8 replies [Last post]
Offline
Location: binghamton ny
Joined: 11/19/2009
Posts: 7
7.62 nato 147 grain round VS federal .308 180 grain

I shoot a savage .308 for deer hunting. does anyone know how the 7.62 nato round shoots compared to federal or any other round in this caliber, in regards to accuracy and range.

Offline
Moderator
Location: Nova Scotia
Joined: 08/17/2002
Posts: 1762
7.62 nato 147 grain round VS federal .308 180 grain

Accuracy and range are comparable to the commercial rounds however the bullet selection would not be good for hunting. If you just want to target shoot paper they would be fine.

Joined: 05/30/2012
Posts: 61
I agree

ChesterGolf wrote:
Accuracy and range are comparable to the commercial rounds however the bullet selection would not be good for hunting. If you just want to target shoot paper they would be fine.

Exactly right.  And as said above any factory loaded hunting bullet would work just fine for deer, although I recommend heavier bullets (150 grain and over)  in case you hit bone. 

Offline
Location: binghamton ny
Joined: 11/19/2009
Posts: 7
7.62 nato 147 grain round VS federal .308 180 grain

thanks for the help. Is there a specific .308 round that works best for whitetail deer?

WesternHunter's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/05/2006
Posts: 2368
7.62 nato 147 grain round VS federal .308 180 grain

Any standard powder load topped off with a soft-point bullet in the 150 to 165 grain weight will do just fine in .308 for whitetail. I like Speer Sptz Boattails for whitetail and pronghorn, but I'm using a .270 Win with 130 grain bullets. For bigger game I go with Speeer Grand Slams.

Offline
Moderator
Location: Florida,USA
Joined: 08/21/2003
Posts: 1566
7.62 nato 147 grain round VS federal .308 180 grain

I shoot Federal Premium 165gr BTSP when hunting wooded areas but will use the Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip in 168gr if I'm hunting a field, chop or anywhere that a shot farther than 150 yards might present itself.
The 168gr Silvertip will shoot about 1 1/2" higher @ 100 yards than the 165gr so they can both be used without any scope adjustments.

I tried shooting the Remington 150gr Corelokt PSP but they would fail to eject fully for some unknown reason so I quit using them even though they held a slightly tighter group @ 100 yards than the Federal Premiums did.
The jamming was odd cause it was a Remington Rifle and only the Remington ammo would jam, go figure.

Offline
Moderator
Location: Nova Scotia
Joined: 08/17/2002
Posts: 1762
7.62 nato 147 grain round VS federal .308 180 grain
JTapia wrote:
I shoot Federal Premium 165gr BTSP when hunting wooded areas but will use the Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip in 168gr if I'm hunting a field, chop or anywhere that a shot farther than 150 yards might present itself.
The 168gr Silvertip will shoot about 1 1/2" higher @ 100 yards than the 165gr so they can both be used without any scope adjustments.

I tried shooting the Remington 150gr Corelokt PSP but they would fail to eject fully for some unknown reason so I quit using them even though they held a slightly tighter group @ 100 yards than the Federal Premiums did.
The jamming was odd cause it was a Remington Rifle and only the Remington ammo would jam, go figure.

Remington brass from a reloaders point of view, tends to be a bit softer and that may be causing you the problems.

Offline
Moderator
Location: Florida,USA
Joined: 08/21/2003
Posts: 1566
7.62 nato 147 grain round VS federal .308 180 grain
ChesterGolf wrote:
Remington brass from a reloaders point of view, tends to be a bit softer and that may be causing you the problems.

That sounds plausible.
The case would not fully disengage from the extractor and would end up sideways. Looking at the case with a magnifying glass you could see the marring where the extractor was grabbing it.
Ashamed cause they shot tighter than all other factory ammo I tried.

Offline
Location: Misouri
Joined: 11/30/2005
Posts: 365
7.62 nato 147 grain round VS federal .308 180 grain

Find a good soft point that shoots well and go hunting. Theres about 50 differnt 308 factory choces out there.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
.270 win for small Cow Bison ( American Buffalo )jrhunter25305/05/2013 15:07 pm
Wanted: Ammo Trade for .40 CalDurangoGuy007/04/2008 14:27 pm
Elk Bullet Choiceparsond401/20/2004 08:33 am
WTB Hornady .375 300 grain round nosegroovy mike012/30/2010 13:32 pm
125 gr 30 06 round for deerVeloxlock2007/07/2005 22:35 pm