27 replies [Last post]
it's going to be a great time

I highly recomend CO. My brother and I went OTC in the 2010 3rd season and he connected on a bull. We did lots of research but settled on some national forest land and a campsite.

Let me tell you that tent camping in third season was an adventure but not undoable.

The posters on this board have always had tons of great info.

I had almost as much fun in planning and anticipating the trip...almost.

You guys will have a blast.

BoneCollector's picture
Thanks for the positive

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Did you guys camp at a public campsite or out in the bush?!?

niceshot_smitty's picture
New Mexico is another place

New Mexico is another place to look in to for elk hunting in the rut.  No Points to deal with.  There is a few hunts that you can put in for and still hunt the rut with rifle.  If you don't draw you get money back minus small app. fees.  They have already put out the 2012 booklet and can be found at wildlife.state.nm.us good luck.

BoneCollector's picture
New Mex..

Thanks N_smitty! My issue would be the even longer drive from Ohio. In addition to I've always dreamed of hunting/hiking Colorado since I was 15yrs old.

What kind of success have you had in the past? Oh, and nice "tenderlope" with the bow! Probably my favorite wild game dish thus far. Happy holidays!

niceshot_smitty's picture
I have had done good in the

I have had done good in the past.  If you were to try NM i would stay to the north central part of the state or west part of the state.  I guess for your 1st elk hunt Colorado would be a good chose, since they have the most elk in any state.  good luck

ndemiter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
our best bet as non resident

our best bet as non resident hunters is to go with the otc bull permit. it's pretty expensive, but it gets us the best oppertunity. i like hunting earlier (2nd season) so you can plan on better weather instead of having your trip ruined by bad weather. the trick is that your bull needs 4 points per side or better. so be careful there. honestly, i chose SW colorado during 2nd season for next year. it offers lots of public land with decent populations. and backpacking is my prefered method of hunting.

BoneCollector's picture
Why the SW part of the state

Why the SW part of the state instead of say, NW?

Just curious. I am learning a lot in this thread. Thanks for your comments.

Don't count on the 2nd season

Don't count on the 2nd season having good weather. It could be anything from perfect to ugly.

Critter's picture
Weather

Still Hunter wrote:

Don't count on the 2nd season having good weather. It could be anything from perfect to ugly.

And everything inbetween on the same day. 

ndemiter's picture
send me a message if you want

send me a message if you want to talk about some areas. i too came from SE ohio, it took me a while to learn to hunt out west.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Non-resident looking for CO Elk Hunt Unit AdviseMinner2010/15/2008 15:21 pm
Leadville area advisemesingw502/22/2008 05:18 am
Leadville area advisemesingw405/01/2008 16:47 pm
First Muley Muzzleloader hunt in Northern UT. Advise neededkevinakins209/15/2009 08:02 am
need some adviseelkhunter28803/14/2007 17:47 pm