7 replies [Last post]
Topgun 30-06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
369" Wyoming Bull

My avatar is me with the monster bull my buddy shot while I was helping him this year on the west slope of the Big Horn Mountains in Wyoming.  It took us 4 trips over two days to pack him out 1 1/2 miles on our backs to the truck.

PreviewAttachmentSize
2010 Trip 087.JPG
2010 Trip 087.JPG87.05 KB
GooseHunter Jr's picture
Wow that truly is a monster

Wow that truly is a monster bull.  Congrats to your buddy and you for a job well done!

Great bull! Congrats to you

Great bull! Congrats to you and your friend. Welcome to BGH. Thumbs up

elkkill06's picture
What a "TOAD"

Congrats on a super bull !! Must have been a tough spot you guys took him in to take that long to get him back to the truck. Would definately love to see the mount when it is done.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
That is an absolutely

That is an absolutely gorgeous bull!

And I love how dark his antlers are.  Alot of guys talk about the bulls, or deer for that matter, with the ivory colored tips on their racks, and how attractive they are. 

But, honestly, give me dark, chocolate colored horns any day over those.  Just love the look they give off.

But 2 days to pack out?  Man, that's some humpin.  1 1/2 miles doesn't seem to far, but was it rough terrain, and was it just 2 of you doing the work?

Congrats!  Great bull!

Topgun 30-06's picture
369" Bull

He was probably the prettiest colored rack of anything we have ever seen in that unit where we hunt because most have fairly white racks.  His rack was very dark with ivory color out on the ends and will make a beautiful mount.  John is 50, an engineer for Marathon Oil Company, and is a big guy who can carry a load.  However, I'm 63, only weigh about 160# and have had a ruptured disc in my lower back since 1986, so I can't carry much more than 50# at a time.  It was nasty that morning and fogged us in and started raining right after he shot the bull and it was absolutely miserable the rest of the day.  We had to go all the way back to the truck to exchange our regular packs for our meat pack frames after getting the bull caped and quartered.  By the time we got back to him it was into the early afternoon and most of the terrain after you go out of that meadow the bull was in is uphill and rocky, so the footing wasn't great to be hauling heavy loads.  John took the entire head/cape out in one load because we didn't want to risk trying to cape it completely out and left that to the taxidermist in Cody.  I carried out the backstraps and tenderloins that trip.  The next trip John took a hindquarter and I took a lot of the burger-type meat.  That was it as it was dark by the time we got back to the truck.  We got back there shortly after daylight the next morning and I boned out the front quarter meat and took it and the rest of the burger meat while John took the other hind quarter out.  1 1/2 miles doesn't seem that far until you start doing meat hauling, but at my age I think it might have been one of the best accomplishments I have had in the outdoors and I started hunting with my Dad in 1953 at 6 years old.  The only thing close to this was helping with the Shiras moose John shot in Idaho in 2007, but that was only downhill about 1/4 mile to where we loaded the meat onto a cart where quads were legal.  John is having this bull done on some type of a pedestal mount that can be moved around and it should be pretty neat.  I shot a 6 point whitetail last month while I was up at my place in northern Michigan and packed him out just like that we did that bull elk and it was a piece of cake after the elk loads!

hawkeye270's picture
Wow... now that is a heck of

Wow... now that is a heck of a bull. I am still dreaming of nailing any bull with over three hundred inches of antler. I can not imagine getting one that taped to almost 370 inches! I am still waiting for that bull to stand up and buck you off his back. Sorry but it is just kind of a funny looking scene. Congratulations to your buddy for getting that big boy.

I have to agree with you guys that dark antlers are the cream of the crop. I love ivory tips on dark chocalote antlers and that bull certainly has them. He has a very dark forehead to... adding to his uniqueness. And a pedestal mount... that is going to look great. Pedestal mounts are insanely expensive but they look amazing. Most people think that pedestal mounts are only for African game animals but I do not agree. I think they look amazing with all north american game animals as well.

Topgun 30-06's picture
I'm a fairly small guy by

I'm a fairly small guy by today's standards (5'9" & 160#) and we wanted a good picture of the entire animal along with his rack to show his spread.   That's the only way I could hold his head up to get the picture we wanted of the rack and entire animal.  A guy on another BB made a similar remark as you did, LOL!!!  Actually, he also added that he thought it was rather tacky, but I asked him if he had ever wrestled with one of those big rascals and he didn't respond!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like