4 Mistakes You Can't Afford to Make on Mule Deer (feature)
Writing and submitting the article took some courage. We've all been there - just haven't necessarily written about it.
Comments: to me it's amazing what wildlife abounds just out of sight of the road.
Until I can break into real high end optics, my less expensive stuff will do. I have actually thrown my low dollar favorite pair of binos away, but retrieved them out of the garbage can when other stuff I bought didn't work as well.
There is no substitute for getting and being in shape, at altitude.
SPOT AND STALKING IN OPEN TERRAIN WITH SHORT RANGE EQUIPMENT IS TOUGH - BEEN THERE DONE THAT - NOT CLAIMING TO BE AN EXPERT.
In my opinion no shame in taking a doe. Congrats on the doe.
1. Nothing you can do worse...to hinder your chances of taking a good mule deer than to hunt WITH TRACK SHOES ON!! The mule deer has better lungs than you, runs much faster, and knows his area way better than you do!
2. INVEST....in a HIGH DOLLAR PURCHASE of BETTER THAN GOOD binoculars! You're blind.....if you don't!
3. Get out of sight of any roadway, find a high observation point.....sit on your arse....and glass 90% of the time you're there!
4. Look WEST in the morning; EAST in the afternoon!
5. Let the other folks hunting in TRACK SHOES....move the game to you!
6. Mule deer like shade! Hunt the dark areas/shadows!
7. If you don't have PATIENCE.....stay home!
8. Know your territory as much as possible! Get topo maps and use TerraServer to view your hunt area!
9. Hunt solo; not in a gang!
10. If you don't have a chance to take game.....thank the Good Lord for giving you the opportunity to enjoy.....HIS WORLD!!
Being a bowhunting I've always been fanatical about scent control. Whether it's sprays, carbon clothing etc. I've tried it. The best thing that I have found for eliminating human scent is Betadine. It's been used in hospitals and homes for decades as a defense against infections on minor scrapes and burns. It can typically be found near the pharmacy in any of the major "one stop shop" stores, and a bottle will last multiple hunting seasons.
Before every hunt possible I...