1 reply [Last post]
358 Winchester

Hi Guys,

and again.....great forum. Thumbs up Takes me everytime a whole evening,

just to look through the topics. Now You know, why my wife hates You !!!!!

Anyhow, by reading the various Reloaderbooks from US, I came up on a cartidge,

which we do not know very well around here in Europe: The 358 Winchester !

Do You guys do have experience with this really (at least on paper)  goodlooking

cartridge ??

Please give me some reports and how does it work with the different types of

bullets especially on hog ???

Best regards from Germany

Roland

Tndeerhunter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
.358 Win

wannabee wrote:

Hi Guys,

and again.....great forum. Thumbs up Takes me everytime a whole evening,

just to look through the topics. Now You know, why my wife hates You !!!!!

Anyhow, by reading the various Reloaderbooks from US, I came up on a cartidge,

which we do not know very well around here in Europe: The 358 Winchester !

Do You guys do have experience with this really (at least on paper)  goodlooking

cartridge ??

Please give me some reports and how does it work with the different types of

bullets especially on hog ???

Best regards from Germany

Roland

Hi Roland,  I spent 6 yrs in Germany between '81 and '92 in Ansbach and then Stuttgart. I enjoyed my time there! I own two .358s, a BLR I've had for over 20yrs and a Ruger M77 Hawkeye I've had for about two years. I think the .358 is a great cartridge and a much "better" one than most think (who have not used it). The lone Winchester factory loading is not nearly as powerful as the cartridge is capable of being with a 200gr bullet and many like 225gr bullets in their .358s.

My BLR normally shoots the 200gr factory loading, but my M77 is currently sighted in with a 250gr Grand Slam load. I actually did collect a wild hog with that load in January, but a smallish one at around 150 lbs (~72 KG) Dropped the hog in it's tracks at a measured 125 yds (120 M). With proper loads (available here) the .358 can match the great .35 Whelen's 200gr Remington factory load rated at 2675 FPS (810 MPS). This is a powerful load capable of taking most any big game you'd be looking at, especially large boars of 200 KG or more.

I am a huge fan of medium calibers and own several, along with the .358s; .338 Fed, .356 Win, .35 Whelen, .350 RM & .375 Win. If you are looking at bolt rifles, perhaps the .338 Fed might be a better(?) choice. There are several loads available and with new powders now in use, they get full potential from the .338 Fed, which gives 2650 FPS with 200gr loads. There is also a 185 gr TSX load (2750 FPS) which would be a tad flatter shooting. If you handload, it's a toss-up, but if you will depend on factory loadings, the .338F or .35 Whelen might  be two more to look at.

They are all excellent cartridges and for me they get used for any situation I'd use a 30/06, 8x57 or .308 for, plus the times when added power is wanted (like big hogs!). I doubt you'd be disappointed with the performance of any of these three cartridges if you get one. Best of luck in looking and then buying!

I've attached a picture of my largest hog to date and another of the big hog my Buddy got this past January on our hunt:

PreviewAttachmentSize
Big Georgia Boar.jpg
Big Georgia Boar.jpg112.25 KB
Don's big ole Boar.jpg
Don's big ole Boar.jpg65 KB

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
winchester Mod 70kshnter106/11/2005 18:20 pm
Any one tried the winchester supreme ammo?rambo701/23/2006 15:23 pm
Winchester 1200 12 gaugewanapasaki301/11/2009 22:08 pm
Winchestercodfish312/01/2006 12:04 pm
Model '94 "Blowback"?blackbear408/18/2007 05:11 am