15 replies [Last post]
Don Fischer's picture
800# cow!

Got a cow tonight, big one! Hit it just behind the shoulder with a 2000 3/4 ton Dodge w/ Cummins diesel. Not much penetration, kinda like bullet failure but different. Of course the cow died very quickly. Took out the hood, driver side fender and the driver side bed. Also shoved the radiator into the fan and that into the engine block. Didn't have a tag so I called a tow truck and fled the scene of the crime!

Actually I was on my way to my son's in Bend, Ore and decided to take the long way thru Ashwood and Prineville. Got back on pavement about 7pm and it was brand new and really dark. I could see the fog line fine and the center line but the cow, standing in my lane was the same color as the pavement, no white at all. Planned on going up on the Santiam Pass deer hunting Sun with the son. Haven't seen any bucks this year but I did get a cow! 2000 Dodge 3/4T w/ cummins retained 100% of it's weight and mushromed nicely! Couldn't have done better with a TSX! Brick Wall,) Brick Wall,) Brick Wall,)

800# cow!

Don, That is a bummer. I'm glad you're OK. Yea you're right, those Dodges don't hold together like they use to but the new Mega cab might mushroom better.

Don Fischer's picture
800# cow!

The air bags didn't deploy either. Probally a good thing as that would have really hurt and I'd likely have gone off the road and over turned. I'll send you guys a photo when I get the cow back from the taxidermist! Think

redrider's picture
800# cow!

At least you can say you didn't get skunked this year lol

800# cow!

Ouch. Well, you'll get plenty of practice perfecting your elk jerky recipy.
Just one question for you about this...2000 3/4 ton Dodge w/ Cummins diesel.
How do you reload one of those?

Don Fischer's picture
800# cow!

TSX Thumbs up

And I just put 27 grains of IMR #2 diesel in the tank and another 60 Grains in the transfer tank! Lucky thing it's only $2.65 a grain! Yes

WesternHunter's picture
800# cow!

Glad to hear that your are okay after all that. What a way to bag an elk Laugh

800# cow!
Don Fischer wrote:
TSX :thumbsup1:

And I just put 27 grains of IMR #2 diesel in the tank and another 60 Grains in the transfer tank! Lucky thing it's only $2.65 a grain! Yes

Good to know your bullet performed excellent. If I recall correctly, isn't that dodge a magnum caliber? Do you think you really needed a magnum to kill that elk? neener! neener! Evil!

Don Fischer's picture
800# cow!

Naw, I didn't need a magnum, I was showing off. Oh by the way, the elk must have been crossed with an angus, sure looked like it! Yes

800# cow!

They do make smaller(and cheaper) meat tenderizers you know! Thumbs up

800# cow!

Sounds like your bullet had good construction but you might want to consider something else for cows. Sounds like it mushroomed too quickly and got very little penetration and we all know that leads to a lot of meat damage. Besides that ammunition is really expensive!!

Glad to hear you're ok.