8 replies [Last post]
444 marlin

I just got a older 444 marlin, It has the micro grove barrel. What bullets do you guys think I should go with ? I want to use it for elk, and I hear these barrels don't shoot cast bullets too well. I also hear that anything over 300 gr won't shoot straight. I don't reload because I don't have the room in my apt. So what factory ammo should I use ? Is the Corbon rifle ammo good ? Any help would be great. Thanks !

444 marlin

i do not have a 444, but i do use a 45-70...
the corbon for this is very good...
also maybe winchesters partition gold

Re: 444 marlin
ELK-AHOLIC wrote:
I just got a older 444 marlin, It has the micro grove barrel. What bullets do you guys think I should go with ? I want to use it for elk, and I hear these barrels don't shoot cast bullets too well. I also hear that anything over 300 gr won't shoot straight. I don't reload because I don't have the room in my apt. So what factory ammo should I use ? Is the Corbon rifle ammo good ? Any help would be great. Thanks !

I hate to tell you how spend your money, but the only way to be sure is to buy a bunch of different loads and try them. Find out what the gun likes, and stick with it.
For whatever it's worth, I started reloading when I lived in an apartment, and was able to do very well. I bolted the press to a piece of plywood, and used "C" clamps to hold it down on my padded kitchen table. Worked for three years until I bought my house. Give it a try.
Good luck

444 marlin

HOwdy Elk... I have the 444 with a 24 inch micro groved barrel. Funny thing about this Marlin is, She'll eat about anything. As far as accuracy goes her best groupings were from my hand loads of course. But in the storebought stuff she really performed well with the plain jain Remington corelocts 200 and 240's both. Did well with the Hornady light mags and competed with my hand loads with the new Hornady leveloutions (or however ya spell them) Those new ones with the polymer tip. Never felt the need for the Big ones like 300 grain and such but Id imagine that microgrove would have a bit of a struggle with cast myself. Ive dropped several elk with her and never had a problem with the 240's . Hornady makes a 265gr FP interloc bullet which also performs VERY well on Elk and other biguns. Those leveloutions wont give you sticker shock either. They arent much more, if any, than any of the other makers.Hope this was of help.

444 marlin

My Marlin 45/70 didn't take too well with the Cor-bons. It did very well with the LeveRevolutions and the Federals.

444 marlin

What o you guys think of Conley Precision Ammo ? Should I use it ? They make 250 gr Nosler Partitions for $35 a box. Let me know what you guys think.

444 marlin

Me personaly, Im a Hornady fan. Have been for years. Thier Light Magnum 265 grain rounds are cheaper than that and the bullet is thier Interloc which provides outstanding results on everything Ive seen it hit so far. One thing about the Hornady ammo line too is that you can bet your bottom dollar that they are precision loaded with exact matches. Pretty much as close to match grade ammo as you can get for a straight wall production round. I recently started loading the 265's up for mine and she eats them well and puts them dead on where I aim every time. But were I in need of having to buy ammo Id go for the light mag rounds as they are the closest match to my reload's. They drop elk like a hammer on a toad. Never shot an Elk with the .444 over 100 yards, but every one of them has never took more than 20 yards to drop with her.

444 marlin

Think I might order two boxes of the light mags the price is right. Thank You!

444 marlin

Quite welcome. And if you start reloading just yell and Ill send you my best load workups that are for mine. But as always, lower by a grain or 2 and work up as your reciever may not be as strong as mine for some reason. Plus every rifle is different and likes different things to eat but I can definatly get you started in the right direction. DEFINATLY save all the brass from those light mags. They use top quality brass at Hornady and VERY reloadable

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
.45-70 vs .450 marlinsh6gt75506/29/2004 14:57 pm
.338 Marlin Expressjfrench111/14/2008 16:06 pm
Family PhotoTndeerhunter504/18/2012 13:45 pm
Marlin Lever Action rifles, XLR series, the .450 Marline4c4ever612/09/2006 22:01 pm
Marlin 95 450 alaskan?chargerdive111/17/2006 11:46 am