10 replies [Last post]
kish002's picture
7mm WSM vs 270 WSM

I have a model 70 in 7mm WSM and was thinking of chambering/swapping out barrels and making it a 270 WSM...any thoughts??  I was thinking that the availability of .270 WSM was a little better without sacraficing much in the way of power...ideas??

Tndeerhunter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
270 vs 7mm

The two chamberings are certainly very close performance-wise. I have a .270WSM and a 7mmSAUM and the .270 does seem to be the one that has gained more popularity. I think of the two I prefer the 7 tho, with a bit more range of bullet weights. Of course, this would only matter if you were going to use it for game bigger than deer-sized.

If you already have say a .300 mag, then the difference becomes even more a moot point. If you considered the cost involved, I think I'd be tempted to simply stock up on ammo or components and keep the 7. Yes

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
I'd also go with the 7mm.  If

I'd also go with the 7mm.  If for nothing else the choice of heaver bullets.  Both rounds are capable of any animal and even the bears of Alaska but there are guides that require a .30 caliber as a minimum.  I would just stock up on the 7mm rounds when you find them and enjoy the rifle. 

kish002's picture
It probably would be a

It probably would be a smarter idea to take the money that I would spend on a new barrel and whatever else it takes to change calibers and invest in a better trigger and ammo for the 7mm...

andrew

Tndeerhunter's picture
trigger

A good gunsmith would probably be able to tune the trigger in your m70. Might want to check on that. Yes

jaybe's picture
Definitely the 7

Unless you are independently wealthy and can afford to own one of everything, the obvious choice between these two would be to go with the 7mm - IMO.

The choice of bullets is the main reason for sure. Although the .270 is a great caliber and has been used all over for many kinds of game, the bullet manufacturers never offer the range or styles of bullets in the .270 that they do in the .7mm.

As has already been stated though, I would opt for a good .30 caliber over either of these.

witchera's picture
I would go with the 270 WSM

I would go with the 270 WSM will give you the same knock down power as a 30.06 and 7MM but shot flatter and more accuracy.  I would then save my money and buy a 300 Win Mag, then you will have everything covered.  I just think the 7MM is a worthless load, just get a 300 Win Mag (not trying to offend anyone) because it doesn't do anything great however it does get the job done. 

worthless?

Just curious why you feel it is worthless? 7mm bullets generally achieve higher bc's which help in flatter trajectory and some might conclude accuracy. the 7wsm actually has a higher powder capacity than the 270 and 300 wsm because the shoulder is blown out to keep it from chambering in rifles chambered for the other two. Yes the factory availability sucks but a the 7wsm is a handloaders dream. (atleast it has been for me). 270wsm vs 7wsm is splitting hairs but the heavier bullets and higher bc were the kicker for me. not offended or trying to offend just curious and spurring discussion.

which mod 70

Just curious what mod 70 you got? i have a mod 70 supershadow. it was the most budget rifle they had when they brought out the wsm line and it has been easily turned into a tack driver with some minor and free adjustments. Dont give up on the 7 its a great caliber and it is fun to not shoot a main stream cartridge.

bitmasher's picture
With 150gr bullets the 7mm

With 150gr bullets the 7mm wsm and 270wsm are going to be identical in terms of power at the muzzle; however the 270 bullet will most likely have a higher B.C. 

If your goal is to find better access to ammo, I would definitely go with the 270wsm.  Perhaps you can trade in your rifle to a dealer that swaps firearms.  That maybe less costly that rechambering your existing rifle.

the data for the 150 gr

the data for the 150 gr bullet is kind of irrelevant though. IMO the 7 really shines in the 160 grain weight. It hits like a hammer. Yes no animal on earth could tell the difference between the two. I personally just like the ballistics of the 7mm and 160-168 grain bullets. Especially trajectory and wind deflection.