11 replies [Last post]
.375 H&H ?

Anyone with any experince with this caliber. I am looking at a Browning A-bolt, any pros or cons for this gun? What other makers for this caliber has anyone experienced? Thanks

.375 H&H ?

The 375 H& H(Holland & Holland for those that are wondering) is one step up from the 338 mag; about 6% more energy than the 338 mag acording to the charts. The recoil is described in my most recent metallic reloader manuel as " horrendous"
Most popular bullet wieght is 275 grains.
If I was chooseing a calibre of this magnitude I would be inclined to get the 338 win mag, as the 375 H&H is slowing working its way out of the mainstream of heavy calibres.
Where are you going hunting and for what species?

.375 H&H ?

I am looking for a good one gun safari rifle. I will be hunting mostly large plains game, eland, girraffe, kudu, with the hope to run into a large buffalo.

.375 H&H ?

Well I just had to do a "google search" on Cape Buffalo hunting aand found:
Cape Buffalo are considered to be the meanest of the mean.
The 375 H & H is the perferred calibre.
The 338 win mag was never even mentioned in the aricles I read.

Coclusion: You might need that extra 6 % of energy I eluded to in the first post

Don Fischer's picture
.375 H&H ?

I think that for some Africa game, 375 is the min cal you can use. I also recall reading some years ago an outdoor writter that used the 338 a Buffalo. One of those deals where he wouldn't recommend YOU do it but he's certainly qualified!

I'll never hunt Africa but if I could, the cheapest part of the hunt would be the rifles and I might be inclineed to take two. Your not talking about anything much larger than about an elk. So if 375 was min required for buffalo, I'ed take that and probally a 30-06 or even a 7x57. Let's face it, you might only shoot one buffalo. Why beat yourself up with recoil to shoot all the others you spoke of?

One of the things I find unusual is that people that live where dangerious game is have a tendicity to have some need for even more gun than necessary. Speaking of Africa, it makes you wonder how the natives survived a million years in a grass hut with only a spear!

Re: .375 H&H ?
RAKMAN wrote:
Anyone with any experince with this caliber. I am looking at a Browning A-bolt, any pros or cons for this gun? What other makers for this caliber has anyone experienced? Thanks

I used a 375 H&H Model 70 on my first two safaris to Africa. After shooting a hippo with multiple shots, I had it rebarreled to a 416 Remington before going back to Zimbabwe last May. With the 416 I shot a cape buffalo. It seemed to hit a lot harder than the 375. I took a 338 Model 70 as my light rifle on that trip.

What do you plan to use a 375 for? If it's dangerous game, I'd rather have a controlled feed than a push feed like an A-Bolt.

As far as recoil is concerned, the Browning A-bolt stock isn't "user friendly". I have a 7mm Remington Mag A bolt and to my perception, kicks harder than any other rifle I own.

The recoil of a 375 is more of a "push" than a "kick". I've heard it explained that a lot of it has to do with the rocket effect that magnums have and the soft sloping shoulder of the 375. My 375 seemed to kick a lot less than my 338 when shooting 300 grain bullets vs 250s in the 375. I reloaded and shot 270 grain 375s for practice, but never used them on live game.

Once you get above 400 (i.e. 416, 458 Lott) is where real recoil begins. The first few times I shot my 416 after having it rebarreled, I thought I made a mistake as it was a BIG jump up in recoil. But...after shooting about 400 rounds through it getting ready for Africa, it's just another rifle now. I did shoot the first 200 or so with reduced loads.

Good luck with your decision. If necessary, I'd tackle any animal with a 375, although there are better choices for large game. I never lost an animal shot with a 375, and only the hippo and an an eland (2000+) pound antelope ever took a second shot.

Jeff

375 HH

rakman,
My last 375 HH was a sako and I liked it a lot as I shot well with it. I had a weatherby deluxe made in Germany in .300 and it kicked more. The 375 was more of a push and the 300 was more of a slam. I'm planing on getting another .375 HH but I'd like to get a Dakota if and when I can afford it. Can't say much about the A bolt as I've never owned one but all I've read is good so far.

375 HnH good choice

Holand and Holand designed the 375HnH for just that flat enough to shoot plains game and with the ability to take on Africa style big game. The idea was for an English officer to have one rifle. In the early fifties late 40s was when the min calibre was set for Africa. This was during the hayday of USA hunters going across the lake with high speed 7mm and 30 cal and others. African governments got tiered of sending people back in body bags. The 375 has had a very good reputation. There was a time when the 375 had a bunch of bad bullets, but it survived.
I own a Mauser 3000 375HnH and love it. I am a lefty and it is my only left handed bolt. 7lbs so I use it alot. I load it very light to even take deer with it ,,just to shoot it, it is also a wonderful elk cartridge. Not as much meat jelly as my 270. I believe it kicks like a light weight 12gauge with heavy loads. The 375 is the 30-06 of the world. I have never been to Africa (still saving money) but I have found ammo for it in Panama, South America and New Zealand it is def a popular round after 100 years.
As far as the A-bolt I would shoot one I got to shoot a 30-06 and I did not like it at all. I am 5'9" and it did not agree with me. It shot very well though.
As far as Hippos bigger is allways better maybe the 416 should be the min. We used to have an African guide come to our farm/ranch in MT and he was allways happy when a hunter who showed up with a 30-06 or a 375.
I have a question for those who are a little smarter than me. He had said that more people are killed by hippos than any other animal in Africa. Is this true? If so score one for the fat guy.

.375 H&H ?

I just purchased an XCR .375 ultramag. I have been out of state and have not had a chance to shoot it.

bitmasher's picture
.375 H&H ?

While I don't have any experience with african game, 375 H&H seems to be the entry level cartridge. Think heavy bullets (300 grains+), moderate velocities (2500 fps @ muzzle), fairly flat between 0-75 yards, and big time expansion. Personally I wouldn't even bother with a traditional scope. Iron sights and scout scopes (quick pointing) seem to be the rule.

You might also consider 450 Marlin, something in the 416 family, or the 458 family.

Weatherby also offers various big bore cartridges, but they tend to be pretty speedy. The upside is you can get a weatherby DGR with a factory brake to tame the recoil.

The reason you want moderate speed is because of inside 100 yard shot distance. These big heavy cartridges expand enough to deliver good knock down at short ranges. The smaller bore, speedier cartridges just go whizzing right through. A 7mm or 300 something might be ok if all shots were in the 150-200 yard range, but as I understand it that is not typical for africa hunting.

375 HnH good choice

A 300 grain 375 bullet has an average B.C. of .5 some are up to .555 this is a flat shooting heavy bullet at 2500fps. A 450 Marlin is not a good choice. 350 grain Hornady has a B.C. of .232 at a speed around 2000fps you are certainly not going to keep any speed, limiting your shots to short distances. Because of velocity and also poor Sectional Density very little penetration is to be expected. Accuracy first(aka me) penetration 2nd (have to reach the vitals) then exspansion. This is why 375 solids have stayed so popular in fact all solids. But for a big game defensive round I like those big wide bullets, 450 Marlin wold be fine, it is why I have a 450 Alaskan. Steping up to the 416 or even the awesome 458 Win Mag you gain alot for the big animals (it is an elephants gun) including recoil but you don't gain anything as far as shooting out at plains animals. 458WM has close to the same velocity but B.C. is a little less or the same kinda like spliting hairs. dead deader or the 458 most deadest gemsbok I ever saw.
1950's bullets were junk compared to todays bullets this is one of the reasons fast small calibres did so poorly. Moderate velocities mean you can shoot dif bullet weights and have them hit close to the same hole it is what HnH had in mind. Also you are not replacing barrels like my Wthbys. Holland and Holland put alot of thought into this round and now with todays controlled exspansion bullets it shines even better.
I have many friends that come back from hunting in Africa and they all talk about shots from 60yrds out to 300yrds Ethiopia to S Africa they all say it is allways different, the rifle should be able to do this too, guess thats why everyone wants to hunt Africa.
As far as a hippo hunt give me them all or maybe that double barrel bolt action 458WM.