3 replies [Last post]
3rd SeasonRifle Elk Hunt OTC in Unit 441/4 Ideas?

Newbie to this forum... didn't draw in my usual units this year for Elk (50, 500, 501) so have to go OTC. Taking my 13 y/o daughter out with me this 3rd rifle season(not hunting just tagging along)... Looking at possibly hitting unit 441 and/or unit 4. Anybody have advice on where would be a good place to start in these units? Scouting has been limited to maps ect...,  I've heard about Black Mountain and California Park and that the majority of bulls are taken between them but would like some more info. I dont own an ATV so regular foot access or SUV access is a must. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you all!

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
When you ask about specefic

When you ask about specefic units you are not going to get that much help unless someone here has hunted or is familiar with those uints. 

I am no help other than that. 

Good luck on your hunt.

Thanks Critter. i had seen

Thanks Critter. i had seen some info on here from a few years ago and was hoping for some updated info. I'll try looking up the guys from that post.... one was a moderator.. Exbiologist, any way to contact him? thanks again.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
You could try sending him a

You could try sending him a PM.  He got a new job a couple of years ago and it may affect what he can say or not as far as answering a question on a open forum. 

I looked at the search results and there is some good info in them for those units. 

Im new to the forum and actually the subject. My wife has heard me talk with my brother and friends long and often as she puts it, she decided that it's time to give me the experience.

she is for my christmas gift purchasing me my dream hunt an elk hunt in my choice of place and Im completely stuck at a crossroad. my first question is Ive hunted for 25 years in western pennsylvania for deer with my savage 110 .270 caliber. Im wondering if this enough bullet to drop a 1500 - 2000 lb animal? next, my dream was always to hunt the big sky country of Montana, Wyoming or maybe Idaho. Ive heard great things of all 3 and also even more of Colorado and New Mexico so I guess my question is do you have any opinion of any of the 1st 3 picks because Im sure youre partial to Colorado your home.

any and all opinions are greatly appreciated

Jack from Pittsburgh

Elk Hunt tips

Im new to the forum and actually the subject. My wife has heard me talk with my brother and friends long and often as she puts it, she decided that it's time to give me the experience.

she is for my christmas gift purchasing me my dream hunt an elk hunt in my choice of place and Im completely stuck at a crossroad. my first question is Ive hunted for 25 years in western pennsylvania for deer with my savage 110 .270 caliber. Im wondering if this enough bullet to drop a 1500 - 2000 lb animal? next, my dream was always to hunt the big sky country of Montana, Wyoming or maybe Idaho. Ive heard great things of all 3 and also even more of Colorado and New Mexico so I guess my question is do you have any opinion of any of the 1st 3 picks because Im sure youre partial to Colorado your home.

any and all opinions are greatly appreciated

Jack from Pittsburgh

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Wyoming official leftover listexbiologist006/30/2010 11:05 am
Colorado leftover license listsexbiologist607/09/2011 11:26 am
Colorado Hold 'emexbiologist1807/13/2010 18:29 pm
My 2010 Elk Camp - "The Complete Story"HeavyC1012/23/2010 10:41 am
Colorado Point Creepexbiologist3006/24/2012 14:12 pm