4 Mistakes You Can't Afford to Make on Mule Deer (feature)
Writing and submitting the article took some courage. We've all been there - just haven't necessarily written about it.
Comments: to me it's amazing what wildlife abounds just out of sight of the road.
Until I can break into real high end optics, my less expensive stuff will do. I have actually thrown my low dollar favorite pair of binos away, but retrieved them out of the garbage can when other stuff I bought didn't work as well.
There is no substitute for getting and being in shape, at altitude.
SPOT AND STALKING IN OPEN TERRAIN WITH SHORT RANGE EQUIPMENT IS TOUGH - BEEN THERE DONE THAT - NOT CLAIMING TO BE AN EXPERT.
In my opinion no shame in taking a doe. Congrats on the doe.
1. Nothing you can do worse...to hinder your chances of taking a good mule deer than to hunt WITH TRACK SHOES ON!! The mule deer has better lungs than you, runs much faster, and knows his area way better than you do!
2. INVEST....in a HIGH DOLLAR PURCHASE of BETTER THAN GOOD binoculars! You're blind.....if you don't!
3. Get out of sight of any roadway, find a high observation point.....sit on your arse....and glass 90% of the time you're there!
4. Look WEST in the morning; EAST in the afternoon!
5. Let the other folks hunting in TRACK SHOES....move the game to you!
6. Mule deer like shade! Hunt the dark areas/shadows!
7. If you don't have PATIENCE.....stay home!
8. Know your territory as much as possible! Get topo maps and use TerraServer to view your hunt area!
9. Hunt solo; not in a gang!
10. If you don't have a chance to take game.....thank the Good Lord for giving you the opportunity to enjoy.....HIS WORLD!!
“You don’t need that” my loving wife stated flatly. Hovering near her, sporting goods catalog in hand, I tried to counter “But look Honey, it holds 2150 cubic inches of gear”, as I tried to give her my best loving look. “Nope, you do not need to carry more gear – you have several packs already… if one of them is not big enough, take two” she stated and then fell back to attacking her Sudoku puzzle. Sulking, I moved back to my side of the bed and continued thumbing through my...