15 replies [Last post]
500 egobooster.

I just got through working the shooting sports fair this weekend. For those who don't know what this is. It's a hands on gun show here in California in the Corona area of Riverside county. It's held ever year. Major manufacturers come from all over to showcase and let average folks fire whatever they have on display, for a few bucks to cover ammo costs.
I worked the entire time for Smith and Wesson as a range safety officer taking people out with whatever gun they paid to shoot and making sure they were safe.
I swear every fool in three counties just HAD to fire both the 460 and 500 magnums. Having those monsters go off next to your head for three days makes me sympathitic to that shell shocked soldier Patton slapped. I don't think even getting smacked by him could get me back out there. I of coarse had to shoot it myself too After my experience I simply can't devise a use for this gun (in my state anyway) for anything but boosting your ego and developing a nice flinch. If I lived in Alaska I could possibly see it but I have never been charged by a Heffalump or Buffalo's here in Co Cal and I just don't foresee the possibility.
Why do guys even buy these expensive to shoot, abusive things? Compensation issues maybe?

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Re: 500 egobooster.

In my opion you answered it in your title. I remember in the 70's and early 80's when the .44 mag and .454 Casul (sp) were the thing to have to boost you ego. I also remember how many folks would buy one run 50-100 rounds through it and then sell it within 6 months. I still have a couple of them that I picked up for a real nice price.

bitmasher's picture
I like the 460s&w more than

I like the 460s&w more than the 500s&w, for no other reason than being based off a straight 45 case.  It gives a good range of factory ammo to use in one revolver.

hawkeye270's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I don't get how owning a

I don't get how owning a large gun would boost your ego. I just think it would be fun to shoot. But it is definitely not on my list of the next couple guns I;ll be purchasing.

dosghooter's picture
Where I hunt and play, there

Where I hunt and play, there are grizzly bears. I always carry a 44 mag and most times I feel safe. If I ever have to shoot to protect myself, I am sure I will be wishing I had a .500 in my hands instead of that "puny" .44 mag. I can see a place for them. I wouldn't go out and shoot tin cans with one but I would, if my aging wrists would allow, shoot it enough to become proficient with it. The .44 is all I can handle so I hope I never have to use it on an enraged sow grizzly intent on feeding me to her cubs.

hawkeye270's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
That is a good point. Most

That is a good point. Most guys would probably think that carrying a .44 magnum would be a good idea in big bear country. Better than most handgun calibers and certainly better than the rocks at your trembling feet! But if you were to get between a big sow and her cubs, or to accidentally walk up on a big boar that is caching a recent kill, that .44 magnum is going probably feel like my .22 rough rider. You would be really wishing that you had that .500 ego booster in your hands at that point! Or a 50 caliber turret mounted machine gun or a punt gun for that matter.

And for the above folks there

And for the above folks there is a viable reason to buy and own one. I'm talking about those guys in So Cal who will never go to Alaska or anywhere there might be a need for such a monster handgun but they just HAVE to buy one. I just dont get it.

expatriate's picture
Because it's AMERICA...it's

Because it's AMERICA...it's what we do.  After all, we gave the world the 64 oz big gulp, monster trucks, and 60 inch TVs.  Why should handguns be different?  Thumbs up

Duh!

Help! Figures,

I was looking for some deep mystical ,insight into the male psyche. I get big gulps and monster trucks. :) 

expatriate's picture
Oh, I'm sorry, Bunny.  I

Oh, I'm sorry, Bunny.  I misread your intent.  Although it might be tempting to look at the .500 from a purely Freudian perspective and consider the possibility that it's fulfilling a psychological need for phallic substitution, Jungian psychology suggests that its tie in to monster trucks, big gulps, and big screen TVs may reveal a collective unconscious thread in our society that transcends the individual -- perhaps representing a societal fear of feminist emasculation.   neener!

Smartaleck

Even when he's joking he's smarter than me!!!!