50 replies [Last post]
hunter25's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Colorado western slope
Joined: 11/13/2009
Posts: 3023
I always have been and

I always have been and probably will be a Ford guy all the way. I have owned other cars but my trucks have all been Ford.

I'm not sure how old your last truck was but 17 has pretty much become the standard size for for most trucks and suv's the last few years. 15's have gotten to be special order around here and 16's like what I use are not the most common anymore either.lol

WesternHunter's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/05/2006
Posts: 2368
wheels

hunter25 wrote:

I always have been and probably will be a Ford guy all the way. I have owned other cars but my trucks have all been Ford.

I'm not sure how old your last truck was but 17 has pretty much become the standard size for for most trucks and suv's the last few years. 15's have gotten to be special order around here and 16's like what I use are not the most common anymore either.lol

I think 16" are still standard for most midsized off-road SUV vehicles.  For pick-up trucks 17" wheels seem to be factory stock on most trucks, with larger diameter wheels being either factory or aftermarket up-grade options.  Personally I like 17" wheels on a truck.  You can put higher aspect ration tires on those 17' wheels to give you some height/ground clearance.  More importantly, that higher width to height ratio comes in as essential for off-road driving and while driving on muddy, sandy, slick conditions.  With more height to width ratio tire surface around those wheels, as a last resort if you encounter slick muddy conditions where your tires aren't gripping well, you can let out some air from your tires (slightly flatten them) to give you more tred surface spread-out on the ground, giving you more bite and traction to get going.  In my opinion the larger wheels (18", 19", 20") result in a smaller tire ratio (profile).  Looks nice and fancy in town on paved roads, but really serve of little practical usefulness in rugged conditions.

Topgun 30-06's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Allegan, MI
Joined: 12/11/2010
Posts: 695
Everybody can say what they

Everybody can say what they want about GM, but I'll stay with them.  I had a 91 GMC Sonoma when I got into trucks and away from a car as my second set of wheels.  I had that with nary a problem until I sold it outright to a friend and bought a 1998 Silverado Shortbed 4x4 with a 5.7 liter V8.  It had 16" wheels and the clearance was fine for everything I do out in Wyoming.  It had over 125,000 miles on it and only one repair (a $400 switch telling the auto tranny when to shift) when I traded it in for a new 2006 Silverado Shortbed 4x4 with the flex fuel 5.3 V8 engine and it has 17" wheels they went to that year.  It hasn't had any repairs or problems in the 75,000 miles I've put on it.  I would like to ask one question and that is where anyone can buy a new 4x4 full size truck nowadays for the $22,000 that was mentioned in this thread?  Both of mine were in the upper 20s to lower 30s when I bought them 13 and 5 years ago respectively and that was with good deals because my stepson was the Director of Parts & Service at the dealership where I bought them.  That was at least a $5K savings with him working for them.  I just put a set of Cooper 10 plys on it several months ago on my last trip to Wyoming and dropped almost a thousand bucks for them, but I really like their all terrain tires.  Both of these trucks have averaged about 18-20 MPG on the road with a light load.  When full and pulling my 1000# camper, I average 15-15.5 MPG on my western trips.  I'm not sure what the Fords are getting, but I can guarantee that a Dodge won't touch that kind of mileage unless they are going downhill all day!!!

WesternHunter's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/05/2006
Posts: 2368
trucks

Topgun 30-06 wrote:

Everybody can say what they want about GM, but I'll stay with them.  I had a 91 GMC Sonoma when I got into trucks and away from a car as my second set of wheels.  I had that with nary a problem until I sold it outright to a friend and bought a 1998 Silverado Shortbed 4x4 with a 5.7 liter V8.  It had 16" wheels and the clearance was fine for everything I do out in Wyoming.  It had over 125,000 miles on it and only one repair (a $400 switch telling the auto tranny when to shift) when I traded it in for a new 2006 Silverado Shortbed 4x4 with the flex fuel 5.3 V8 engine and it has 17" wheels they went to that year.  It hasn't had any repairs or problems in the 75,000 miles I've put on it.  I would like to ask one question and that is where anyone can buy a new 4x4 full size truck nowadays for the $22,000 that was mentioned in this thread?  Both of mine were in the upper 20s to lower 30s when I bought them 13 and 5 years ago respectively and that was with good deals because my stepson was the Director of Parts & Service at the dealership where I bought them.  That was at least a $5K savings with him working for them.  I just put a set of Cooper 10 plys on it several months ago on my last trip to Wyoming and dropped almost a thousand bucks for them, but I really like their all terrain tires.  Both of these trucks have averaged about 18-20 MPG on the road with a light load.  When full and pulling my 1000# camper, I average 15-15.5 MPG on my western trips.  I'm not sure what the Fords are getting, but I can guarantee that a Dodge won't touch that kind of mileage unless they are going downhill all day!!!

My 2010 F-150 gets at best so far 19 mpg when driving at consistant 55-70 mph on the highway (when traffic moves). That's with only me in the truck and light loads or no loads.  Short hauls in the neighborhood or on the side streets with traffic lights, stop signs, and stop-go traffic and the gas mileage goes down pretty quickly according to the onboard computer.  Constant side street driving over a weeks time drops the gas mileage down to around 15-16 mpg.  Takes a week of constant highway driving to bring it back up to 19 mpg. With a 36 gallon tank at it's best gas mileages I can go almost 700 miles before I need to refuel.  I don't have anything to tow, so I have no idea how that would affect my mileage.  Uphill mountain driving drops the mileage down to around 17 mpg. 

It's flex-fuel, but I have not put any E85 in my tank yet.  I hear you get a bit more horsepower with ethanol, but the fuel efficiency goes down by 20%.  Considering that E85 is only at best about 20% cheaper than 87 Octane gasoline I can't see any reason (savings wise) to use it except as an alternative fuel source in case of a gasoline shortage or something.

I too would like to know were you can buy a 4x4 brand new full sized pick-up for $22K.  It just doesn't seem possible today, at least I haven't seen it.  Mine was sticker priced at almost twice that price, but I was able to talk them down on the price considerably. 

If anything goes wrong inside the warranty window I'll let the dealership take care of it.  I do all my routine maintenance myself, so that keeps the costs down considerably and it doesn't hurt my wallet all that much. I do oil & filter changes, tire rotations, brakes, serpentine belts, and all fluid flush/refills (differential, tranny, radiator) myself for better than half the cost of what the dealership or a reputable shop would charge.  Plus I feel better knowing exactly what was done and that I did it right and with care.  I also have done some major repairs (out-of-warranty) on our vehicles myself, that also keeps the cost down a lot.  So in the end the cost of that stuff doesn't tend to hurt me as much as it may hurt others.

groovy mike's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Joined: 03/19/2009
Posts: 2511
Thans for all the input!

Thank you for all the information folks.  I have read through it all and will consider your input as I shop.  I think Cowgal is right, I just have to drive them and see what is available.

WesternHunter]</p> <p>[quote=Topgun 30-06 wrote:

I too would like to know were you can buy a 4x4 brand new full sized pick-up for $22K.  It just doesn't seem possible today, at least I haven't seen it.  Mine was sticker priced at almost twice that price, but I was able to talk them down on the price considerably. 

Here you go:

2011 Ram 1500
http://zapponemotors.com/view-our-inventory/new-vehicles

msrp* starting at $20,810

 

WesternHunter's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/05/2006
Posts: 2368
but have you seen?

groovy mike]</p> <p>Thank you for all the information folks.&nbsp; I have read through it all and will consider your input as I shop.&nbsp; I think Cowgal is right, I just have to drive them and see what is available.</p> <p>[quote=WesternHunter wrote:

Topgun 30-06 wrote:

I too would like to know were you can buy a 4x4 brand new full sized pick-up for $22K.  It just doesn't seem possible today, at least I haven't seen it.  Mine was sticker priced at almost twice that price, but I was able to talk them down on the price considerably. 

Here you go:

2011 Ram 1500
http://zapponemotors.com/view-our-inventory/new-vehicles

msrp* starting at $20,810

 

But have you actually seen and test driven the actual truck at that starting price?  In my experience those starting prices are simply to get you to come to their lot to shop.  And I've never seen a truck on anyones lot at the base starting price.  Shop around some and you'll understand what I'm saying.  $20,810 for a full sized 1/2 ton isn't going to get you much.  I'm just saying. Try the build your own option on that website and you'll see what I mean.

expatriate's picture
Offline
Location: Arizona
Joined: 10/26/2002
Posts: 3207
4x4 truck opinions

I've never owned a GM truck, but I inherited a 2001 Camaro  at the end of 2006 when my son passed away.  I've only put around 10K miles on it since (still only has around 45K), and over the past year and a half I've had it in the shop for an ignition coil that went bad, had to have the rear end rebuilt, and now the maintenance light is on again and the code scanner is telling me there's a catalyst problem.  That's in addition to the second set of tires I just put on it since I owned it.  On the other hand, I also have a 2000 Ford Ranger that's rolling over 100K, and the only problem it's ever had was a tension pulley on the serpentine belt.  Same story with two Toyotas, a Mitsubishi, and a Honda I've owned over the years.  GM just doesn't impress me...I'm beginning to understand why the face of GM's marketing for so many years was "Mr. Goodwrench."

Oh, yeah...and I worked with a guy a few years back that had his Chevy Trailblazer recalled because the bumpers were coming loose.  He took it in and they fixed it.  When he asked what they did, the guy got evasive.  He finally pressed him enough that the guy admitted the repair method: velcro.

Topgun 30-06's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Allegan, MI
Joined: 12/11/2010
Posts: 695
It's not quite hoyle to

It's not quite hoyle to compare a Camaro that a kid was driving and now you have it used with a bunch of problems.  It's true that somethimes you can get a lemon in any vehicle you buy and if I ever experienced that you can bet I would be on the company so hard and so long that they would own it and I'd have another vehicle at their cost.  Just out of curiousity I punched in the Dodge 4x4 quad cab on the internet for a basic price.  A box came up asking for my basic contact information saying that somenone would contact me.  I got a call already since my last post and up here in lower Michigan where I live the guy gave me a quote of around $35,000 for a 4x4 Dodge Laramie 4 door quad cab with no frills!  Figure another $5K if you want tires and a steering wheel, LOL!

Critter's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Location: Western Colorado
Joined: 03/26/2009
Posts: 4071
When it finely comes down to

When it finely comes down to what manufacture is the best it all depends on what you use the truck for and how you take care of it.  I had a 84 Ford with the 6.9 diesel in it and when I got rid of it in 96 it had close to 675,000 miles on it.  The only repairs were to things that just wear out and as far as recalls it had two minor ones.  I also drove a 89 Chevy 3500 4x4 at work for 290,000 miles and it was also a fine truck.  The only major repair on it was an intake gasket that let go at 90,000 miles and hydralockedthe engine.  After the repair it ran fine.  So if you are a Chevy man get a Chevy, if you like Fords better get a Ford and so on.  As far as who bailed out who does it really matter and if it does well then don't go with them. 

Topgun 30-06's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Allegan, MI
Joined: 12/11/2010
Posts: 695
Exactly my feelings

Exactly my feelings critter---well said!!!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
FAVOURITE WAY TO HUNT DEER?wonksy1509/08/2007 14:28 pm
25-06 and Elk?gameboy1002706/14/2012 11:33 am
Caliber opinions....WiskeyJaR1503/24/2008 18:06 pm
The Great Length of Pull DebateHighflyer403/02/2011 11:32 am
Looking for an ATVNight Raider207/25/2007 15:06 pm