19 replies [Last post]
7MM or 300

Of course everyone has their opinions, here is mine. Savage makes a great Firearm, however; they don't seem to hold their value as well as Ruger. You did Say that you would probaly keep the gun, so that doesn’t really matter. I it were me, I would choose the new Savage. They shoot great out of the box, and you could break it in right.
As far as Calibers, I am a .30 Fan. With a .30 cal. you have many options for bullet weight; therefore you can change up for different game. I would go with the 300 Win Mag. The 30-06 would be a good choice, but the 300 does have a little more knockdown at greater distance. As far as recoil, after the break-in, and sighting, you probaly will not shoot it enough to cause too much pain.
I hope this Helps, Thanks

Don Fischer's picture
7mm vs 300 win mag

welcome to BGH 30 shooter.

7mm vs 300 win mag

I have both a 7mm WSM and a .300WSM. Both guns are Winchester super shadows.

Either choice would be a good choice. They will both take the game you listed in your post. As far as recoil, my .300WSM has just a little more than the 7mmWSM. Neither one is bad. I shoot at least once a month, but usually shoot about 10 rounds though these 2. If I had to choose between the 2 and only have one, I would pick the 7mm. This is based on the hunting I do.

Since you wanted a Savage get it. Don't worry about value. Get the rifle that fits you. Shooting is all about confidence. If you only shoot once a year to check zero you won't be as good as you could be. If you only shoot once a year becasue it hurts, I would venture a guess there would a lot of misses.

It doesn't matter what caliber you squeeze the trigger on if you can't put the bullet in the broiler room. Magnums do not make up for poor shot placement.

Good luck with your choice

7mm vs 300 win mag

There is nothing wrong with shooting a magnum caliber. Both the 300 win mag and the 7mm rem mag have proven themselves many times over. You will love the flat trajectory of the magnums and there is not that much difference in recoil. In my opinion the 7 rem mag would be a tack driver out of that savage. 160 gr. swift a frames and you have great elk medicine. If you want a magnum by god get one or you will second guess yourself every hunt you go on.

How do you "break in" a barrel?

I have been following this post, and this has my curiousity up. I always thought that you simply shoot the gun until the bore needed cleaning, for ever how many years it may take to get to that point. Didn't know you had to break it in.

Anything will do

a rifle is a rifle and will do the job whether is a 7mm or 300--both are tough, but I would prefer something that holds more rounds--no one is perfect

7mm vs 300 win mag

Man you picked two outstanding calibers to choose from. Now I have not shot any of the newer Savages but the Ruger # 1 would be hard for me too pass up.
I own a 7 Mag in a Model 70 that I have had for 32 years and I still love the combo. But recently I picked up a Winchester Model 70 Super Shadow in the 300 WSM still in the box and at a steal. Thankyou Wal-Mart.
I am using Combined Technology ballistic tips reloads in the 7 and it's a awesome load. Now in the 300 WSM , I am using 160 Accubond reloads which seem to shoot well on paper. I have yet to see a shootable deer on my hunts here at home. Now the guy that loads for me shoots the 300 Win Mag with the accubonds and he has harvested several deer with it and that combo is working well for him.
Now I also have a 270 and 30-06, so I grab what I feel like hunting with on any given day. I do not think you will go wrong on any of your choices. So good luck.

7mm vs 300 win mag

Some heavy duty rifles (300/7mm) and will surely slam some deer to the ground. If you think you will be doing alot of long range shooting these calibers will do fine. Most of my kills come with in 200 yards. Actually just got an old Savage Bolt Action 30-30 last month in a trade, used it for the heck of it on our last day of tribal hunting season today and knocked down a cow at 150 yards w/ an iron site, made my day. But my main gun is a Ruger M77 .308 which I got this year, knocked down a bull, buck, and a calf with it. but any rifle you get, you will surely take pride in it.

Southern_Whitetail_Hunter wrote:
Man you picked two outstanding calibers to choose from. Now I have not shot any of the newer Savages but the Ruger # 1 would be hard for me too pass up.
I own a 7 Mag in a Model 70 that I have had for 32 years and I still love the combo. But recently I picked up a Winchester Model 70 Super Shadow in the 300 WSM still in the box and at a steal. Thankyou Wal-Mart.
I am using Combined Technology ballistic tips reloads in the 7 and it's a awesome load. Now in the 300 WSM , I am using 160 Accubond reloads which seem to shoot well on paper. I have yet to see a shootable deer on my hunts here at home. Now the guy that loads for me shoots the 300 Win Mag with the accubonds and he has harvested several deer with it and that combo is working well for him.
Now I also have a 270 and 30-06, so I grab what I feel like hunting with on any given day. I do not think you will go wrong on any of your choices. So good luck.
7mm vs 300 win mag

Not sure if this is a dead subject, I just joined the forum and seen that AZbuckeye is from Ohio moving to AZ. Are you military? I'm active duty and moved to the DC area about 14 months ago from Tucson. I'm from NW Ohio and spent about 8 1/2 years in AZ. I hunted there alot and have shot Cuez and Mule deer. As you can tell from my screen name I love the 7mm Rem Mag. I have a Ruger #1 in 7mm that I bought before moving to VA. Before that I had a Savage 116 in 7mm Rem Mag. I shot deer from 150-425 yrds one shot kills and coyotes from 60-380yrds. The 7mm will do anything you want on any of the big game in AZ to include most Alaska critters, I'm a very capable shooter and have no problem taking a shot at elk out to 350yrds. A premium 160-175gr bullet moving around 2900+fps will anchor an elk. The 300 win will do the same but offers bigger bullets, you really have to see what your comfortable with when it comes to recoil. There is not much gain velocity wise from the 300 over the 7mm unless you drop quit a bit in bullet weight. I would not reccomend the Ruger #1 for the rocky areas, you'll trash it! If your hunting Elk area you'll be fine, but remember AZ is a draw state for all big game accept archery deer and mountain lion. You may not get drawn for a couple of years on elk depending on the areas you select. So ask yourself how offten will I be hunting in the elk regions? If your shooting deer I would shoot a deer at 600yrds with either caliber but my skills are at that level. Point is either one will do what you want with out a second thought. I reload all my ammo so if you want some good starting loads for 7mm let me know. One more thing Ruger #1's are known for either shooting good or like crap because of the way the forearm is connected to the barrel, but there are after market connectors that fix it fairly cheap.