22 replies [Last post]
380 ACP

JUST BOUGHT A NEW HI POINT .380 ACP. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INPUT ON GUN OR CALIBER

380 ACP

Not to burt your bubble or to hurt your feelings but I wouldn't stake my life on a high point. They are cheap and commonly known as "drive by" guns in my line of work. If yours is is reliable concider yourself lucky. The 380 is ok tho. You can sure do better. Best of luck.,

380 ACP

FYI:

While High Point may not be a top-of-the-line firearm, their customer service is outstanding and reports from those who own their products are favorable on the side of reliability.

I have never owned a High Point but know many who do and they say it's hard to beat their lifetime warranty.

As for any self defense weapon, ensuring it functions reliably with your prefered ammo is paramount. Reports on various forums across the country state that High Points feed all types of ammo.

If you can afford a higher quality firearm, I suggest you consider other brands, but if $125 is all you've got, then go ahead with your purchase.

380 ACP

P.S.:

The 380 doesn't penetrate very well for self defense and I strongly suggest you consider FMJ ammo. Recoil in High Points is minimal and a 9mm would be very easy to handle with quick followup shots.

Good luck with your pistol and let us know how it shoots.

380 ACP

My brother has a .45 acp in hi point and it jams occasionally, but I always related the jamming to the large caliber bullet. He had a .380 like i have and it never jammed thats why I purchased mine. I have shot about two magazines from my gun with no jamming. The day it jams on me is the day I replace it.

380 ACP

Take it out and shoot a few boxes thru it. get it nice and warm and see if it breaks in. Cor-bon makes a very good defensive round for the 380. Again, not trying to be mean or nasty.

380 ACP

I may have to look into getting some corbon ammo. I looked at there web site and I like there products.

I shot a whole box of bullets this past weekend and the baby didnt jam. I was very pleased. And I was shooting pretty rapidly.

expatriate's picture
380 ACP

I've seen High Points, but have never fired one or examined it closely. IMO a handgun is an insurance policy, and personally I'd rather not stake my life on the cheapest thing I can buy. Dead owners don't file warranty claims.

Nevertheless, I've been tempted to buy one because you can't argue with the price. But when the rubber meets the road, I'll carry my Glock.

380 ACP

expatriate you said a mouth full, I want a glock so bad. M ybrother is not a glock fan but I most certainly am. I want me one of those real small palm size glocks in ,40cal. My next handgun will be one. I bought my Hi point from a gun show here in my home state and i was not going to let the offer pass me by. Besides I didnt have a handgun any way. The only hand gun I had was a 44mag with a 6 1/2 in barrel that I gave to my father.

expatriate's picture
380 ACP

AlphaMan:
I definitely love my Glock. I've got a Glock 27 that I use as my primary concealed carry weapon and it's great. It's a nice tight little package that points instinctively, doesn't snag, and is a joy to shoot. It's never jammed on me, either.

If you do get something small like the 26 or 27, I recommend a finger extension floorplate for at least one magazine. The compact models don't have a place to put your pinky, and the extension does wonders for your grip without adding much bulk. It's easily changed out for a flat magazine if you need maximum concealability, though.

Back on topic, I gave my wife a Taurus .380 a few years ago. It's a great little gun, and a .380 is a very controllable round to shoot. It's basically a 9mm short; some might claim its anemic, but I'd argue that a shooter that's recoil shy could do more damage with a .380 than a .40 or .45.

380 ACP

I agree that the Baby Glocks need the extended magazine for the little pinky finger for better control and comfort.

Also, concerning the more expensive Corbon ammo, they use fast burning powders that produce more recoil and muzzle flash than most ammo out there. I.E. 9mm is very snappy and recoils like a 40 S&W or 185-gr. 45 ACP and etc...

Corbon is a hoot to shoot, but the louder bark and snappy recoil you feel is deceptive and NOT reflected in improved performance downrange.

Most of their bullets are light for caliber and made by Sierra - meaning the lightweight bullets expand very quickly and typically only have 60% to 70% of the penetration of their competitors.

Since controllability (from slower / medium burning powders), shot placement, and penetration are the highest priorities, I suggest other brands besides Corbon for self defense.