10 replies [Last post]
.450 Marlin for Brown Bear

Is the .450 Marlin a good choice for Brown and Grizzly ?

Don Fischer's picture

The 450 Marlin. I suspect you like the rifle. I've never used one and never hunted Brown/Grizzly bears. I have been around them though. I don't think I'd want to try it. Although I'm sure it would work, I think to work well it will have to be in hand shaking distence. We're talking about an animal that may well eat you after it kills you. You willing to bet your life on it?

I recall reading about a guy that shot a brown bear with a bow. He was fine until he put an arrow into it and the realization that it doesn't usually just fall down hit home. He said the most terrifying thing of the whole hunt was after the arrow hit and waiting for the bear, under 20yds off, to die. Ya really need to get small in your hole then!

While fishing on the Portage River in Alaska, I found Grizzley track's on the gravel bar I was fishing on. They were the size of pie plates. I ain't messing with something like that that eats meat unless I really have to!

waterrat's picture
450 Marlin

They were designed to kill brown bears! As with any slow and heavy keep your range within reason and shoot with confidence. 1 of the most bear huntinest guides in Alaska used a 45-70 forever and is still kicking(sort of).

PreviewAttachmentSize
spring bear 06 004.jpg
spring bear 06 004.jpg143.81 KB
hawkeye270's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
nice

waterrat wrote:
They were designed to kill brown bears! As with any slow and heavy keep your range within reason and shoot with confidence. 1 of the most bear huntinest guides in Alaska used a 45-70 forever and is still kicking(sort of).

good looking bear

.450 Marlin is fine out to 200 yds. you might be pushing it any further. The new leverevolution ammo may get you out to 300 yds, but it will drop pretty quick. Actually I would stick to Garrett hammerheads and cut the distance down to 200 max.

Thumbs up

BDH

If you're looking for power and extended range with any of the big Marlin calibres go to http://www.Buffalobore.com. I use 300 grain semi-jacketed hollow points in my Marlin 1895G chambered in .45-70 Govt for white tails in the tamarack swamps here at home. My son-in-law lives in North Pole AK and when we hunt there I use Buffalo Big Bore .405 gr loads. Check out the testimonials from customers, guides and professional hunters on their website. This ammo really increases the performance of these rifles.

These are big loads with a healthy wallop so be ready. My Marlin was ported by the factory and I topped it with a 4X32 fixed power scope on top of see through rings. My son-in-law runs a stainless model with open sights. We both like the ..45-70 because we can usually find ammo for it just about anywhere. I had trouble with that when I owned a .444 Marlin years ago. I haven't had any personal experience with the .450 but what I have read sounds pretty positive.

It's always nice to use a flat shooting round in open territory at a known distance. But when I hunt heavy timber, brushy river banks and tamarack swamps I want a bullet that isn't going to be deflected by blade of grass. I want something that will make it's own path and keep going...especially when my life depends on it.

Never bring a knfe to a gun fight.

numbnutz's picture
agree

BDH wrote:
It's always nice to use a flat shooting round in open territory at a known distance. But when I hunt heavy timber, brushy river banks and tamarack swamps I want a bullet that isn't going to be deflected by blade of grass. I want something that will make it's own path and keep going...especially when my life depends on it. Never bring a knfe to a gun fight.

+1

ecubackpacker's picture
The 450 is a great gun to

The 450 is a great gun to hunt bears. Besides the lever action, it is built on the AR platform. I would use iron sites instead of a scope though.

Tndeerhunter's picture
I like it

I just noticed this semi-old posting. When I went to Alaska this spring on a black bear hunt in an area also holding a lot of grizzlies, I chose the .450 as my rifle of choice. There are lots of rifles I own that would have made fine rifles for harvesting a black bear, but when I saw the pictures of the grizzlies killed from the same spike camp only one month earlier, I decided to hedge my bets and brought the .450.

If I am ever lucky enough to be able to hunt grizzlies, I plan on using this rifle for that hunt too. here's a couple of pics of the bears they took a month before we hunted.

And for the record, my .450 is a BLR and is IMO a much nicer rifle than the Marlin version.

PreviewAttachmentSize
439.jpg
439.jpg3.02 KB
441.JPG
441.JPG3.97 KB
ndemiter's picture
i'm familiar with that family

i'm familiar with that family of cartiges. i'd keep the distance a little shorter than 200 yds for a brown bear. i'd think of 150 max. and probabky 100-75 would be my target range. and i for sure would stick with iron sights for fast target aquisition in case of an attack.

Don Fischer's picture
Testing

Years ago testing was done to see how much if any heavy bullet's were deflected by brush. I no longer recall which cartridge's were, used but the outcome was that ALL bullet's are defected by brush.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
.338 Marlin Expressjfrench111/14/2008 16:06 pm
Anyone got a brown bear this fall?chuckscap010/20/2012 09:11 am
new brown bear regulationsgoldbelt205/07/2006 22:56 pm
Brown bear vs Black bearSwede107/20/2005 06:30 am
Brown Bear LoadGrizz2702/23/2006 23:30 pm