9 replies [Last post]
new_elkchaser's picture
4th Season Clorado GMU 444 Hunt

Hello All,

I'm planning a 4th season elk hunt in Colorado's GMU 444. This will be my first elk hunt. I have done quite a bit of hiking and camping in the mountains before in Idaho so I believe i have that part of the trip covered. What i have no clue about is where the elk are that time of year and how to find em? I've done a bunch of research with topo maps with the USGS quads and arial maps such as google earth and so forth but really have no clue where i should base camp out of. I've been studying up on Elk Hunting University but if anyone has any suggestions, or has hunted this zone previously, any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!Thumbs up

I have spent some time during

I have spent some time during archery season between Basalt Mt. and red table mt. rd and saw a bunch of sign in there.  Those drainages look good, and I have heard a bunch of elk there.  A lot of it is thick oak brush, but there are some good areas and a few watering holes.  I stopped using it during archery season because it was too low, but later seasons it might be great.  Let me know if you have any luck there or if you find any good spots.

new_elkchaser's picture
CO 444 Hunt

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to report on how it goes for me here. Right now I am looking at heading up along the fryin pan river up towards Savage lakes or possibly up towards Woods Lake but i am waiting for my maps to get here to clarify whats what for land ownership in that area. I dont know, maybe thats the wrong place to be lookin? I will be sure to start looking over the area you mentioned now as well.

Thanks again!

bitmasher's picture
I have not hunted this area,

I have not hunted this area, but I would in the area triangulated by west of Spring Park Reservoir, south of Cottonwood Pass and north of carbondale.  Stay out of the high country for fourth season.

new_elkchaser's picture
Thanks much! The info is

Thanks much! The info is greatly appreciated.

Your right, that area is

Your right, that area is fantastic and you always see elk hit on the road near there, but it is all private land.  If you can convince a landowner, then it is a great spot, but otherwise, you have to head a little farther east.

Hi By 4th season the elk will

Hi

By 4th season the elk will be down lower by Ruedi Reservoir. a bit of private land exists around Meredith, Thomasville, and the dam area. The road to Woods Lake often is impassible with large amounts of snow.  If I were hunting 4th season I would head over the divide to area 45 and hunt Homestake creek road near Miniturn/Redcliff. The road is much better.  If you can't get up that high, there is a trail that takes you up to the 10th Mountain Division hut called the Harry Gates Hut that is a 6 mile ski/snowshoe and takes you to some good terrain. This is in 444. It will be on your map. Best of luck.

new_elkchaser's picture
Thanks for the info. I have

Thanks for the info. I have seen the Harry Gates Hut on my map and agree that that looks like some good terrain. Once again thanks for all the great info i truely appreciate it!

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
For 4th seson in 444 think

For 4th seson in 444 think low, low, and lower.  Even 2nd and 3rd season the elk seam to head to the private property down los to get away from the hunters.

new_elkchaser's picture
Any word on how the first seasons are going?

Critter wrote:

For 4th seson in 444 think low, low, and lower.  Even 2nd and 3rd season the elk seam to head to the private property down low to get away from the hunters.

The overall consensus seems to be to look low so i think thats where i'll be then. Anyone word on how the first seasons have been going on average?

Thanks again and good luck to everyone!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Arizona draw info?Ca_Vermonster1509/16/2014 08:28 am
Recoimmendations for CO 4th seasonpikemasterflex402/25/2010 13:37 pm
FL primative weapons hunt late season???Alpine_Archer409/02/2009 20:21 pm
First time elk huntwienac301/08/2007 17:28 pm
Late Cow Hunt (CO)JLM406/28/2004 12:05 pm