18 replies [Last post]
575 MT Elk?

True for sure I agree totally it isnt hunting but would you shoot it if you had the chance and would you eat it given the chance?

575 MT Elk?

i would shoot in a heart beat, and what i shoot i eat

575 MT Elk?

Same here but I would hate knowing it had to be a fenced animal.

575 MT Elk?

If it's legal it's OK with me.

We've got to quit cutting our own throats.

575 MT Elk?

Ten Sleep said:
If it's legal it's OK with me

I agree 100% and there's no way I'd pass that bull up, high fenced or not. No laws were broken and no other hunter's rights were trampled on in the process of taking that animal, so more power to him.

However, I certainly would not try to pass it off as taken out in a non-fenced area if that was not the case, and I'd make sure my friends who spread the word knew the same.

575 MT Elk?

Have you ever wondered how many animals acaully make it into the P/Y AND B/C books even thought some one shot them in an emclosure and lied their butts off. I bet you it has happened more than you think.

There was a story about that years ago back east where I grew up, where a guy shot a big whitetail over 170 BC in an enclosure and then drove back to his hutning area not that far a away few hours set up field pics with it in the area he hunted on private farm land TAGGED IT WITH HIS HUNTING LICENSE cut the rack off had it scored to go in B/C and and all was on its way until some one reconized his name and photo who happened to be hunting at the enclosure and met him blew the whistle on him quick.

Sad to think that there is actually people who are willing to to something like this and the worst part is it ahs been done and its not that easy to prove.

575 MT Elk?
TheGreatwhitehunter wrote:
Have you ever wondered how many animals acaully make it into the P/Y AND B/C books even thought some one shot them in an emclosure and lied their butts off. I bet you it has happened more than you think.

There was a story about that years ago back east where I grew up, where a guy shot a big whitetail over 170 BC in an enclosure and then drove back to his hutning area not that far a away few hours set up field pics with it in the area he hunted on private farm land TAGGED IT WITH HIS HUNTING LICENSE cut the rack off had it scored to go in B/C and and all was on its way until someone reconized his name and photo who happened to be hunting at the enclosure and met him blew the whistle on him quick.

Sad to think that there is actually people who are willing to to something like this and the worst part is it ahs been done and its not that easy to prove.

I agree with you Scott. It's a lot harder today to get away with it then it was years ago. I get a kick out of reading some of those old stories about guys killing monster bulls and bucks and coming home and cutting off the rack and nailing it on the barn and after a generation, someone finally notices how large it was and has it scored and it turns out to be a record or in the top 5. I got a kick out of that bull that was killed outside of Crested Butte in 1899, he left the head and rack at the kill spot because he said it was to large to haul out of there on his horse with all of the meat. If I remember correctly, A bartender bet him it wasn't as large as he said it was, so the hunter took the bet and went all the way back down there to get it and it turns out to be the largest bull elk ever killed. It's been passed a few times now but that bull was the largest for a lot of years. Many hunters back then didn't really care about the rack size, matter of fact, if given a choice they'd shoot the younger, better tasting deer, some guys are still like that. Which is good and healthy for the sport. Very few things compare to fresh backstrap. Thumbs up

575 MT Elk?

You got that right man for sure. Thumbs up