19 replies [Last post]
7mm vs 300 win mag

I recently moved out west from the heart land and I'm looking to purchase a new rifle. I want to get something that could be used on deer, elk and other mid to large game. I had made up my mind to get a 7mm until I went to a local dealer and he almost talked me into a 300 win mag. I was planning on getting a Savage 116 in 7mm since it has the new accu-trigger and adjustable muzzel brake with stainless barrel and I can get it for around $600.

Here's where the dilema started. The dealer showed me a used Ruger #1 chambered in 300 win mag with a Bushnell Eliete 3x9x40 scope. He offered it to me for the same price. I'm sure that the Ruger would hold it's value better than the Savage, but I doubt that I would ever sell it. The Ruger was in good shape, no nicks or scratches, but it appeared to be an older gun. The trigger also appeared to have been worked on. It was sharp and crisp without too much weight. I don't know if the barrel was broke in "properly" or how it would shoot.

I've never tried hunting with a single shot, but I've never needed more than one shot to finish the job. A part of me likes the security of having multiple rounds available.

Has anyone had any experience with the single shot Ruger? Witch caliber would shoot flatter? Any thoughts? Am I way off base?
Think

7mm vs 300 win mag

may i suggest the 300 wsm. its almost identical to the 300 win mag ballistically but a touch better. shorter bolt throw and shorter barrel makes for a better carrying and faster handling rifle. i have one in browning a bolt and absoluetly love the gun...recoil is very managable for the gun only being 6 1/2 lbs. your better off going 30 caliber instead of 7mm in my opinion! good luck!! Thumbs up

Don Fischer's picture
7mm vs 300 win mag

I'm not a magnum fan at all any more so keep that in mind. With the 7mm mag you gain little over the 7-08/270/280 class of cartridges fo hunting unless you stick to a min of 160 gr bullets or better yet 175 gr bullets. Theres just not enough difference in ability between the three standard cartridges and a 7mm mag with bullets below 160gr and there is a lot of recoil difference.

In 30 cal, the real value to me of the 300 mag's is their ability to handle heavy bullets again. With 165 and 180 gr bullets the real world advantage of the magnums over the standare 30-06 and 308 isn't what you'd think it is. But it really handles the 200 gr bullets well the price being paid is more costly ammo and recoil. A lot of people use the 300's with bullet's as light as 150 but the velocities are so high that bullet preformance becomes iffy, even with the 165gr. At 180gr, the 300 win mag will only get you about an extra 100fps with more recoil and more costly ammo. The difference in ability to kill game with equal shot placement to well farther than I would recommend shooting is questionable.

All that aside, people that use the 300 win mag really seem to like is as a general rule. Of those that don't, the biggest complaint I hear is the recoil. Those that reload for it seem to favor premium bullet's, = expensive. That is likely because of the velocity. While not that much greater than the 30-06, it seem's to leave that magic parimeter where standard bullets preform properly.

Think I'd ask the guy with the Ruger #1 if I could go shoot it prior to buying it. If you can, buy a box of ammo from him and go to the range. After that you'll know if you want it or not.

7mm vs 300 win mag

Thanks for the input. The biggest reason I was interested in a Magnum is the ability to use the larger bullets if needed. I wanted to get a gun that would allow for some versatility and options.

I've heard some good things about the Remington Managed Recoil loads. That may be a load that I could use for deer since most of my shots are within 200 yards, but when I get the opportunity to go out for Elk I could bump up to a true magnum round with a heavy bullet. I can handle the heavy recoil without flinching, but I'll avoid it if I can. I don't enjoy getting hurt.

Any thoughts on the Ruger #1 vs a Savage bolt action?

Don Fischer's picture
7mm vs 300 win mag

Ruger #1 vrs Savage. I've wanted a #1 a long time and when my chance came I turned it down. Maybe I still would. For hunting big game I would go with the Savage. You will, if nothing else, have a magazine that carries extra shells. If you need a follow up shot with the #1, you'll either have to fish mone out of your pocket or carry an extra in your hand while you shoot.

7mm vs 300 win mag

Another thing to consider is that the Ruger will out kick the Savage when chambered for the same caliber. If you are set on a magnum, get the heavier gun. Plus, the muzzle break will help both with recoil and barrel jump. One other thing, the Ruger #1 is a very pretty gun, do you want to risk dinging it up when climbing in the mountains?

ADKBEAR's picture
7mm vs 300 win mag

The 7mm mag Vs the 300 Win mag in reality there is not a lot of difference between the two. Each has a dedicated following. Either on will do the job you are looking to have your gun do.
The guns are both from good solid gun companys and tested models. If this is and will be your only big game rifle I would go with the Savage as a more versital gun in different situations. If you will or do have other big game rifles buy the Ruger. It is a good price on a classic (not to mention really good looking) gun.
My 2 cents

7mm vs 300 win mag

IF I were looking at a 300, I'd also go with the WSM as well. BUT, Either one will get the job done just as well as the other. Remember, there are choices out there too, you don't have to buy from one gun store from a guy whose idea of a good rifle might be different than what you really need.

Don, the way I see the numbers between the 30.06 and 300 Win there is approximately 350 - 400 fps difference in the median loads from both Nosler and Speer. Sure you could take the hottest 30.06 load and compare it to the slowest 300 Win load and find a 100 fps difference, but across the board the difference is a lot more than that. Especially with factory ammo your are more likely to find lighter 30.06 loads (still a lot of old rifles in .06) and hotter 300 win loads which could equate to a difference of 500 to 600 fps between the two of them.

7mm vs 300 win mag

Have both and my advise it to get the Savage in 30/06 or 308, put luppy mounts and rings with a luppy 3-9 scope, spend the rest on ammo and shoot the day lights out of it.

Best of luck.

7mm vs 300 win mag

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to have to re-evaluate my choices based on your thoughts. Maybe a non-magnum would be a better all round choice for me. I just want a rifle that will get the job done day after day and allow me to get out in the field. I would much rather spend my day hunting than at the range, but I know that range time is critical to a successful hunt.

Before moving out west I would bow hunt whitetails in Ohio every weekend in the fall. There is a big difference in terrain and I don't feel that I could be successful with a bow in the wide open, but I'm really fealing the urge to get out in the field and I'm trying to find a way to do that here. Sitting in an office everyday is really starting to get to me. My wife thinks that I've got ADD because I can't stand to be indoors all the time.
Brick Wall,)

7mm vs 300 win mag

AZBuckeye,

Welcome to the post and to AZ. Sure are a lot of you buckeyes moving here. My good friend and hunting partner is a buckeye. He recently opted for the 300 win mag and is very pleased. I really like the round myself but agree with Don regarding bullet performance. I believe that you are going to find that premium bullets are required by the magnums. I have found that many bullets just cannot hold up.

If the magnums have a muzzle break the recoil really is not that unmanagable but you might want to go ahead and buy your hearing aids now. I have hunted with a couple of guides that asked that they not be used because of the noise. In Montana, where my brother live you are not thought of as a real man if you don't have at least a 300 mag. but you sure see a lot of scope eyes after opening weekend.

I'm not a believer in one gun fits all game, but the 300 comes close. I like the heavier bullets available in the 30's vs. 7mm. Nothing like mass when hunting a big bull elk. I personally use a 270 win for deer and antelope, 300 win mag with 180 grain barns TSX or 9.3x62 with 286 grain partitions for elk depending on the terrain. I do find that there is more meat damage with the magnums.

One thing's for sure, if cost is an issue then the magnum ammo is far more expensive and somewhat less available.

Having said all of that, either gun you are looking at will probably get the job done. Get the one that you will learn to shoot well and then go get that trophy (if you can get drawn).