5 replies [Last post]
.444 in Guns & Ammo

There's an article about the .444 that I heard about. I havn't looked at it yet but I will.

groovy mike's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Marlin makes one

My brother recently bought a Marlin lever action in 444.  I have never fired it but the carbine looks exactly like the short barrelled version of the Marlin Guide Gun which I have in 45-70. 

I like my Marlin in every aspect except the cross bolt safety, so if 444 appeals to you, check out the Marlin.

expatriate's picture
I love my guide gun, too.  As

I love my guide gun, too.  As for the cross bolt safety...I'm not enthused, either.  I bought it for carrying in bear country and didn't want to take the chance of having to shoot quick and finding out I'd accidentally engaged the cross bolt.  I'll probably catch grief for saying it, but I found that you can stretch an O-ring over it and lock it into place in an nearly invisible manner without modifying the gun.  It's an easy way to keep it disengaged when you need to, but you can pop the O-ring off and re-enable it when you want it.  It's still just as safe as an older Model 94, if not more so.

groovy mike's picture
lol

expatriate wrote:

I love my guide gun, too.  As for the cross bolt safety...I'm not enthused, either.  I bought it for carrying in bear country and didn't want to take the chance of having to shoot quick and finding out I'd accidentally engaged the cross bolt.  I'll probably catch grief for saying it, but I found that you can stretch an O-ring over it and lock it into place in an nearly invisible manner without modifying the gun.  It's an easy way to keep it disengaged when you need to, but you can pop the O-ring off and re-enable it when you want it.  It's still just as safe as an older Model 94, if not more so.

You won't catch grief from me!  After I had a deer at literally 5 years get away because the dang safety was on from bumping it with my knee - I super glued that sucker in the OFF position! lol

Critter's picture
Years

groovy mike wrote:

You won't catch grief from me!  After I had a deer at literally 5 years get away because the dang safety was on from bumping it with my knee - I super glued that sucker in the OFF position! lol

Now were those "Light Years"  I'm suprised that you could see him that far away not to mention having a rifle that would shoot that far.  Applause

Tndeerhunter's picture

I think the .444 Marlin is the red-headed stepchild of the big bore lever guns. I can't say why, however...Confused . I own one along with another Marlin in 45-70 and a BLR in .450. I'd think the .444 to actually be a better all-around rifle for most anything, except big bears.

My rifle is a .444S and is a pre-safety model, YEAH!!! I like it and my Marlin .375 better than the 45-70 and .356 I own simply because there's no double safety. I can tell you from first hand experience that it's not a pleasant thing when there's a big wild boar at less that 10' trying to regain his feet and your rifle simply goes "click" when you drop the hammer. The worst thing is that you don't know at that moment if it's an empty chamber of that darned safety that caused the click.

In my case, I levered in another round, saw the live one on the ground and then knew it was the crossbolt safety. He never got to his feet before I put another round in him, but I sure was glad he didn't, I'll tell ya that much. Help!

My pick is for the BLR now because it's safety system is simpler and is simply a much nicer rifle, IMO.

HOLY SMOKES!! I just now looked at the original date on the original posting. Can you say old??...lol.Whistling

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Storing guns and ammo together????Ca_Vermonster701/22/2011 12:30 pm
Bulk Ammo?hostage67512/10/2006 22:20 pm
Ammunition Accountability Actprairiewolf101/07/2009 17:45 pm
Top 10 Reasons Men Prefer Guns Over Womencowgal1310/09/2013 02:03 am
problems with my browning BLR .308 jimbo6542202/03/2011 23:03 pm