12 replies [Last post]
new_elkchaser's picture
4th Season CO Elk GMU 444

Well, we are here on Basalt mt.at 8100ft Ready for mornings 4th season elk opener. Weather has been some sun but mostly cloudy and snowy. Seen two elk so far right by camp so hopefully that is a good sign of things to come! Will post more tomorrow afternoon on how it is going. Good luck to everyone out there hunting the 4th season!

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
I'll be out in the morrning

I'll be out in the morrning in unit 44 across the hill from you bright and early, or at least early with this snow that we are getting.  You have to love fresh snow the night before a hunt opens up for fresh tracking.  Now I just need to get out and bad that nice big cow. 

Good luck. 

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Good luck to all you guys. 

Good luck to all you guys.  Be safe, and come back with some great stories and photos!

new_elkchaser's picture
Day 1

Well, day one is in the books! Had a cow in the scope this mornin but it was a bit to far for my comfort level so I decided to keep lookin. First time out here so I did a lot of walkin in the fresh snow but finally found some good sign this evening. Hopefully tomorrow will be another great day!

GooseHunter Jr's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Gotta love techmology.  I too

Gotta love techmology.  I too had internet connection on my phone while elk hunting this year.  Good luck and be safe.  Shoot straight!!

Critter's picture
I guess that I need to start

I guess that I need to start hunting in a more populated area to where I can get cell coverage and keep everyone up on what I am seeing.  NOT

That is one of the nice things about where I hunt.  No cell coverage unless you drive around checking on the signal and even if you get a signal it doesn't mean that it is going to last very long. 

new_elkchaser's picture
Seasons End

Well, I didn't have any luck putting some meat in the freezer this time out but i had an incredible time none the less! As i had mentioned before, i had one in the scope but wasn't comfortable with the shot(552yds with a little wind)so i let her go. It seemed to be a bit of a tough 4th season for all in GMU444. I talked to a lot of hunters and only found 1 who had succesfully filled their tag as of the second to last day. Everyone seemed to have different opinions as to where the elk went. I seen a total of 8 elk and all were down low next to or on the private land(all over 1000yds and could not get close enough for a shot before they headed into the thick oak brush). I did however hike back up in to about 9200ft towards Red Table Mountain off the trail and found quite a bit of tracks and sign up there in the fresh snow as well but never saw any. This being my first hunt, it was quite a learning curve and hopefully my next will be even better.  I would just like to thank all those who posted commenst and helped me get very close to getting my first elk. Thanks again and hopefully i can do it again next year!

PreviewAttachmentSize
RedTable.jpg
RedTable.jpg790.09 KB
Resivoir.jpg
Resivoir.jpg639.72 KB
Me2.jpg
Me2.jpg913.6 KB
elkkill06's picture
Congrats still in order !

Sounds like you had a great hunt. Thumbs up Very nice hearing you knew your capabilities and did not push your shot. I commend you !

hawkeye270's picture
I am glad to hear that you

I am glad to hear that you had a good time! You don't have to get something for a hunting trip to be a success. It sounds like you found that out. I am sorry to hear that you did not get one but I agree with Quinton, I commend you for making the responsible decision and holding off on that shot. I won't shoot at that range with no wind. With wind it makes that shot even harder. There are people that can do it but I think you made the right decision if you weren't confident in the shot.

new_elkchaser's picture
Thanks!

Ya, even though there was no meat in the freezer at the end it truly was a great time. I learned alot from all the locals i talked to and everyone here for my next hunt. I know i'll have another opportunity at some point for a clean kill shot on one of these majestic creatures so i wasn't about to start my first hunt off on chasing a wounded animal all over the mountain. Thanks again to all

jim boyd's picture
Wow, sounds like a great

Wow, sounds like a great time!

Majestic scenery, some hard tracking and a responsible desicion - I call that a very successful hunt, for sure.

For the first time hunt - it sounds like you were in the game and that counts for a lot, in my book.

I recall way too many times as a first timer, I was not even close - east coast deer hunting was like that at the start...

I wish you all the luck, I have no doubt as you keep working - you will be successful.

Like you, I have gotten the bug to hunt in the west!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Advice on 4th season huntsnew2elk1305/14/2009 19:41 pm
Missouri 2010satchmo508/20/2010 17:29 pm
End of turkey seasonbirdman2012006/02/2013 23:55 pm
when does ur season start?dustinroiger609/25/2003 07:47 am
2011-12 Florida Waterfowl SeasonAlpine_Archer001/21/2012 09:10 am