25 replies [Last post]
900 yard shot?
ChesterGolf wrote:
If the guy is that good with a rifle he will know exactly how many clicks were needed as well as the windage.

I agree CG...he'll know exactly on both. To make that shot...one shot...takes a lot of shooting with that particular rifle and at that range EB. I'd like to hear what rifle, scope and ammo he was using.

cowgal's picture
900 yard shot?
quigleysharps4570 wrote:
I agree CG...he'll know exactly on both. To make that shot...one shot...takes a lot of shooting with that particular rifle and at that range EB. I'd like to hear what rifle, scope and ammo he was using.

...and how he steadied himself. I find the further out I shoot, the harder it is for me to steady myself. I'm talking about just target shooting, not in a hunting situation. During target practice you have all the time in the world to compose yourself, take a deep breath, etc., but everyone knows that when hunting you usually don't have the time to think all the steps through. You rely on instinct from all the practice and target shooting.

So my other question would be, how often did he practice at 900 yards?

900 yard shot?

I would have to say that it's BS on a deer. But say a Moose or an elk I would belive it. I have looked at deer at 900 yds and over and do no where the Nanuem area is and have hunted there. there is no possiable way in HELL he could have seen let alone hit a deer at 900 yds. Max yardage in the area would stop at about 550-600yds. SO I call BS I also support a .270 WSM

900 yard shot?

Not a shot I would recommend but, possible.
A 270, I'll assume it's a 270 win, doesn't retain very much energy at that range. At the least it was a very risky shot that should not be attempted. Doesn't show much respect for the game but, scores high on ego.
I would guess that you had some smoke blown up your south end while headed north.

900 yard shot?

I would press charges "Disspencing bs without a permit"

Why don't you try to talk him into joining this site and posting his truely remarkable story. I'm sure that many,many others like myself would like to have alittle online go with him... Big smile Big smile

900 yard shot?

Doubt we'll ever hear the rest of the story or anything out of Ellensburg.

Don Fischer's picture
900 yard shot?

I hate to tell you guys this but, I know of a few people that won't shoot at game animals at less than 1000 yds. They've got all the neat do-dads and seem to think its just quite alright. One guy shoots a 30# custom in 308 Bare cal. Carries out a shoothing rest and sand bags filled with kitty litter. The thing NONE of these guys will tell you is how many they wounded or just plain missed. They probally don't even know or care!

Even knowing the range exactly, how do you figure wind direction or velocity way down there. On 1000 yd ranges, there's wind flags!Even if this guy made that 901 yd shot, ya gotta' concider it GROSSLY IRRESPONSIBLE!!!!! Those guys see no difference between a paper target and a game animal.

900 yard shot?

If the guy is skilled enough to kill an animal at 900 yards why is it irresponsible or unsporting?Is it any more unresponsible or unsporting than taking one at6 400 or 200?NO,if he has the practice to kill his game with one shot who cares how far away it is?I know plenty of people that have wounded game at 100 yards,you think this guy got lucky on this shot?I dont,Ill bet its a product of practice.

900 yard shot?

I am capable of busting paper out to a 1000 yds on a very consistent basis and do so in BR competitions but would never consider doing that to a game animal. Paper targets don't move!! A deer can do just about anything to foul up the shot. It doesn't matter if the wind comes up and you miss the paper by 6 inches but it sure makes a difference on an animal. There is a difference (in my mind atleast) between "hunting" game and "shooting" game. There are way too many variables out of your control in a wild situation. At that range even the fastest rounds are dropping so fast that an error of even 10 yds means another 6" of drop. I would venture to say even the very best BR shooters would miss/wound game animals on a regular basis under these conditions.

900 yard shot?

I would believe him. I hunted with the Apples from Colfax Wa. And all of them had their riffles sighted in at 500 yards and had laminated cards tapped to the stock telling them drop distances and what to dial their scope to when shooting up to 1000 yards. They were shooting 300 mags and one guy had a 243. and has dropped deer at 800 yards. In the palouse shots can exceed 1000 yards. I've seen it happen and i belive him.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
BOWTECHarcheryhunterME001/26/2006 19:59 pm
Colorado archery bullhellomcfly610/11/2009 21:23 pm
Black Bear W/ Taurus 357 MagNBaron1103/22/2006 07:19 am
First Black Bearnevadahntr409/10/2005 21:15 pm
making the shot buck feverScotty E1310/23/2005 18:40 pm