11 replies [Last post]
444 Marlin

With due respect to all:
Re: Zippy's research (apples vs oranges)as far as bullet weights are concerned.

90 grs difference!

I'm also concerned that the coefficients(Are you sure that one of the Soft Points isn't a Pointed Soft Point?) are different too due to the fact that most of the older.444 guns were lever actions and most lever action rounds tended to have a more rounder nose due to both jamups and prefires. Ask anyone who has had a Model 1894 pre 64" Win 30-30 RIFLE and shot the heck out of it.

I've seen Remington Core Lokts discussed on this site many times and one time during an Elk forum I know it was'nt the correct Core Lokt that was referenced.
I've shot Speer,Hornys,Silvertips and Core Lokts as handloads and factorys in the Winchesters and Remingtons when I could'nt obtain the loose bullets from my supplier when I still had the equipment to reload centerfire rounds. Alas, I only have 2 shotshell reloaders from the past. I borrow a CFire press from a friend when the time allows now to make some PET loads.

As Mr. Millon and Bitmasher usually do the ballistic commentary I'll let them continue but in closing re: choice of rifle, Most of us have started with one caliber, either as a hand me down or from a friend's input and we have either stayed or strayed through the years for a varietyof reasons.
I'll state what I FEEL should be your deciding factors in choosing your weapon(THOUGH OFTEN TIMES OVERLOOKED AS A GROUP. They are as follows:

1)YOUR NON BENCHREST marksmanship skills
2)YOUR HUNTING EXPERIENCE in GENERAL
3)YOUR hunting skills re: the SPECIFIC game
4)YOUR STALKING skills
5)YOUR physical condition or LIMITATIONS
6)TERRAIN: DISTANCE, brushy, mountainous
7)SIGHTS: open or scope
:cool:Quarry: Dangerous(Bear,Rutting Moose)or..
9)Bullet selection (reloads or factory)
10)Will be using this rifle on more that one type of game and in more than one type of terrain.

With all the modern knowhow that is available to the shooter now(i.e. porting, muzzle brakes and gel kickpads, some folks can shoot the larger flatter shooting magnum calibers and hardly notice a difference especially on the deer/elk size loads and even with some shorter barrels they can still "REACH OUT AND TOUCH SOMEONE")

Remember that as HUNTERS, WE have the RESPONSIBILTY to KILL our quarry in THE QUICKEST AND MOST HUMANE WAY POSSIBLE.

WE MUST KNOW that we can KILL our quarry BEFORE we pull the trigger. DON'T hope we can kill them, KNOW that we can. Know that we can place those bullets where we need to in whatever situation we get ourselves into.

BE SAFE AND HAVE A GREAT HUNT

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
.45-70 vs .450 marlinsh6gt75506/29/2004 14:57 pm
.338 Marlin Expressjfrench111/14/2008 16:06 pm
Family PhotoTndeerhunter504/18/2012 13:45 pm
Marlin Lever Action rifles, XLR series, the .450 Marline4c4ever612/09/2006 22:01 pm
Marlin 95 450 alaskan?chargerdive111/17/2006 11:46 am