4 replies [Last post]
Advice Wanted on Optics for .375 H&H

I'm hoping that the members of this forum will be able to give me some good, solid advice.

I just purchased a new Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H, a rifle I have wanted for a long, long time. I'm now searching for the best optics for this rifle and caliber. I've always been a Leupold man, but am not deadset against any other maker if the reasoning is solid.

A little about me - I have hunted throughout the Western US for over 30 years, using everything between a .22-250 to a .338-06. Although Africa is definitely on "my horizon" in the coming years, this rifle will primarily be used for Alaskan Moose and Caribou, and as a defensive arm should I inadvertantly encounter an aggressive Brown Bear while hunting for the above. As such, I will need optics that will function well in both open spaces and brush where visibility is limited and in which rain and fog are the norm. I'm thinking something along the lines of a 1.5 X 4 as that makes a lot of sense to me considering the above conditions.

Please, if anyone has some recommendations on a good, solid scope that will meet those needs, I'm all ears. Specific maker, series and/or model number, your experiences with the scope and the rationale behind your choice will be most welcome at my end.

I would very much appreciate your input. Thank you in advance!

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
I have been a Leopold fan for

I have been a Leopold fan for a long time and if you can find what you want from them then I don't think that you will be disappointed.  You might also want to look at the Vortex brand and the new Redfields that are being produced by Leopold. 

In my opinion I don't mind spending a little extra on a scope brand that I know and trust and that is why most of my rifles carry a Leopold on them. 

Don Fischer's picture
Welcome to BGH!   I have a

Welcome to BGH!

I have a very old Redfield 1-4x. Great scope! The 1.5-4x would be great. But I also have a veryb old Redfield 2 3/4x and it is one of my all time favorite's. 

buffybr's picture
.375 optics

I too have been a longtime Leupold fan.  About 10 years ago, I built a .375 RUM for an African Cape Buffalo hunt.  I put a 2-7x Leupold on it, which has worked very well on two African hunts for a variety of critters from 30 lb Steenboks to 1500+ lb Buffalo and Eland at ranges from 30 yds to 350 yds.

possum's picture

I have a Leupold VXIII 6.5x20x50 on my 338Win and would totally agree with the others on here about quality.

I also have a VORTEX VIPER 6.5X20X50, for comparison this scope is as clear as my leupold and was somewhat cheaper in cost. I have it mounted on a 243Win but have not used the rifle as of yet so i cant really make an in field comparison.

I know a few people with vortex optics but don't no of anyone having one on anything bigger than a varmint caliber, so i don't know if they will stand up to the recoil of your 375H&H.

I did have problems once with a Pentax Lightseeker scope on my 338 while elk hunting. I checked my zero before going hunting and found that my vertical crosshair had broken and was moving around. Although the customer service from them was awesome it's not something i need to ruin a hunt.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like