27 replies [Last post]
BoneCollector's picture
PM Sent.

PM Sent.

BoneCollector's picture
What is everyone's opinion on

What is everyone's opinion on what quarter of the state I should focus my research and Why?

I've narrowed it down to either NW or SW corner of Co. due to higher elk populations. As you should be able to tell from my posts, I've been doing a lot of research. Just looking for some serious tips for a father and son driving 2,200+ miles to hunt. I would appreciate serious tips not just the "points boosting" good luck posts. Sorry guys. Yes

Any and all serious help will be very much appreciated.

Once again, I am learning a lot from this site and other sources. We can all learn a little together without devulging our "sweet spots". Big smile

Many Thanks and a Successful Hunting Season to you all in 2012.

What points? 

What points?  Confused

BoneCollector's picture
Sorry Still Hunter..

Sorry, Stil Hunter, I see that the challenge contest has been temporarily put on hold. I thought that the number of posts on the site was down a little. Big smile

By the way, I meant no harm in my post, just looking for help from others who have been where I am dreaming of going. In love

I appreciate any and all feedback I get and willfullly offer any that I can give for anyone wanting to come east after the whitetails and eastern birds!

~Bill

Advise and sources

I would recommend the following:

1. Get a subscription to Eastmans Hunting Journal as they are a great source for which units to hunt, preference points, etc

2. Get into shape! You don't have to be a marathon runner but I would recommend being able to run at least three miles at a 9:00 minute per mile pace or faster. Better yet, hit a stairmaster for at least 30 minutes with a pack and don't hold on to the rails! There are not any rails in nature. Big smile Also, do squats with medium to light weights. I weigh 177 lbs and am 5'9" tall and do five sets of 12-14 using 175 lbs with a minute of rest between sets.

3. Shoot at distances of at least 300 yards.

4. Buy quality opitcs! A good scope, binos and spotting scope go a long, long, long way! ( I once spotted a 175" muley at 750 yards thanks to good binos and a spotting scope that my hunting partner couldn't see with mid range optics. I went on to stalk and shoot the deer thanks to these optics.)

5. Get Mike Eastman's book titled Elk Hunting the West. He knows his stuff!!!!!!!!!! Thumbs up

6. Did I mention get into good shape?

I WISH YOU THE VERY BEST OF LUCK AND GOD'S BLESSING!

BoneCollector's picture
Thanks NMMule! I have had a

Thanks NMMule!

I have had a subscription to EHJ and for x-mas just got the EBJ. I love the magazines. Very helpful.

I am in good shape. Just recently won a Nat'l title in Power Lifting. Bench 500, Squat 650, Deadlift 600lb @ 198lb-Drug Free. I also run 3x pr week. Often with a 20-50lb vest. I've always been a physcially active and competitive athlete.

My son and I have just set up a long range shooting range on my parents farm. 100, 200, 300, 350, 400 yds. We love the thrill of shooting..too bad it costs so much. However, we do substitute the lessor rounds and calibers when we can. We also shoot a lot as we would in the field to better prepare ourselves.

Your suggestion of M. Eastman's book is great. I just bought it when I got the EBJ subscription! You are right! A very wise investment.

Thanks again for your comments and I wish you well this hunting season as well. Great ideas I must agree with all points. I guess my biggest issue is finding a location... That is where I need the guidance, espeically being over 2,000 miles away.

God bless,

~Bill

One more tip..

I would get to your hunt area at least 2 days before the opener since the you will gain at least 5,500' of altitude. I hunted Western WY at over 9500' and felt the 4500' altitude gain the first day. I live at 5000' and still felt like this guy after the first day Sick I heard an interview with an Ex-NFL WR  this morning who said going to Denver to play was always a challenge for his team.

God Bless

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Non-resident looking for CO Elk Hunt Unit AdviseMinner2010/15/2008 15:21 pm
Leadville area advisemesingw502/22/2008 05:18 am
Leadville area advisemesingw405/01/2008 16:47 pm
First Muley Muzzleloader hunt in Northern UT. Advise neededkevinakins209/15/2009 08:02 am
need some adviseelkhunter28803/14/2007 17:47 pm