Was wondering if anyone else is as irritated at this as I am.
Wyoming has what is called a Special Drawing. If you can afford to pay almost double (elk is over $800) they put you in a separate drawing in which they set aside 40% (doubled from last years 20%) of the total non-res tags. The special drawing takes place before the general drawing which gets the remaining 60%. In a nutshell, decreased odds for the less fortunate.
I am not sure, but I think Wyoming is the only Rocky Mountain state that pulls a percentage of their total non-res tags and allows those with a few more bucks to have at them.
I would bet that like most things, the middle class fund most of the hunting programs not only in Wyoming, but in the U.S. but we seem to be getting a lesser portion of the pie.
When states start catering to all hunters on an even basis, maybe we will see an increase in hunters which in turn will ensure the survival of our traditions. I can see how some hunters are getting fed up and finding other things to do in the fall.