22 replies [Last post]
not a bad little gun not a glock but not bad

I have a PPK and a high point. The high point sure kicks less. I can't tell the dif in accuracy. Probably me. Having a little 380 is certainly nicer than a big glock/1911/HnK/ python back in the truck. This is where the high point's nitch is. Easy to carry. There are many products out there at affordable prices which work fine. If you have to walk the beat carry a badge everyone would want a glock/HnK/1911etc and happy to pay the large amount. Not many people will throw a 900$ pistol into a tackle box or a tool box in a tractor, but a high point sure. Again easy access.
As far as a throw away gun good point. I shot a pit bull trying to bite/attack 2 girls. I went to the car came back and shot it. Policeman even thanked me. Kimber is gone and I am unsure when it will be back. There were no laws broken by me and no charges against me. One more thing to ponder in this free society. Think

not a bad little gun not a glock but not bad

I have a PPK and a high point. The high point sure kicks less. I can't tell the dif in accuracy. Probably me. Having a little 380 is certainly nicer than a big glock/1911/HnK/ python back in the truck. This is where the high point's nitch is. Easy to carry. There are many products out there at affordable prices which work fine. If you have to walk the beat carry a badge everyone would want a glock/HnK/1911etc and happy to pay the large amount. Not many people will throw a 900$ pistol into a tackle box or a tool box in a tractor, but a high point sure. Again easy access.
As far as a throw away gun good point. I shot a pit bull trying to bite/attack 2 girls. I went to the car came back and shot it. Policeman even thanked me. Kimber is gone and I am unsure when it will be back. There were no laws broken by me and no charges against me. One more thing to ponder in this free society. Think

bitmasher's picture
Re: not a bad little gun not a glock but not bad
RRIES wrote:
As far as a throw away gun good point.

Precisely. People should consider this when purchasing a defensive gun although it is rarely brought up.

High points are not beautiful; however in my experience they get an a+ for reliability. They used to be called Haskel and I think they should be commended for delivering an economical reliable defensive handgun. Sure the second amendment is great, but if people who really need it (think grandma in the ghetto) can't afford a glock/kimber/kahr/s&w/blah...blah what good is the second amendment????

Kel Tec is another manufacture to consider.

Doubt I'd want a high point for a carry gun though just because of size and weight.

In the same price range is a used S&W J Frame, histories favorite for concealed handguns....

380 ACP

Bitmaster:

Well said!

expatriate's picture
380 ACP

Haskel...wouldn't be Eddie Haskel, would it, Bit? I knew there was something fishy about that guy.

Oddly enough Ken Osmond, the guy that played Eddie on "Leave it to Beaver" joined the LAPD, served on the vice squad, was wounded three times in the line of duty, and retired with a medical pension.

I don't know if that counts as tesimony for Haskels or not, but I like to think that if there had ever been an episode where Eddie carried a gun when he was looking for Beaver, he would've selected a High Point.

bitmasher's picture
380 ACP

Actually if Eddie had packed it would have been called a "Low Point". HA HA Ha ha HA huh ... huh...

I was thinking of Haskell. Two LL's can make all the difference.

380 ACP

picked up a .380 High point, first time I shot it, it jammed, if I load more than three rounds in the mag, it jams. the gun also has a rattle to it.

I just bought a 380 and shot it many times..and just went and shot 200 rounds threw it and not 1 problem love it..................Pic is 35 rounds very accurate

PreviewAttachmentSize
mms_picture.jpg
mms_picture.jpg271.36 KB
WesternHunter's picture
.380 ACP

Don't know about the Hi Point but the .380 ACP is a good carry caliber for a conceal carry pistol.  Most pistols chambered in .380 are small and concealable.  I'd even feel confident keeping the caliber for home defense if I still had a pistol chambered in that round.  I would not go lower than that for protection.  I've thinned my collection of handguns over the years to now have only handguns chambered in 9x19mm and .45 ACP. 

You have to keep in mind that most semi-auto carry pistols or service pistols and the cartridges they fire are pretty annemic anyway when compared to higher powered rifles and shotguns.  Pistols come in handy for close-in personal protection or use inside close quarters like any room in your house. 

jaybe's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Good Info

I have wondered about the .380 as a carry weapon. Kinda wondered if it was too small.

I guess it depends on who you might be trying to stop and how much and what kind of drugs he or she is on at the time. Huh?

I live very near Flint, MI, which has one of the highest crime rates in the country per capita. The good thing about it is that I live in a semi-rural setting outside of town where there are lots of yard lights and dogs to discourage the boys from the city from visiting us at night.

The other good thing is that I rarely, if ever, find a real need to go into the city after dark - the exception being a run to the hospital emergency room if one of my congregation is there.

Everyone must pass through a metal detector in the ER department, so I couldn't carry there anyway.

For now, I'm just in the investigative phase of my consideration to get a CPL.

Thanks for the good info on the .380.