18 replies [Last post]
groovy mike's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
500 black powder express loads?

PICKED UP MY 500 BLACK POWDER EXPRESS FROM THE GUNSMITH TODAY.  It fires primed cartridge cases just fine, but my test load of 60 grains of IMR 3031 only fills about 1/3 of the case and the primer will not ignite the powder.  I need another load or maybe put in filler and crimp it for more pressure and better burn.  Does anyone here have a 500 BPE load that works? I hate to putblack powder in it but might have too....

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
If I was you I would just use

If I was you I would just use a filler to keep the powder down at the primer end.  Years ago I bought a pillow and just used the stuffing in it for down sized loads in a 45-70 in a Thompson Center Contender.  I had no problems with misfires as long as I owned that barrel and I gave away the pillow stuffing when I sold it.  A black powder load in it would be fun but it gets a little bit messy having to clean it more. 

hunter25's picture
The filler loads are the way

The filler loads are the way to go. Even if you did get them to pop I doubt you would get shot to shot consistency because of the different positions of the powder with every shot.

Would some sort of black powder substitute be an option such as pyrodex or tripple7? I know the loads I bought for my .577-450 from Ten-x use a substitute of some sort.

I know next to nothing about this topic for what it's worth.

groovy mike's picture
Thanks guys

I will try filler.  I have some fiber shotgun wads and I don't see why jamming that atop the powder then seating the bullet won't work if I start low and work my way up.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Just make sure that the

Just make sure that the shotgun wad is smaller than your bore diameter or you could be in for a surprise that you don't want. 

niceshot_smitty's picture
Don't use shotgun wads!!! in

Don't use shotgun wads!!! in less you plan on looking down the barrel every shot..  I would try a different kind of wad.  i can't remember off the top of my head but i will try something else.  i would even ask a local gun shop. 

groovy mike's picture
cotton balls

A friend of mine suggested using cotton balls on top of teh powder.  That seems like a good idea.  I'll let you know how it works out when I get a chance to load some up and get to the range.  Thanks guys.

good luck.  let us know how

good luck.  let us know how it goes. 

hey i talked to my dad who

hey i talked to my dad who shoots alot of blackpowder / smokeless powder loads in in blackpowder rifles.  He said to use cornmill in the loads for filler.  does not mess with anything. 

groovy mike's picture
range report - more testing to do!

My first test loads of 35, 40, and 45 grains of 3031 behind a cotton ball as filler and the 325 grain projectile did not burn - still not enough pressure inside the case.  The 45 grain loads barely put the projectile into the barrel.  50 grains of 3031 cleared the barrel but it felt like 10 grains of Red Dot.  I need a lot more pressure with this powder for good ignition.  Next range trip I will test 60 and 65 grains of 3031 with the cotton ball.  60 grains without the cotton ball does not get good burn.  Gotta go buy more cotton balls! Maybe I'll add some corn meal on top of the cotton ball before the projectile too........

I will also try 50-60 grains of IMR4350 and IMR4320.  Details to follow in a week or so.....

Here's a link for some low

Here's a link for some low pressure loads using Accurate Arms 5744 powder.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/accurate_load_data_
3.5.pdf

Hey Mike try it with just the cornmill and no cotton ball.  I use 5744 from Accurate Arms on most sharps and side by side. 

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
500 black powder express?groovy mike107/29/2011 13:23 pm
Muzzleloading shotgun questionsDocHunter401/30/2008 09:09 am
Light 500 BPE or 500 NE loads?groovy mike307/15/2011 06:14 am
black powder cleaning?groovy mike507/10/2011 16:07 pm
New or Old?RevHoover910/17/2011 12:40 pm