?

Absolutely unbelievable the contempt you have for those who defend your freedom. The freedom even to post this vile contemptuous crappola. I'm truly hoping you post garbage just to get a rise out of us and your not really this sick.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Maine Anti-Bear Hunting Bill Ignores Will of Voters !!!burrman004/14/2005 04:52 am
Scary NightCVC106/23/2007 13:11 pm
30-06?Don Fischer1911/15/2008 17:08 pm
20/20's anti-gun propagandacowgal1204/11/2009 20:49 pm
Minnesota Mourning Dove Hunt Under AttackWhelland003/03/2008 14:44 pm