8 replies [Last post]
375 Ruger

I am going to South Africa for my 2nd trip this July. I will be hunting plains game again with my primary goal being Eland and Zebra. I have been shooting the new 375 Ruger African for several months now and feel very comfortable with it. Im using 270 Barnes TSX bullets in front of 72gr of Varget powder. Does anyone on the forum have any experience with this caliber? My 2nd rifle will be a 338 Win Mag. for most of the other species. Both scopes are Leopold VariX 111 1.75 x 6 with the heavy duplex.

375 Ruger

i have not used a .375 ruger, but have shot eland, zebra, impala, gazelle, oryx, hartebeest, and buffalo with a .375 H&H, using 270 grain or 300 grain bullets. good shot placement is a big help. i used factory federal loads and had no problems. good hunting.

375 Ruger

I think the reason I like this caliber is the fit and feel of the Hawkeye rifle. I have other 375 HH's but I just like the way this rifle feels. Almost like an economy custom rifle. Brass is just now becoming available and the loading data is in the new editions so I think it will catch on.

375 Ruger

I bought one (375Ruger) not long after they hit the market. IMHO it is a fine caliber/cartridge and though not my first choice as a DG round surely it will suffice even on elephants if needed. For PG IMHO it is more than what is needed for even the largest eland.I've killed a few of them with 30-06 and one with a 270
I own one Mauser action 375H&H, that was my late father's. I own and find the 338WM more than adequate for my hunting needs on all PG with 225 gr handloads.
Why did I buy the 375 Ruger? It was one of those..."I just got to get myself one of them visits to the gun shop" and again IMHO the African is a fine looking rifle that can be packed as a backup gun to my 458WM on my next buffalo trip.
Will it catch on? Surely factory ammo and brass will be around for a long time to come. It entered the scene too late as the American market for DG rifles is drying up as the US$ shrinks in value and fewer clients travel to any part of Africa to hunt DG. Yes the safari industry is still strong based on the Euros being spent but nearly every operator will tell you the American "NEW" client market is not what it was 5,7,or 10 years ago.

375 Ruger

I'll be fine for what you're using it for. - The only problem you might encounter is if your ammo gets lost on the way over. - Whilst a few gun shops here will carry that calibre ammo, most will not.

It might be an idea to contact your oufitter and ask him if his local shops keep any on the shelf.

375 Ruger

Thats not a bad Idea. I may also spread the ammo out in our luggage so I will at least have one box arrive.

375 Ruger

Rob

If you don't have any luck, and if you want me to, just let me know which part of SA you're hunting, and I'll try to source some and see if it's possible to get it sent to the nearest gunshop to your hunting area..............

buffybr's picture
375 Ruger

Rob,
Your .375 Ruger with 270 gr TSX bullets should work great, especially for the larger animals like Eland and Zebra.

Last September, I took my .375 Ultra Mag (a .375 Ruger on steroids!) to the Eastern Cape for 13 animals from Steenbok to Eland. I also used the 270 gr Barnes Tsx bullets. At 3043 fps and 5553 fp of muzzle energy my handloads worked great for the larger antelope like Eland, Gemsbok, and Kudu, but they were more than a little much for the smaller antelope like Springbok and Steenbok.

375 ruger

Shakira;

Thanks for the offer. I will think on that some. I will be in the northern Limpopo area for about 14 days. I am involved in IDPA shooting and will be teaching a class to a group of local competitors while there so surely someone would know the location of a gunshop in Jo'berg or somewhere close by.

My rifle will be back from the gunsmith in a week or so and I can get down to serious practice. Tim Carrick of NC is doing some basic work to it. Bedding, a Decelerator pad and trigger job. He is a great gunsmith if anyone is needing work
done.

Today its off to the Cabelas store in Wheeling, WV. Its tough when its only 1 hr away!

Rob

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Ruger .204 and the Ruger No. 1therookie209/10/2004 18:25 pm
A couple of RugersTndeerhunter2410/21/2011 11:59 am
Ruger .44 Mag Carbineblackbear601/29/2008 21:36 pm
375 Rugercsumerall602/13/2008 19:43 pm
454 Casul, Ruger 480 or 44 mag?summerman003/22/2005 06:00 am