6 replies [Last post]
7 mm mag verses 300 mags

given a 175 or 160 grain bullet at 3100 fps how would it compare to a 180 grain or200 grain bullet on a big elk out to the 400 yd mark?will it kill better?that is to say if a animal is hit right will i give up more with a 7 mm over a 30 cal bullet?
gary b

7 mm mag verses 300 mags

I have both and taken alot of elk with both, both guiding and hunting for myself. Both do the trick but out to ranges like 400 I would leave my 7mm mag at home for Elk.

Any round that will penetrate cleanly into vitals will work. Its become my beleif that more time spend shooting is the key. Personally and professionally I dont beleive sighting in one or twice a year from a bench is good enough but hunters shoud practice in practical situations (I have seen many shooters do well from bench and completely miss when in the feild). Kneeling, laying down, laying over a backpack ectect to include off hand shooting and do ones practicing at various angles of degree.
Another thing people in general need to actually practice is the stalk so one doesnt have to take those 400 yard shots as much. If i had a dollar for every great white hunter with stories of hunting exsperiance that i had to tote thier fat butt up a hill... oh wait, I do have a dollar for everyone.hehe

7 mm mag verses 300 mags

All of the elk I've killed (except one) has been killed with a 7mm rem mag spitting out 160 gr Nosler partitions. Last year, the cow I thumped was ranged at 337 yds and crumpled her with one shot. I'm not an expert on long range shooting but doubt that I would take a 400 yd shot unless conditions were optimal. For the average hunter, the 7 mag will tackle any North American game aside from the biggest bears.

SoCoKHntr's picture
7 mm mag verses 300 mags

My uncle who I've hunted with the past few years since moving back to Colorado from Wyoming where he lived many years recently told me about two cow elk he killed years back with a 280 at a range of 400 yards. They were handloads with premium bullets and he said even at that range he had full penetration through each elk. He of course is an extremely good marksmen who shot year round at every chance in addition to rolling his own loads. The 280 is pretty equivalent to the 7mm Mag if I'm not wrong more so with hot hand loads.

7 mm mag verses 300 mags

The 280 is a excellent and underrated round to all but reloaders. I beleive a closer equation would be closer to a 270 then 7mm mag. as far as performance goes.
Infact this is why the 280 didnt get the popularity it probably deserved is the .270 was already the hot item that alot of people thought was the end all of all around calibers by the time the .280 was introduced..
The 280 and 7mm MAG is however far enough apart I concider them 2 different beasts. The .280 is reloadable to close to performance of a 7mm mag but if you reload the 7mm mag you again pull away so its apples to oranges.
As for the 7mm vs 300 or any comparision of such calibers no question that whatever the range 200, 400 or more yards the .30 is going to arrive with more energy.That said, how much do you need with todays bullets, if the same sectional density and ballistic coefficient were used in each caliber, to compare the 7mm has more then enough energy to be over 2100fbs and less recoil then the 300mag,2100 being a min. for elk IMHO.
I have both and guided hunters with all these cailbers being common, I generally opt for my 300 mag over my 7mm for one and only one reason, I sometimes have to make a longer range follow up shot for hunters im guiding that might put the animal out over 400 yards, (you all know how fast a few hundred yards can be covered by a wounded animal and yes i regularly pracitce those shots) Not often but it has happened AND we hunt in Griz country so thats my only reasons for the 300 mag OVER a 7mm mag. When deer hunting, especially my own hunts almost always i drag the willing 7mm mag out.

SoCoKHntr's picture
7 mm mag verses 300 mags

Good point. In Griz country my confidence level would definitely be a tad higher toting a 300 Mag then my own 7 Mag.

7 mm mag verses 300 mags

7mm mag with 160 accubond or partitions at 3000 plus fps is a great elk load,

300 with 165-180 of the same is great to. your preference.

I took my 2007 Utah 6X6 390 bull at 563 yards with a 120 grain Nosler Partition out of my 257 Weatherby Magnum. Hit it in the heart first shot. Got it on video. Shot placement is everything and shoot until they are down. Elk are tough.

I shoot "A LOT" you might say.

I guide big game hunts and train law enforcement and civilians on rifle shooting as well as other firearms. It is nice to shoot without having to pay for the ammo. most of the time.

The members of this forum are very knowledgeable on this and other subjects I have read. You are in good company when asking for opinions.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
7 mm verses 300 magsgary brezinski712/05/2008 17:55 pm
If your curious about the short mags.fuzzybear004/10/2004 13:57 pm
Montana Mule Deer Guideshounddog30701/23/2008 17:40 pm
bullet energy on gamegary brezinski202/21/2007 20:44 pm
Montana Mule Deer Guides wantedhounddog30001/20/2008 21:33 pm