11 replies [Last post]
444 Marlin

Does anyone have any experience hunting with the 444 Marlin...I came across one but don't know that much about it other than it's a big bore lever gun.

444 Marlin

I've never had one, but I've been getting interested in one as well. I compared ballistics on remington.com, and to me, with factory loads, it looks like a 30-30, 35rem, and a 444 have pretty much identical trajectory with the 30-30 shooting a 170gr, the 35 a 200gr, and the 444 a 240gr.
I suspect it could be a darn good 150 yd gun with some real knock down power and not too much recoil?

Hopefully someone who has one will enlighten us.

444 Marlin

Bruce is correct. They have simular trajectories and the .444 DOES have some really good knockum off their butts power. I love mine and would never give it up. Its my definate goto gun for hunting brush country for pretty much anything on 4 legs. There are some that will say that since it uses a "pistol bullet" that it souldnt be used for larger game. Well I reload and also use the New Hornady Leverloution rounds and BOTH have dropped everything I shot. From white tail to a Water Buffalo. So oh well. Guess that "pistol bullet" has some pretty good getum up!

Those are some nice hogs...where did you shoot them at? Are they victims of the .444? So did I hear correct...you shot a water bufallo with the 444?

BDH
.444 Marlin

A friend of mine brought one back from Alaska many years ago and that is the gun I fell in love with it as a young hunter. He had wintered as a caretaker for a fly in lodge. That big Marlin went everywhere with him, even to the outhouse. His campfire stories of marauding bears and wolves stalking him back to the cabin made me dream of my own adventures. He always told these stories with that old , woods scarred rifle leaning on his leg, the oiled barrel gleaming in the fire light. That rifle, along with well worn hunting boots and heavy wool plaid shirts more than anything else came to symbolize big game hunting for me.

Bobby, like me is old and gray now but we both still love our Marlin lever actions. We still hunt the tamarack and thick cedar swamps here in northern Wisconsin where a 100 yard shot is long range and your bullet better be able to break through branches on it's way to the target, we just don't do it as quickly as we used to. He still carries that trusty .444 and many, many huge whitetails have dropped like a stone when his bullet blasted through the thick brush right thru their boiler room. The best part is not having to track them after the shot. We don't have to use much ammo, in fact I don't ever remember him taking a second shot.

I own Marlin's best...an 1895G in 45-70, a .30-30 and of course a .444. All of these brush busters work great as long as you're not shooting across canyons out west. If you want one gun that can be loaded for anything on the planet...pick up a .45-70. The ammo is relatively easy to find for hunting in the lower 48 and very powerful magnum loads can be found at Buffalo Bore.com (cool stories and pics too) as well as the Garrett cartridge site. The .444 ammo can be a little harder to find but you can also get big magnum power at Buffalo Bore.

The best part about the big Marlins are the ability to take a quick second shot on dangerous stuff, their proven reliability and low cost. Thses truly are working guys rifles and yet can take anything you hunt with ease. Hopefully you'll pick up a Marlin and have your own adventures. For me it all started with that old .444...

Never bring a knife to a gun fight...

Tndeerhunter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
444 Marlin

Depending on what you're expecting to do with it, the .444 can be an excellent choice. Thumbs up Using the newish LE ammo, it will give you a 200+ yd MPBR(+/- 3" from muzzle to 200+yds) with it's pointed 265gr bullet. It has the power to effectively take CXP2 game to 300yds if you can deal with the additional 1.5 feet in drop over your initial 200yd MPBR. There's also a 265gr LM load and several other loads from 240gr-300+gr for use on game as big as you'll find in N.A.(at moderate ranges). My opinion is that the moderately priced LE ammo is the way to go for any CXP2 game (deer, bear, hogs).

The 45-70 has the ability to shoot bigger/heavier bullets for CXP3 game if that's on your list and the .450 has the least expensive heavy loads for non-handloaders to use on deer through moose/big bear. In moderately priced factory loads (no, I don't consider $3 and $4 a round moderate ) the .444 has the flattest trajectory of the three for deer and black bear and the .450 has the most powerful inexpensive factory loads (also a 200ydMPBR) and the 45-70 has the most diverse light to moderate to heavy loadings at decent prices.

I own all three and enjoy shooting them all. Just finished sight-in with the 45-70 today with a moderately heavy loading; 400gr @ 1700 FPS. An excellent short-range(to 150 yds or so) load for deer or bear. It leaves in 3 weeks for a bear hunt. Hammer

444 Marlin

I own a Marlin 444 had the original factory sights taken off and replaced them with some ghost ring sights and they work very well for me, as far as ammo goes depending on what you want to shoot the Hornady 265gr factory ammo is the ticket!

Tndeerhunter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
444 Marlin
ELK-AHOLIC wrote:
I own a Marlin 444 had the original factory sights taken off and replaced them with some ghost ring sights and they work very well for me, as far as ammo goes depending on what you want to shoot the Hornady 265gr factory ammo is the ticket!

My .444S wears a Lyman peep and what appears to be the standard (stock) front sight. It seems to work just fine like that. I was wondering if you had also replaced your front sight with a blade or something, along with your ghost ring rear. Thanks.

444 Marlin

I have 2 of them here in MS we can hunt with them during muzzle loader season as long as it is a break open with a hammer . I have been shooting the hornardy LE 270 gain sightinged in 3 inch high at 100yds and have killed whitetail out to 246 with it .over the last few years i have killed alot of good bucks with mine and love it.

444 Marlin

Yes I did replace the front sight, the XS ghost ring kit comes with front blade and rear peep for around $80, they are built like a tank and turn the 444s into a very fast handling brush gun. Here is a stock photo of the sight system and a picture of my Marlin that I have them mounted on.

PreviewAttachmentSize
marlin1.jpg
marlin1.jpg764.73 KB
ghost ring.jpg
ghost ring.jpg15.21 KB
444 Marlin

Great observations by all. BDH made several good ones and, yes, he is 100% right on the Marlin issue. I own a older .444 and a new 1895G. Marlin, in my opinion, builds the toughest and the best. The issue of changing out the sights from everything I have read and heard is a winning deal and the XS ghost ring sights are a major improvement over the factory ones. To compare the .444 to a 30-30 is most inaccurate. Yes, it has a curved trajectory, but it's trucking ot there at around 3,100 foot pounds of energy with normal off-the-shelf ammo. As BDH mentioned, check Garrett's or Buffalo Bore for stoked loads. Another good source is the book Cartridges of the World by Frank Barnes. The 450 Marlin is an excellent cartidge but finding ammo, components, etc., are not as easy or as cheap as the 45-70. The 45-70 has taken the "Big 6" in Africa and no telling how many deer, moose, etc. The Hornady LevrEvolutions are great and they shoot well. At the end of the day, I would not give up either my 444 or 45-70 (hey, that's about like asking which kid is your favorite!!). Happy hunting/shooting! Big smile

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
.45-70 vs .450 marlinsh6gt75506/29/2004 14:57 pm
.338 Marlin Expressjfrench111/14/2008 16:06 pm
Family PhotoTndeerhunter504/18/2012 13:45 pm
Marlin Lever Action rifles, XLR series, the .450 Marline4c4ever612/09/2006 22:01 pm
Marlin 95 450 alaskan?chargerdive111/17/2006 11:46 am