8 replies [Last post]
GooseHunter Jr's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Antelope Buck 2012

Here the buck I ended up shooting last Saturday on the opener. I saw some bigger ones while scouting, but after watching all the road "shooters" I do not wanna call them hunters as shooting from the road at antelope is not hunting in my book. For an area that took so many points to draw I would think the hunters would act like hunters and ry and do it the correct way. 

I sat all morning long in a low lying valley that I found while scouting and it was not visible from the road. waited out all the snow, wind and rain and spotted a herd about 1000 yards out in the now fog. I used a buck decoy to sneak to about 300 yards but the buck in that herd would not give me a good shoot. After about 5 minutes they had about enough of me and moved out onto to flat and would not let me get any closer than 1000 yards again. I tried to work a couple more herds but after being shot at by the guys on the road it was almost impossible to get close enough for a shot. 

I decided to go back to the truck for lunch and when I got there I spotted herd on the other side of the road and they were bedded and in a good spot for a stalk, so I grabbed a quick drink of water and a power bar and off I went. To make a long story short I went from about a 1/2 mile to about 150 yards and they never knew I was there. This buck was chasing a doe all over the place and would not let her get to far from the rest of the herd. this went on for 10 minutes and finally he chased her right towards me, but they disappeared in the low spot in from of me. All of a sudden he popped up at about 150 yards to my rights in one motion gun and shooting sticks switched right to him and had a quick second to decide whether to shoot or not.....BOOM was the next sound I heard and he went right down. 

I spent all summer practicing at 300+ yards and I end up shooting him at 145 yards...I was very pleased to have taken this buck!! 

PreviewAttachmentSize
IMG_0911.JPG
IMG_0911.JPG651.22 KB
BleuBijou's picture
Brave

Sole to use a decoy during rifle season!!! Great buck and sorry to hear that the convoy shooters were in force!!! Just don't get what they are really missing in the spot and stalk of Antelope!!! Thumbs up

BleuBijou's picture
Brave

Sole to use a decoy during rifle season!!! Great buck and sorry to hear that the convoy shooters were in force!!! Just don't get what they are really missing in the spot and stalk of Antelope!!! Thumbs up

SGM
SGM's picture
Congratulations on getting

Congratulations on getting your buck. Sucks about the road hunters but sounds like you still had a great hunt.

COMeatHunter's picture
Nice buck!

Nice buck!  Congrats.

Antelope hunting is particularly good at providing "shooting" opportunities from the road.  We like to drive to spot the critters, but we then carefully plan our stalk and get out in the field to hunt.  The thing that surprises me is the number of road hunters for elk and deer too.  I wouldn't think too many of those on or close to the roads would be very successful at punching their tags for elk and deer.  

Glad you had a great hunt and enjoyed your stalk and shot.  Thanks for sharing the experience with the rest of us.

SoCoKHntr's picture
Congrats!

Pretty exciting action there!

Cruising old 2 tracks to spot antelope is how we hunt. The great majority of the antelope ive killed have been great distances from the vehicle. This was after spotting and stalking them. I have also run into them on occasion around 200 or so yards off of a 2 track. parked gotten out of and away from the vehicle and set up and taken a shot. I think either was is ok. To clarify Im not talking about shooting out of vehicles off of main county roads.

Again congrats on a great lope!

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Very nice speedgoat!

Very nice speedgoat! Congrats!

elkkill06's picture
Well done !

Congrats on a great goat ! Thumbs up

GooseHunter Jr's picture
Bleu, I was in a spot where I

Bleu, I was in a spot where I felt safe in using the decoy for a sheild....had I been closer to the road or where I ended up shooting this antelope...I do not think I would have used it all.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like