23 replies [Last post]
Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
If I reloaded myself, I'd be

If I reloaded myself, I'd be all over that.......

Critter's picture
A couple of months ago I was

A couple of months ago I was getting ready to take my .348 out and put some shells through it and then I decided against shooting my old factory loads that I have. I then decided to reload a hundred rounds but I couldn't find any powder to put in them. I have bullets, primers, and cases, shell holder and dies, just no powder for that round. So I put the old 71 back into the safe and took out another rifle.

Boy I'll be glad when there is powder back on the shelf again without having to pay a hazarded shipping fee.

Don Fischer's picture
I've never even seen a 348

I've never even seen a 348 cartridge, loaded or MTY! But if you want any part's at all. check Numrich Arms. Unbleveable the parts they come up with.

As for case's, no idea where to get them but you can make them last a whole lot longer by going to cast bullet's. Lyman makes a 204gr bullet to use with gas checks. RCBS a 200gr flatnose used with gas checks. Saeco makes a 245gr flat nose you use with gas checks.

I have Lyman 41st edition handbook and it appears that with IMR 4064 with the 200gr bullet you could get up to 2300 fps and the 245gr (250gr in this book) up to 2270 fpd.

May not be a powerhouse but cases from case loading last a lot longer than from loading jacketed bullet's.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
They are very hard to find. 

They are very hard to find.  Only 1 or 2 places making them anymore.  Just so you can actually "see" one, here is one next to a standard 30-30 load.  The .348 round on the left is a Winchester Silvertip..........

Don Fischer's picture
Boy that is a big fat sucker

Boy that is a big fat sucker isn't it! I've known a few guy's that have had one and they really liked it.

Critter's picture
I think that the only two

I think that the only two companies that are manufacturing .348 ammo is Winchester who does a seasonal run of the ammo and Buffalo Bore which loads a 250 grain bullet in them for only $90.00 a box. The Winchester rounds are not really far behind at around $60.00 if you can find them.

I knick myself in the rear for not buying all the empty brass for this round that I could years ago.

Don Fischer's picture
I wonder

Critter wrote:
I think that the only two companies that are manufacturing .348 ammo is Winchester who does a seasonal run of the ammo and Buffalo Bore which loads a 250 grain bullet in them for only $90.00 a box. The Winchester rounds are not really far behind at around $60.00 if you can find them. I knick myself in the rear for not buying all the empty brass for this round that I could years ago.

I wonder how many of the guy's buying the stuff, don't handload? I couldn't imagine paying $60 a box, much less $90, just to do a little target practice.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Well, you learn quickly to

Well, you learn quickly to just not do much target practice....lol When I shot it before going out hunting in Vermont last fall, I shot 2 rounds, and said "looks good".....

Critter's picture
It is sad to say but it is

It is sad to say but it is starting to look like the old .348 is a dying round. It came out to replace the .45-70 and the old 1886 Winchester, it did quite a job in doing it but the Winchester 71 was the only rifle ever chamber in it which I personally believe was its downfall. When Browning retooled up for a short run of the Browning 71 it came back to life for a while but it looks like it is on the downward trend again.

I do know one thing and that is that if I find a supply of brass for it at a decent price they won't last long

Tndeerhunter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Brass & Bullets

Critter wrote:
It is sad to say but it is starting to look like the old .348 is a dying round. It came out to replace the .45-70 and the old 1886 Winchester, it did quite a job in doing it but the Winchester 71 was the only rifle ever chamber in it which I personally believe was its downfall. When Browning retooled up for a short run of the Browning 71 it came back to life for a while but it looks like it is on the downward trend again.

I do know one thing and that is that if I find a supply of brass for it at a decent price they won't last long

Critter,
If you are still interested, I know where some very good priced brass can be had and also some 250gr .348 bullets. Drop me a line here or on email and I'll hook you up with the place. Sorry, but I no longer EVER post this information online directly as I have found "hoarders" are liable to see it and clean the places out. I am NOT a fan of "hoarders"!!

Ed

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
winchester Mod 70kshnter106/11/2005 18:20 pm
Any one tried the winchester supreme ammo?rambo701/23/2006 15:23 pm
Winchester 1200 12 gaugewanapasaki301/11/2009 22:08 pm
Winchestercodfish312/01/2006 12:04 pm
Model '94 "Blowback"?blackbear408/18/2007 05:11 am