4 replies [Last post]
7mm Weatherby mag vs 300 Weatherby mag

I am looking at buying one of these rifles, but I am not sure which to purchase. I currently have a Weatherby 308 win. sub-moa, but the bullet drop is tremendous after 300 yds. I am needing to know which would be an all around better gun for any game out of these two.

I have both, bought the 300 second after shooting the 7mm for many years. I shoot the 300 every time out now. It is a great round shoots flat, hits hard, ammo is readily available. You can go up to 220 grain and I forget how far down but it is a big range. In fact I like it so much I bought a Mark V Ultra light with the accubreak about 2 months ago. Again in 300 Weatherby. Good luck and happy shopping.

I agree with vfrrick. Both are excellent long range calibers. Typically you won't get as flat with the 300 as the 7, but the energy the 300 carries makes up for it when the bullet connects with the target. Personally I prefer the 300. Just something special about a .30 cal. Plus you can hunt almost any species in North America with the 300. If you have never shot a magnum such as these before, I highly recommend finding someone who has one to shoot first. The felt recoil can be devastating to someone who is recoil shy. They are not for the faint at heart or the inexperienced shooter. You don't want to purchase a rifle only to find out you are not comfortable with the recoil. Recoil shyness will greatly affect your accuracy and consistency when shooting. This can be overcome, but only with time and practice. The limsaver recoil pads work wonders in reducing the felt recoil. I have one on my .338 Rem Ultra Mag and it is very pleasant to shoot. You may also want to consider some of the the short mags. I have a Rem. 300 SAUM and its felt recoil is considerably less than that of the 300 win mag or 300 weatherby mag, and is matches closely to the trajectory of the 300 win mag. Just food for thought.

Good point about the recoil. I have a Vanguard that I took out twice to sight in. The first time it got it on paper and got so jumpy that I had to go back later and get it zeroed in. The one I recently bought is a Mark V with a break and big difference but I am not a big fan of the break on a hunting rifle but so far it has not been a problem.

There's not much difference in the two. if you plan on hunting heavy big game (elk, griz, moose) a lot the nod goes to the 300, because you can step up to a heavier bullet weight. However many elk and moose have fallen to the 7mm. If all you are going to hunt is deer and black bear, and maybe an elk or moose trip I would go with 7mm. Both will get the job done.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Weatherby shooters fire5179204/02/2013 22:38 pm
WEATHERBY MK V .240 WEATHERBY MAGmadmax110/25/2010 17:18 pm
weatherby vanguardbillybob509/30/2004 23:43 pm
Weatherby Video contest --last callWby399012/11/2008 13:15 pm
Anobody bought a Weatherby 30-06 at Walmart lately?marinemaster511/13/2006 20:17 pm