10 replies [Last post]
.338x.416

Here's 4 groups shot with the above caliber. The 300 yd. groups are 3 shot with Retumbo powder and the last two at 400 yds. are 5 shot using the 300 gr. Sierra Match King HPBT using 117 gr. 50 BMG powder. Haven't got a chance to shoot it at long range yet but it won't be much of a problem out to 2000 yds. to hit some steel. First two shot groups on the left were shot with a Sierra 250 gr. Match King and last two fired with 300 gr. Match King bullet. Less than optimum conditions existed at time of testing as it was gusty and just a little windy!! The rifle will do better than this!

Don Fischer's picture
.338x.416

Nice group's Rick. I see in your note's it look's like neck sized 1 third? If that is what it is, I assume from the target's it holds the bullet's well. How many time's can you reload those cases befor you have to bump the shoulder back?

Don Fischer's picture
.338x.416

One more question if I can. That last group seem's to be right of the aiming point abot 1 1/2"? Is that a result of the twist drift you told me about?

Neck sized?

This is a rifle my buddy built up and the necks were sized 1/3 of the way down. The slight right is because of a strong L to R wind when shot!

Don Fischer's picture
.338x.416

That look's like another rifle with a barrel block for bedding. Is that block aluminum? I wonder why that is not avaliable on hunting type rifles? Perhaps just not necessary with shorter and lighter barrel's? I would guess that a heavy 26" to 30" barrel would put a lot of stress on an action if it were hung off the action.

Don Fischer's picture
.338x.416

I have noticed another thing. There seem's to be some kind of switch in front of the trigger. What is that?

What is that?
Don Fischer wrote:
I have noticed another thing. There seem's to be some kind of switch in front of the trigger. What is that?

This is a Jewell competition trigger and the switch is the safety switch and yes....the bedding tube is aluminum. There are 3 holes drilled into the bottom of the forearm which are used to attach the stock/barrel unit together. The bedding tube is completely encased/surrounded by MarineTex bedding compound and the barrel IS NOT touching the tube at any point of the circumference thereof. The entire length of the action is solidly bedded from front to rear but with the engineering David has put into this system.....NO STRESS is applied to the barrel/receiver unit! The receiver is not floating; just solidly bedded. The attachment screws going into the bottom of the stock and into the bedding tube is the only place where slight pressure is applied. The mount is a custom made with a 7 degree slope which will give an additional 70" of elevation on the target knobs if needed! As flat as this cartridge shoots....it doesn't need 'em!

Why isn't this system available on regular hunting rifles? Cost!! The arms manufacturers whom many are owned by foreign interest these days aren't concerned with getting involved with this kind of engineering! They only desire to sluff off on the general public what's been done for years! This IS NOT TO SAY.....that this applies to ALL of the manufacturers but in my opinion it meets the criteria of quite a few! This type of engineering requires the input of a TRUE RIFLE CRANK.....of which we have many able to do this type of work today!

If weather permits.....we're gonna shoot this BEAST from 1000 and 1500 yards today and see how it do!! I'll post photos later if we get adequate testing conditions! Yes

This rifle IS NOT one in which you would wish to tote across mountains! It's a rifle made for a specific purpose; hitting stuff WAY OVER YONDER! Rifle complete weighs in at 22# with scope!

Don Fischer's picture
.338x.416

I would like to see those photo's. That safty switch reminds me of the safty on the old Remington model 11 shotgun. Browning patient, looked just like the old auto 5. I suspect that forward is off? I'm guessing again, I seem to be doing a lot of that here, but does that switch automatically set and then need to be removed to fire? Maybe when the bolt is opened the sear return's and is locked until once again removed?

Now I'm thinking there might be a place for that on my 6.5x06! Do not forget if I get down there someday, you offered me a trip on your range! Thumbs up

Safety?

It's off when one takes it off and there until reset!

Trip to the range wouldn't be much! It's out my back door!! lol

This taken from 900 yd. line:

bitmasher's picture
.338x.416

For those that don't know, RMulhern's cartridge is incredibly powerful. The 300gr HPBT has an outstanding B.C. and launching at 3000fps+ has roughly 900ft*lbs of retained energy at 2500 yards. 900ft*lbs is roughly double the energy of a 1911 (45acp) at the muzzle. Impressive!

By comparision, the 338 Lapua with 250gr projectiles hangs out around 2900-3000fps at the muzzle.....

What is the OAL for the case? Is it identical to a Lapua or longer?

bitmasher's picture
.338x.416

I see the 4.132 OAL is that the loaded or unloaded? If its loaded, please post the unloaded OAL.