8 replies [Last post]
bitmasher's picture
9/11

Well today is 3 weeks until the first anniversary of September 11th. I can't believe we are already approaching 1 year.

What do you all think about the war on terrorism and the possibility of further terrorism on western soil?

I think the military and intellence agencies have made some great strides in rooting out these cells. However, from media accounts it sounds like the terrorist cells are spread far and wide. Not sure if that is media hype or what (nothing sells like sensation), but then the damn group did kill the most American's on American soil ever. Given the "shoe string nature" of the group and given their history, I think it is a real possibility that these jack-a**es are probably planning other crap and that we haven't got them all. I certainly hope we have, but it seems like a huge challenge rounding up all these looney-tunes on a global scale, even for those with the sincerest intentions of bringing justice.

Clearly this has little to do with hunting (other than 9/11 did foobar a lot of peoples hunting plans last fall), but just would like to read what people have to say.

9/11

I'll throw in my 2 cents here...

I think the possibility of future attack on American soil is low to very low. However foreign embassies and other Western outpost in other countries should really be on the look out. I think the possibility of further attack there is much higher.

cowgal's picture
9/11

I personally feel that we can NEVER let our guard down again, or we will have more disasters like 9/11. As Americans we are too trusting. As a nation we must accept the fact that we are not universally liked/respected, and many people would rather see us suffer or better yet, wiped out completely. This is the grim reality.

In the USA we teach tolerance & acceptance. In many countries hatred of Americans is openly taught/preached which in turn breeds more generations of young people willing to sacrifice their own lives and to kill.

We must all be vigilant and hopefully the security of our nation has improved significantly, so we can all safely continue on with our lives.

The events of 9/11 cannot be forgotten, and I hope and pray that we never experience anything like that again.

bitmasher's picture
9/11

Quote:

The events of 9/11 cannot be forgotten, and I hope and pray that we never experience anything like that again.

Yep, I agree. In the mean time I hope the military and intellegence groups got'm all.

9/11

To say that it is improbable that there will be future attacks here is america is being a little arrogant don't you think? As a member of the armed forces I feel that there is a great danger of this. Regardless, why should we let our guard down. Even though there is little that we can do against a well-plotted attack such as 9/11 I think everyone learned a lot about ourselves from it.

9/11

Quote:

To say that it is improbable that there will be future attacks here is america is being a little arrogant don't you think?

No, I don't think my statement was arrogant. I simply didn't explain my opinion (it was only 2 cents).

I think there is a low probability of future short term attack on American soil, assuming we do not let our collective guard down, we find and root out terrorist cells, and our intelligence agency do a good job of pre-empting future plotting.

I think these assumptions are basically correct (that maybe blind faith, but I would rather be an optimist), so I think in the short term chances are low of future attack on American soil.

Whether not these assumptions are correct is debatable, especially in the long run.

expatriate's picture
9/11

I tend to agree with the "low" assessment -- but that could quickly change.

Consider that the Islamist threat wishes to get the US out of the Middle East and install Islamist governments throughout the Muslim world. To do this, they need to energize popular support in the Middle East and erode support for US foreign policy.

Since 9/11, we've overthrown one of two Islamist governments in the area, and are on our way to overthrow another Islamic nation (albeit a secular one). This reinforces Islamic fears of Western imperialism and lends support to the Islamists. Video of US troops and airstrikes on Al Jazeera puts area muslims in the position of supporting their brethren or the Western powers that dominated them in the past. Afghanistan could be perceived as a sacrifice -- if an Islamist is willing to be martyred for the cause, wouldn't an Islamist government be willing to do the same? And as far as Iraq goes, it's secular and there's no love lost there. Any Iraq-Al Qaeda connection is a marriage of convenience.

Our actions have also caused friction between the US and its allies, making it harder to form coalitions and threatening global trade.

Meanwhile, on the home front we've ratcheted up security measures and clamped down on civil liberties, which inconveniences people and affects our lifestyle.

Look at this as a bullfight -- attacks are like the picadors' spears, designed to elicit a reaction. So as long as the US is perceived as moving in the "right" direction from the Islamist perspective, what need is there to attack and provoke more action? None. But watch out if things settle down and debate stops -- or if we back off on military action toward Iraq.

[ This Message was edited by: expatriate on 2002-10-28 07:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: expatriate on 2002-10-28 07:58 ]

[ This Message was edited by: expatriate on 2002-10-28 08:00 ]

bitmasher's picture
9/11

Well said Expatriate. You summarize the Catch-22 the current middle east situation is in.

On one hand, there is growing instability in the middle east, and muslims rightly may believe their world under attack. Attacking Iraq will no doubt insight sympathy. Mounting war threats against Iraq also "burn the goodwill generated after 9/11" as one public offical noted. Add to this Israels continued expansion into Palestine (even if it is justified for security reasons). Add some more for the dethroning of the Taliban and placement of what is in essence a puppet government (even if it isn't a puppet, it is probably viewed as one). And Pakistan's own leadership has been called to task for "playing up to the U.S.". Basically the middle-east is at all time highs for anti-U.S. sentiment.

On the other hand, lack of action in the middle east either being continued tracking and attacking of Al Queda (where exactly is Osama Bin Laden?) or the dismantling of Iraq's dictatorship could put the U.S. at a much greater risk of future attack. I tend to believe the arguement that an Iraq with WMD's (weapons of mass destruction) and harboring international terrorist (yes the current terrorism/Iraq connection could be totally half-baked today, but that could change.) is not something that any none muslim nation wants.

It is a difficult situation, no doubt. Could be damned if we do act and damned if we don't act.

expatriate's picture
9/11

Bitmasher:
Emphasis on "damned." Perhaps the biggest threat right now is the power battle going on between the US and the UN. This is a big-time identity crisis for the world. Do we live in a world where the UN is the final word, or are states still free to act on their own? In a sense, this is eerily similar to discussions leading up to the creation of the Constitution and the Civil War. Are we willing to grant the UN the power to be the world's federal government, and is the UN willing to accept that role?

So now we're in a real pickle, because if we accept the Security Council's two-resolution plan, we sacrifice sovereignty. But if the UN doesn't do anything, it becomes a steer in a world full of bulls.

Frankly, I'm pretty disappointed by the French saying we need to give Saddam a chance to comply before authorizing force -- like 16 resolutions isn't enough. I would've thought Europe would remember how badly it turned out when they gave Hitler all those chances in the 30s. If Iraq doesn't trigger global conflict, it has the potential to at least plant the seeds for it.